Differences between AT308 & AX308

Catch-22

A mate and I were trying to figure out what  the differences are between the AI AT308 and AX308 (not the AXMC). We were discussing what makes the £800 odd quid difference between both models (e.g. Both folders and both screw cut)?

As we understand it, the actions are the same and bonded, though the chassis themselves are different.

We think the other differences include;

- barrels are from different manufactures (AT is LW and AX are Bartlein), and also different thickneses/contours

- the action picatinny rail on the AT aren't bonded (just screwed) but on the AX the rail is both screwed and bonded

Is the above correct? Anything else we're missing? What is the primary reason for the price difference between the AT and AX?

Cheers!

If you are buying from the UK as opposed to US I would think both barrels are from LW. I thought it was only the US who got Bartlein barrels? 

Your pretty much only paying for the chassis system upgrade. Having the mag cut out is a nice touch on the AX which you don’t get on the AT.

A) do you have a need to have a full length rail? 

b) do you prefer thumbhole stock or pistol grip? 

C) which one do you prefer the look of? 

When your spending that much it isn’t really a lot in it price wise. Just get the one you want, they will shoot the same. 

7 hours ago, markymark said:

If you are buying from the UK as opposed to US I would think both barrels are from LW. I thought it was only the US who got Bartlein barrels? 

Your pretty much only paying for the chassis system upgrade. Having the mag cut out is a nice touch on the AX which you don’t get on the AT.

A) do you have a need to have a full length rail? 

b) do you prefer thumbhole stock or pistol grip? 

C) which one do you prefer the look of? 

When your spending that much it isn’t really a lot in it price wise. Just get the one you want, they will shoot the same. 

Agreed mark,plus the stock on the AX folds to the right shrouding  the bolt ,as opposed to the AT folding to the left. 

if you retro fit the AX adj.stock to the AT cost is around £700 I think ,so not a huge premium if you want those features

Thanks all - interesting to note the relatively small, if handy, differences between the two.

Personally Im not looking to buy a new rifle (though I've always loved the AI's and I'm sure I'll end up buying one at some point) but it was just hard to know if the differences were significant enough to warrant the £800 or so difference in price.

Thanks again!

Archived