In ear hearing protection.

MJR

Does anyone have any recommendations. Looked at the moulded to you ear type and they look good but wonder if the fit changes over time? Also looked at the 3M LEP 100 and wonder if they might be more of a 'universal' fit. Any users out there?

I've had moulded ones inc some very expensive electronic ones, I was never that impressed with the fit (they "fit" but foam ear plugs expand to fit better...hope that makes sense)

Also any movement such as turning your head seemed to alter the fit, fit does change over time, but you'll probably get fed up or lose one long before that (is happened to me) and that sets you right back

Now I use a regular set of electronic Peltors but also have a box of 3M yellow foam plugs, which are excellent...and cheap too

Mark, thanks, that confirms what I suspected of the moulded types. I use electronic peltors to and plan on still using them for being around shooting but want to try in ear for whilst im shooting. 3M do an in ear electronic version with a standard type ear plug, might try those.

I have just ordered some of the 3m lep 200 ones after much trailing the internet. There is a lot of good review's from shooters on Amazon and also a lot of good recommendation on stalking directory. 

I've had fitted plugs and as your ears are cartilage, they are constantly growing and the plugs last around 18 months before you start to notice a decrease in effectiveness.

I now use 3M TEP-100 (same as the LEP-100 but were only sold in the US) with the 3M Skull Screws fitted and they are way more effective than fitted plugs ever were.

The passive fit of any custom plugs is only as good as the impressions. Believe me, taking quality impressions is a lot harder than you'd imagine, and I've taken tens of thousands over the years. Ask any hearing aid manufacturer- they'd say probably one third of clinicians who do it all the time can deliver a top impression when it counts. As for the occasional operator with minimal training, good luck..

I only use custom plugs (various models made from high-end hearing aid components)  and have mine remoulded about every 5-8 years. Ears vary in how they drift in shape over time. If you lose any weight at all, the fit of plugs can go to hell quickly.

From what I've seen of mobile plug makers who do impressions at shows and events, the average standard is cr@p. Saw one impression at a show that had gone past the cotton dam and was hard against the drum. That's one small step from a disaster. They had NO idea what they were doing and the resultant fit would have been terrible.

Archived