Browning x bolt.

moonfleet

Still looking for a new rifle I’ve been looking for over a year and thought of a T3x super varmint, but I’ve seen a browning x bolt stainless fluted with adjustable  cheek piece rifling  twist is 1 in 8 or  1-9 as I’ve enquired. has anyone any experience with the x bolt or perhaps owns one?it sounds a pretty nice rifle but  what’s people’s views on them.

6 hours ago, moonfleet said:

Still looking for a new rifle I’ve been looking for over a year and thought of a T3x super varmint, but I’ve seen a browning x bolt stainless fluted with adjustable  cheek piece rifling  twist is 1 in 8 or  1-9 as I’ve enquired. has anyone any experience with the x bolt or perhaps owns one?it sounds a pretty nice rifle but  what’s people’s views on them.

Brief synopsis

Trigger most definitely does not do what is says on the tin - IMHO, it is way too heavy for my taste

Dura-touch stock (if that's the config you're contemplating?) ...is very nice indeed, although CZ also produce the soft touch stock in similar price bracket and IMHO is a far superior rifle. Although, if you're of the mindset on the range 'don't care how it shoots, as long as it's aesthetically pleasing', it may suit . However, if you hunt the probability of scaggs/scratches increases, and therefore won't suit (if you like the rifle to still look nice)

Best feature of all is without doubt position of safety - perfectly placed and something most, if not all, manufacturers should consider

Are they accurate? - reload (roll a good cigarette and you'll get a good smoke)  

Of more important concern is you're "still looking for a new rifle for over a year"? ..I hear golf is quite a popular  ?

ATB

A friend of mind bought a Browning against my  more preferred recommendation for a  Tikka or Sako. He now has a Sako after huge disappointment with the Brownings performance especially in trigger and accuracy which are most key elements. The Sako was much more expensive though!! ,,,feel a bit more financial pain or save a bit longer,,,it will be worth it. Calibre in question was 308 with lighter weight barrels where the Sako would provide sustained  performance over the Brownings.Not that you would normally subject  light weight barrels to extended fire but the Browning clearly would not hold a decent group despite load development and timely cool bore shots over the Sako. The Sako would also hold group long after the Browning on extended shooting as well. Just my view and with hands on shooting of both.Hope this helps a little,,,O

12 hours ago, snakeman said:

Of more important concern is you're "still looking for a new rifle for over a year"

Not really.  If you have definite features/performance in mind it is easy.  The majority of production rifles have features which are more about cost than function and if you don't want to accept that then there is a bit of a hunt for a rifle that does not compromise in areas that you deem important. Combine that with calibre choice and off you go.

I was looking at barrel twist rate and adjustable stock in.223, and thought the browning would fit the bill I did look at a tikka T3x super varmint but changed my mind weight was the biggest issue.i had a look at a Remington 700 police 20inch with a pillar bedded stock fluted barrel but no stock adjustment.i see sako do a nice rifle stainless with ceracoated. Carbon fibre stock so nice and light and of course sako quality, however not available in .223.

• 2 years later...

Browning made a big mistake with the trigger. The unit is sound in design zero creep but far to heavy. I took this up one year with the chaps from Browning at the CLA game fair but they weren't much interested in what their customers have to say. I had an early model with the feather trigger unit , not quite sure why they gave it that name. They then pushed the fact that they have fitted a beter unit the super feather which basically is the original set to its lowest setting which is heavy. The Xbolt is an excellent rifle other than the trigger ,the composite stock has a nice soft feel, I have set up a few all in 243 and all have been sub half MOA with bespoke home loads and they look good. The only fix back then was to replace the group with a Jard unit. This set me back over £100 and they are double that now. So there it is, a fine rifle let down by a  overly heavy trigger. 

I still have my stainless flutted example which is a lovely stalking rifle once fitted with the trigger it deserves.