Scope choices for .22 BR

Plecotus

At my club, we shoot a BR competition at 25m using the NSRA BR targets (https://www.nsrashop.co.uk/collectio...0-br-15-target).

I've been shooting this discipline with my Volquartsen 10/22 for a seaso now, averaging low 90s on each card. I've just bought an Anschutz 1813 in a Supermatch stock, with the intention of becoming a bit more competitive and am looking at a scope for it. I have a shortlist of two: the Sightron SII 36×42 BRD or the Hawke Sidewinder 30 SF 8-32×56 with perhaps the Weaver T36 as a reserve option.

I know both the Sigtron and Weaver are well used by BR shooters but I'm wondering if 36x might be a bit too much magnification at 25m? The comp I shoot does not permit the use of a rear bag,  just a front rest (or bipod) so I'm thinking that I'm not going to be quite as stable, when it comes to shakes(!) as those who shoot BR with heavy front rest and rear bag.

That's my question then....is 32x just too much at 25m or would this be an appropriate magnification for the discipline I shoot?

I shoot the same competitions at our club. With same rules in regards to the no rear bag. I just use the bipod. 

I use a 4-16 power Hawke scope on a CZ455 Precision Trainer and scored a 100.4 last week. I set mine at 12x mag. 

So I'd doubt you'd need all that zoom though I know a lot of the guys at the club do use up to that magnification, though I'm not sure it gives them any advantage at that range. 

I'll admit though that I fancy the 6-24 sidewinder and have it on my watch list. 

I believe there is a sidewinder for sale on here at the moment that could be what your looking for. 

5 hours ago, Plecotus said:

That's my question then....is 32x just too much at 25m or would this be an appropriate magnification for the discipline I shoot?

I shoot 50m 22br no rear support. I have used weaver t36 and i found it too much mag. Fine in practice but in comp i get the shakes when the pressure is on and get worse the more i try not to. I need to reduce magnification but cannot with a t36 so my scores suffer. I have done better with tasco 6-24*42 on cz452. I found t36 better at 100 yds but i think it's too much for 25yds, 8-32 would be better as somewhere in that range will work assuming fine crosshair. 

Many thanks again for all the comments and opinions.  I also took some soundings on another board. 

Here's what I've done. I discovered that there is an optics supplier here in the UK who give you 60 days to try a 'scope ordered by mail and, if you don't get on with it in that time, they will swap it for something else. I ordered a Sightron 36 x 42 BRD. It's now arrived. I'm going to put it on the rifle and shoot it over the next couple of weeks and see how it goes.  One thing that influenced me was that I may want to try .22 BR at 50 or 100yds in the future, where 36x would probably be more than appropriate. 

I'll update the thread when I can give some feedback on how it goes.

I regularly shoot benchrest .22 in the postal leagues.

I would say definitely that a Weaver T36 or equivalent Leupold is required.

I not be shooting using a bipod either! The recoil spreads the impact too much.

Use good ammo, Eley Match or Tenex or RWS R50 if you want to get good results.

Well, just to let you know I've had a few sessions with the Sightron 36x42 BRD and it's a keeper. Bearing in mind it's on a new (to me) rifle, I shot three x 10 target cards last Friday and hit 100(5x). 97(3x) and 100(5x) at 25m. As someone on this thread suggested, it has caused me to think more about my breathing and trigger squeeze.   This was off a bipod.  I am using Eley Match.  A bit more expensive than Thanks to all who offered their opinions.  

Plecotus,

Just dabbling in the BR comp at my local club, really does make you concentrate on your technique, I need to sort out the 'regulation' front rest which is a bit of a strange set up (to me) to compete.

Finding the 22rf ammo your rifle likes is the key, in my case R50 seems to do well.

Ended up with a zoom scope which max's out at 32x, can wind back on 'the bad days'

T

Archived