308AI

shrek

Is there such a caliber? this well may be a silly question but wouldnt a 308 with 40 degree shoulder be any good? or wouldnt it make much difference as i know the case capacity wouldnt be much more.

Just a couple of random questions id had for awhile!!

Please tell me if im being stupid (apart from ratwhiskers, you will take advantage of it :D)

In the book "Precision Shooting at 1000 yards" There is an artical on 3000yd shooting using Custom Win model 70's in 308 Ackley improved, the shooters being Creg Slack and Bruce Artus.

They easily hit a 16" steel gong at 3100yds and Creg dusts a 3000yd + praire dog.

I am sure if you did a search you could find the artical, alternatively buy the book its a good read in its own right.

Ian.

They easily hit a 16" steel gong at 3100yds

Easily?! Easily?! You're having a laugh! :D

http://www.northfloridashooting.com/Misc/2...DogShooters.htm

To quote JBM (of JBM ballistics) on LRH:

I keep seeing articles about these very, very long shots. As much as I'd like to be able to believe, it seems to me that most of them use quite a bit of ammunition to hit the target.

In the article "Trials and Tribulations of Making the Long Shot" (at http://slrharbor.com/), there is this little tidbit:

It took five trips to Montana, 1,000 rounds of ammo, and Ken’s excellent spotting and coaching before I finally got the job done, shooting a dog at 2,110 yards.

If I read that right, he shot over 1000 times before he hit the target at greater than 2000 yards. I may be labeled as a heretic for saying this, but I don't think that's accuracy -- it's perseverance.

Can you say: B-E-A-T-E-N Z-O-N-E ? :D

Have the book and read the article,

the mounts required to elevate the scope inorder to get the right elevation to connect a 308(AI) to a gong at 3000+ yards are in excess of silly elevation :D

About 9 inches incline I recall without looking at the book and the projectile (a 190g SMK I think) is well below supersonic on impact.

The chap had to machine extended bases with canting mounts and had a silly cheek extension on the rifle in order to retain scope picture.......

In my view this was a, "I think I can do it, and by god we will, no matter how hard it is" excersise"

Are there any gains over the standard 308?

Not in my book :D

Great read and cracking book by the way :D

• 1 month later...

40 degree shoulder does two things it increases the case capacity and helps in case life by stopping the case neck stretching .gives about 150+ fps more but reduces barrel life ..i do a lot of reading :angry:

But the extra powder you put in reduces barrel life accordingly not that that is much of an issue in 308.

I just cant see why anyone would need to AI a 308 case, there are better ways at 1000 yards plus, just look at the F class boys and 7mm WSM etc.

A

40 degree shoulder does two things it increases the case capacity and helps in case life by stopping the case neck stretching .gives about 150+ fps more but reduces barrel life ..i do a lot of reading :angry:

That 150 fps more could be done with certain (slow) powders, but over all you'd gain nothing worth yakking about. Increased case capacity = reduced pressures/velocities with a given charge. Increase the charge weight and you work your way back to the starting point of pressure and velocity. Adding more powder from that point leaves you toying with excessive pressures. Only with slower powders -usually those of marginal or poor efficiency for the case capacity and bore diameter- will you see a velocity increase while remaining within acceptable pressures. My 30-06 Ackley is a fine rifle but will deliver no added performance unless I use the slowest powders; the ones that I could never get enough into the standard case to reach upper pressure levels.

If you guys really want to have some eye opening fun, get a "Pressure Trace" unit and get some direct pressure readings from your rifle and loads. The sensors are expensive ($70 per rifle) and the equipment is the cost of a rifle itself, but you'd be surprised at the kind of chamber pressures your pet loads deliver. ~Andrew

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/pressure.htm

Archived