Whats your opinion on Howa Stainless rifles ?

Hi guys need some info from you , a friend of mine is looking to get rid of his Howa Stainless laminated 2506 , its done about 100 rnds max

The rilfe is mine for very little money and I mean very little :unsure:

Whats do you reckon on them ?

Would this be OK for a 6.5x284 ,project ?

Cheers Andy

You often hear of folk buying the selling them with few rounds through them - you either seem to get a good one, or one that needs £1K spending on it to get it to shoot. You pays your money and you takes your choice I guess...but be wary and ask why is he selling it so cheap after so few rounds?? But otherwise - as the basis for a project - why not?

Nothing wrong with them. Got a factory 22-250 that shoots well.

I'm just bedding a new 270wsm with a LW barrel that shot 1/2"

first time without load developement.

Word is out that the factory barrel is a b itch to remove.

edi

The L/A Howa is ideal to make a 6.5x284 on, they are nice (made to a budget) the triggers, well personaly I dont like them, but they can be polished to be just about creep free....just.

If its a cheap gun, there is nothing to be lost buying it and having it re-barrelled.

Sounds like a decent project to me.

Hear what you say Pat, but there is limited bullet choice for 257 calibre opposed to numerous in .264.

I have both 25-06 and 6.5x284, the "284" has longer legs, but the "06" flattens anything it touches within reasonable range....

I picked up a howa 204 a few weeks ago in the placky crappy stock & i have to say i paid next to mothing for it in realy quite tidy condition!

I was told it hadent hada lot of use so i got the rfd to bung a few rounds down it & he said he got jsut over half inch out of it so i went for it!

had it choped down to 21" as i wanted it for a truck gun & first time out with no load development it shot under 1" @200 yds with boht nosler vmax in 32g flavor!:-)

39g blitz kings go into less then half inch at 100 so for a couple of hundred quid im stoked!

lightened the trigger down to around to 2lb with almsot no creep with ease but it aint no jewle

jsut feels a cheap after a custom rifle but hey ho it bloody was! :P

cheers Andy

Guest northernchris

If its coming for right money its a no brainer,tweek std trigger or fit a Jard etc , barrels are tight but come adrift if warmed lightly,could be a nice little project.

If its coming for right money its a no brainer,tweek std trigger or fit a Jard etc , barrels are tight but come adrift if warmed lightly,could be a nice little project.

If a guy is going to bin the factory barrel, and doesn't want to heat the action, he can make a small sawcut into the barrel just ahead of the action, then try wrenching it off. just another kink..

JR

By the way,who turned the heat off in this country, ha!!

Guest northernchris

Or even chuck it up and run a relief cut couple of thou in front of the action,no spanner needed then but hot air gun most of the time gets it going.

Did you bring the fog with you aswell JR :angry:

Archived