Wheres BASC going with this ?

Wsm

I`ve just been passed the following link

http://www.basc.org.uk/content/sporting_rifle_training_c

Call me cynical but how long will it be before the Police pick up on this and insist that we all have to have this qualification before being granted a cert/renewal just as some have tried to do with the DSC scheme ?

And even if this scheme was a good idea how can the cost of £200 plus for each module be justified ?

It looks like another own goal from the "voice of shooting" :ph34r:

£45 for an APL approval yer right.

APL......... all please laugh

So who wants it or who needs it?

Why should anybody be interested? or whats in it for me/you ?

Just being cynical and I'm sure there is good intention behind it............isn't there

Candidates will be required to gain the two mandatory modules 1 Basic Rifle and 2 Advanced Rifle plus supplementary modules they wish to take. Once a candidate has achieved modules 1 & 2 plus a supplementary module the candidate will be eligible for the award.

So you have to do 3 modules @ £210 each -£630 = damn expensive,Just like the cost of thier membership. :ph34r:

Good old BASC, if there is a way of extracting money whilst attacking from behind, they will think it up.

Thats why after 30 yrs I dropped them and will not join again, you lads who are still members will happily give them more money I'm sure, or will you see sense and join one of the other good organisations and stop supporting them!!!!!

Redfox

Good old BASC, if there is a way of extracting money whilst attacking from behind, they will think it up.

Thats why after 30 yrs I dropped them and will not join again, you lads who are still members will happily give them more money I'm sure, or will you see sense and join one of the other good organisations and stop supporting them!!!!!

Redfox

yep i agreee with you there, i left a few years ago after the pigeon shooting fiasco . i then joined the ngo.

Yes this does seem like a joke, however BASC scotland certainly seem to be alot better than the rest of britain. I am a personal friend of the lads who run BASC scotland and they have done some amazing things to keep our sport going, especially on the wildfowling side, a i saw behind the scenes on the wigtown bay LNR fiasco, and the amount of work the guys did too secure and pass the bylaws to safe guard the future of wildfowling on wigtown bay, as i have seen in depth, the amount of work these guys do for our shooting, i am happy to support them!

I've read that twice to try to spot where it says:

"The Aim of the Sporting Rifle Course is...."

or

"The Sporting Rifle Qualification provides the holder with the following..."

Can't see it anywhere :lol: ;

the qualification appears to be what, in military planning, is often referred to as 'masturbationary paperwork' -it provides nothing of value but makes the person doing it feel good.

There will always be defenders of BASC but in my opinion they are not the voice for me.

I changed to SACS and won't be going back. Thats not to say SACS are better than others, NGO etc but I feel basc is at the bottom of the list, if indeed on the same list :lol:

I also feel that the sporting shooter is being targeted for more cash, getting that lot under your belt will be the thick end of £1500 plus fees etc for level 2. A bit like the meat handing tickets, one for deer another for rabbits etc. I know of someone who paid £750 for a day out with a well known guide and level 2 witness and they saw nothing at all all day.

Has anyone asked BASC to comment on this ?, I have a feeling that there is a BASC staff member on Guntrader if he is not here.

A

BASC have run courses for years - over 20 years in fact - this is nothing new.

Most of the other organisations run courses as well - so why pick on BASC- just an easy target eh? NOBS run a beaters course vor about £75 - do you think that will stop people coming into beating?

There is no prospect of compulsory training that I know of. But IF compulsory testing comes in who would you want it delivered by: Multiple sourses that you, the consumer can choose from such as CA, NGO, BASC, BDS, SGA,CPSA et al thus keeping the costs low..or some Government one stop shop quango with no competition and thus no pressure to keep prices low?

One of BASC objectives is to set and maintain standards in shooting - running courses is one way of achieving this, producing codes of practice is another - can you think of a better way? Let me know

To suggest that BASC or others running courses is against shooting or against people coming into shooting is silly - but good old BASC bashing at its best!

Some land owners will require evidence of trainnig to mitigate themsleves under the Occupiers Liability Act 1957 and 1984, and 1966 somthing that I think many of the people who post on here are perhaps not aware of?

Ta

David

Yep, I contacted DavidBASC on PW forum the other day for BASC's view on this, especially a reply to post 157.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...c=34237&hl=

The posts winds on a bit into 12+ pages, but gets turned onto this subject....above is his reply to a PM I sent him, asking for his answer, since he commented in the PW thread.

I have his permission to copy/paste his return PM, he adds that if anyone wanting to contact himself regarding the matter, could they please do it via PM/Email, since he has a workload at the moment.

I cannot believe that only a few members on PW have picked up on this,

BJ.

Sounds like a money spinning idea ...and nothing more.

call me a Scotsman if you like,

but basc prices are getting out of hand,

this year my wife placed the direct debit in place to prevent me forgetting to do it,

but this is as above, A MONEY SPINING JOB IF I EVER HEARD ONE, its almost as bad as the prices to take your DSC courses,

My way of thinking is if the collage/school that is holding the course sets the prices according to the class size rather than to fill fat cats wage packets the hobby would be a lot better off,

example,

a 1 on 1 1 week course £350,00 set at this price with a charge of £25 for a retake of any of its componant parts.

The price per person could be spread over how many attend the course so another

example.

5 on the same 1 week course, price to be set at £150 per head with the same retake fees as above.

and it goes on to a maximum of 10 persons in a class at £100 per person and the same retest fees.

this would cause a influx of people not only wanting the course but forming a Que for it, thus increasing the funds raised buy the teaching body as well as the country getting more officially qualified persons on the land managing it correctly and cost effectively,

the teaching collage school can also earn extra cash, with things like rifle hire for the tests, range days and firearms handling course on and at the same time, those who are in possession of their own firearms can and should be encouraged to use them where and when possible.

Again all ammo used on the course is purchased from the school ( at lower rates that can be sustained by the school so not to loose money in doing so.)

and having a canteen helps make money too.

and if the lack of schools / locations seems to be a problem, then this could be done on estates with the use of official instructors,

god I could go on and on and on,

and this is my fault, as i just can.t be bothered as no one listens.

bob.

Think its time to switch...NGO here I come.

I think its time everyone switched their insurance from these to**ers to someone worthy of the fee.

Perhaps a Petition is in order to send the message?

if you can mate read the latest copy of the ngo mag called

"keeping the balance" there is an article in there about what the ngo insurance covers and doesnt cover

how i understand it if you are a full time keeper like me you arnt covered at all by the insurance and if you sare a normal shooting bloke the cover is better

i find this laughable for a organisation for keepers to not cover full time keepers .

if you can mate read the latest copy of the ngo mag called

"keeping the balance" there is an article in there about what the ngo insurance covers and doesnt cover

how i understand it if you are a full time keeper like me you arnt covered at all by the insurance and if you sare a normal shooting bloke the cover is better

i find this laughable for a organisation for keepers to not cover full time keepers .

how about a "uk varminters organisation"

This has been mentioned on another site as well, another voice for stalkers!!!

I have always kept away from BASC and this is one of the fundamental reasons why.

I have the DSC1 AND 2 and if that doesn't cover the first and second then I may as well give up now. This really is BASC going above and beyond the cause to raise as much money as possible for themselves.

If this was to go through (which I dont think it would) then there would be an absolute uproar from professional gamekeepers as this is the first group that would be getting forced into a corner. If BASC were to support anything as crude as this or heaven forbid try and be the driving force behind it then I think they would put a nail in their own coffins.

J

Guest rogern

I am also geting spooked by the constant 'invention' of new ideas by BASC & the cost of membership.

The only reason I stay is for the insurance & firearms enquiry support side, generally if BASC get 'on your case' with plod, they usually back off, its maybe paranoia but I dont think any other org has the same level of cover & support.

Please tell me I am wrong and I will leave BASC tomorrow and I will write and tell them why.

Regards

maybe paranoia but I dont think any other org has the same level of cover & support.[/quote]

Hi Rogern, I was with BASC a while ago & received poor support once, was also there for the Insurance. I left them & went with the NGO....but recently in there monthly mag I read what exactly you are covered for in their Insurance with the NFU...it's pretty basic.

I'm now changing to SACS, who also give you Legal cover, aswell as you being covered for EVERYTHING you do in your sport...also, it doesn't matter if your south of the border either.

Forgot to add, it's half the price aswell.

BJ.

Guest rogern

BJ, I contacted SACS and you are right, they cover everything if not more than BASC for about £32.00 a year.

My BASC runs out in June 09, I will not be renewing and.........................

they even take sassanachs :angry:

Yep, I'm the same, the end of this month & I'm off to join SACS as well,

Even covers you for keeping birds, an added bonus,

BJ.

WELL DO SACS HAVE A WEB SITE, IF SO POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION, COZ IM IN IT AS WELL AFTER NEXT YEAR.

BOB.

Archived