A few little questions for reloaders in general

Oly

OK - so a coule of little questions for reloaders to put my mind at ease:

1.) How many rounds do you load in an hour?

I am quite fussy about measuring, trickling etc etc but (for example) last night I reloaded 25 in just over an hour (using a batch of new cases), using a standard press (not turret). But I'm sure I've heard people averaging over 100/hr. :lol:

2.) What variation in OAL are you getting between loaded rounds?

I use a Redding Competition seater, but last night I was experiencing variation in OAL of up to 3 thou - when no variables had been altered etc :rolleyes: - I was literally loading one after another of identical rounds. Previously I have experienced 1 or 2 thou, but thought I would ask what others find and what is acceptable - and is it worth turning it down a bit for those odd ones?

In anticipation - Thanks :o

OK - so a coule of little questions for reloaders to put my mind at ease:

1.) How many rounds do you load in an hour?

I am quite fussy about measuring, trickling etc etc but (for example) last night I reloaded 25 in just over an hour (using a batch of new cases), using a standard press (not turret). But I'm sure I've heard people averaging over 100/hr. :lol:

2.) What variation in OAL are you getting between loaded rounds?

I use a Redding Competition seater, but last night I was experiencing variation in OAL of up to 3 thou - when no variables had been altered etc :rolleyes: - I was literally loading one after another of identical rounds. Previously I have experienced 1 or 2 thou, but thought I would ask what others find and what is acceptable - and is it worth turning it down a bit for those odd ones?

In anticipation - Thanks :o

hi mate hope these anwsers help

1. i can load about 35 rounds an hour , but i am like you and quite finicky , i measure every charge weight and i oal measure every round as well using an ogive bushing

2. i can usually get 1 or 2 thou difference in say 100 rounds

hope this helps mark

Oly: I think that someone loading 100 rounds an hour with a non-progressive unit is a bit of an exaggeration. It takes me 2.5 hours to load 100 rounds of 22 Hornet (one of the rounds I am very picky about) starting from fired cases. With these loads I am not weighing each charge but I uses a Belding and Mull measure which delivers exceptional accuracy. With other calibers I am not so finicky and the loading goes faster. I think that with the extra care you use, the rate you are loading at is acceptable....provided, of course, that you get the results you want. If you simply "tossed" the charges from a measure and got the same results then you'd obviously be wasting time.

You didn't say what caliber/powder/usage/rifle you are loading for but bear in mind that some calibers using some powders don't require the precision of weighing each charge. I no longer weigh individual charges unless it's something experimental or low capacity/high intensity. If you have ever watched bench rest shooters at work, loading between shots, you will see the lack of a scale in their loading kit. They have excellent powder measures, but the scale is not at the bench with them. If you have a powder and charge weight that stays at reasonable pressures (not at the ragged edge of maximum) and has good loading density -fills the case- then you might try skipping the trickling charges. With certain powders in the slower categories, it is a decided waste of time unless you are riding maximum pressures which, as most know, is a foolish thing to do anyhow. My cast bullet bench rest competition loads are loaded with a dipper! I scoop up the powder and card off the excess. If that method inhibits accuracy I have yet to see it.

If you wish speed up the process, I'd try finding a way to eliminate weighing the charges. JMHO, of course.~Andrew

The measuring and the instruments used for measuring all have a range of acceptable accuracy, plus the variable human hand as well. So seeing slight variation is not surprising at all, nothing in this world is perfect and so there is a plus/minus percent on everything you do and use, if you add up the innacuracies of all the different things your variation is not a lot andI wouldnt worry about it. A variation in oal of less than .005" ( five thou) will not affect your accuracy particularly in the normal calibres.

Redfox

Hi Oly,

With regard to the measurement of your loaded rounds - are you measuring the overall length to the tip of the bullet or to the ogive?

If you are measuring to the tip, you will get different OAL especially if you are using soft nosed or BT bullets.

If you are measuring to the ogive though then the bullets should not vary very much.

If you are using compressed loads you can also get a variance in oal.

Hope this helps.

I fell into the trap of measuring plastic pointed bullets to the tip, I now weigh and batch bullets by weight and length then just load a batch with the same size bullet. Just keep the die setting constant.

Time wise I have no idea, I tend to prepare in batch's of maybe 20 then load when I get to 40 or 60 cases. Speed is not important, what is important is to make the best round you possable can, that cannot be done by rushing (thats when mistakes happen). It would take me as long to set the equpiment up as it does to load 40 rounds. A Harrel powder measure will allow you to drop loads straight into the cases for sub 300 yard work, with other dispensers you may need to weigh and trickle up adding time. In fairness I have a Harrel but still trickle up, usually.

Progressive presses are not normally used by loaders looking for optimum accuracy, there is for instance no way of cleaning a primer pocket.

A

Thanks for the responses guys - certainly clarifies things in my mind!

In response to a couple of the queries - .243Win & measuring to the ogive

Archived