Case Problems

Guest Billyt

Hi Guys,

I have been reloading for some time now, i have just changed rifle.

I full length resized the cases as you would with a new chamber, measured, trimmed to length, de-burred etc but notice some not all of them will not fit the chamber properly ! The bolt will not close as if the case is too long, it is the same on empty cases as loaded.

Measured the case with calipers and all seem ok !

Any Ideas.

Hi Guys,

I have been reloading for some time now, i have just changed rifle.

I full length resized the cases as you would with a new chamber, measured, trimmed to length, de-burred etc but notice some not all of them will not fit the chamber properly ! The bolt will not close as if the case is too long, it is the same on empty cases as loaded.

Measured the case with calipers and all seem ok !

Any Ideas.

is this a headspace issue

I would not take anything off of the shell holder to start. Just screw the FL sizing down hard enough to take the slack out of the ram and try it again. Alternatively, it may be that the brass isn't being sized down enough at the head to fit your new chamber. Have you inked a case and run it in to see where the hang-up is? I'd do so if I were you. ~Andrew

Billy,

I have a motto, "New rifle, New brass" its something i believe in strongly.

When i first started handloading for rifle i had a 22-250 Ruger VT which i traded in against a Winchester Mod 70 HV in the same calibre and no matter how much i tried to re-size the brass previously fired in the Ruger, it would not fit the Winchester.

In the end i bought new unprimed brass and have done so ever since.

Whats an extra £50 or so when you have just shelled out hundreds on a new burner.

Ian.

Sounds like your measuring OAL rather than base to shoulder distance presuming its a rim less case.

If you measured the headspace measurement on the cases you might be surprised. I had a similar problem where a couple of cases were tight and others of the same batch were easy fits. I turned a tool on the lathe, you can buy them and they go on the caliper so you can do the correct measure. 3 thou is alot when talking about the good and bad fits and that was all it needed.

How I checked,

The difference was enough on a bipod to lift the butt off the floor on lifting the bolt as opposed to the good ones leaving the butt on the floor.

Nipped the die down tighter and all should be well.

Billy,

Unless your previous rifle had a headspace problem then i dont think that your fired brass not chambering is caused by headspace.

Its more likely to be the base of the case the small portion just infront of the extracter groove that never gets resized properly especially with cases that have been fired a few times, this is enough to stop your fired cases from chambering especially if your new rifle has a chamber cut to the tighter end of the specs.

Ian.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived