howa floorplate.

baldie

Here you go folks. My buddy, John at AIM fieldsports, has a howa, he,s just had rebarrelled in 6-6.5x47.It was a single shot, and he wanted a mag fed gun for tactical etc. He said, can you do it? ;)

DSCN1659.jpg

DSCN1658.jpg

As you can see, the remington floorplate of ours, will fit with some mods.The magazines need a small amount removing, and an internal spacer, and the front action screw needs a stainless escutcheon, setting into devcon, which blends in nicely as its bedded.The front guard hole, has a screw holding it to the stock, whilst the rear action screw works as normal.Voila ! ten rounds of what you want.

Good going Dave,looks like good work.Think Rodale did something pretty much the same useing the Bager system.

Yep, John [the customer ] had seen that, but didn,t want to send the work to germany.

It would be an even neater job on an un-inletted stock.

magazines and floorplates seem to be something that builders fight shy of...There is a definate "mindset" with them, as you will know Chris. You can stand there for hours on end, with several pillar measurements etc, all going through your brain...then once you have done a few, fitting a system becomes childs play, and you can virtually weigh up whether a system will work/fit, just by looking at it.

• 3 weeks later...

Thats good news that howa are going to do a floorplate, and mag system. However, i,ll bet they havent any plans to do a 10 shot mag. They will probarbly go the same route as remington, and offer 5 rounders for the sporting shooter, as basically this is the market that the howa is aimed at, and ultimatley sold to.

They will probarbly go the same route as remington, and offer 5 rounders for the sporting shooter, as basically this is the market that the howa is aimed at, and ultimatley sold to.

You might find Dave that they do 3 shot mag’s, this is because you have trouble getting a double stack magazine working without machining the Howa action. This why I went for a double stack/feed from the central position mag’ when I made my Howa mag’ conversion.

If Highland did one I think the easiest way for them would be a single stack mag’ if it is to fit flush with the bottom of the action, that would give you a 3 shot. But they might surprise us with a double stacker feed centrally mag,. :D

Best rgds

B-b

Here you go folks. My buddy, John at AIM fieldsports, has a howa, he,s just had rebarrelled in 6-6.5x47.It was a single shot, and he wanted a mag fed gun for tactical etc. He said, can you do it? :(

Hi dave,

When you say that your mates Howa was a single shot, did you mean that it was a solid bottomed action and you milled a mag recess or was it an ADL type format with a single shot follower?

Ian.

Hi Ian,

No buddy, its a bog std howa with the drop/hinged floorplate, just like a bdl remmy. Infact, the magazine port in the underside is virtually identical to the remmy.John had the original spring and follower in the gun, and a single shot plate sat in, on the top of that.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived