Painting a stock

Brillo

We done loads in car paints the results are great, mostly air brush work.

I was going to say it's like all "painting/spraying" it's all in the prep, but with your last post you're already aware of that....

You probably know this already to, but in high use/rub areas, i would give it a coat or 2 of mat lacquer.

Cost and the satisfaction of doing it myself plus the ability to change the colour if I don't like it first time.

Apologies i thought you were the original OP. I've done one before, it was a laminated stock. I bought the wrong stock. I bought a bench rest stock, which had a 3 or 4 inch forend! I believe it was this forum i started my post about how i did it some years back. It was bare wood, and very rough to say the least! I wanted to use Cuprinol wood dye to get the colour right. I got loads of negative sarcastic comments about that. Especially by one pretentious member. Anyhow, i used an electric planer to thin down the forend, and a small 1" wide bend sander to "mould" it to my liking. Then used cuprinol light oak dye to darken it, then used the Birchwood Casey kit to finish it. It looked great and was nice to use as a whole gun. Yet i was told by Mr Pretentious it couldn't be done. Narrow minds.... I sold the stock seperately and got a good amount of my money back.

I appreciate it's not wood, but it just goes to show, if you don't try you'll never know.

Hope all goes well. :)

Here's one I did using paint left over from when my wife was painting her garden gnomes.

Although the bolt is forward I can assure you it is unloaded !

post-11407-0-58671100-1503772271_thumb.jpg

post-11407-0-74800500-1503772297_thumb.jpg

Archived