Camera purchase advice needed...

1967spud

I'm wanting to buy a camera and lens for taking product images for my website i.e. catalog type shots

What lens do I go for and any thing camera spec wise to look out for ?

Also can any body shed or recommend a basic light set up I have room for a semi permanent set up.

For the most versatility I'd go with an SLR. No need to go nuts on spec, the entry level EOS 1300D digital SLR or Nikon D3400 Digital SLR with the standard 18-55mm lens that comes with will be more than sufficient for product images where you can control the lighting.

As for lighting, for products, I'd always go with something like the Lastolite light table with a set of continuous lamps. The Interfit F5 Three-Head Fluorescent Lighting Kit is good for a reasonable price.

Unless you have experience, I'd stay away from flashes/strobes as it takes some learning to get what you want.

Thanks is it worth a macro as well? Or will that one do it?

Your thoughts on photo editing i want white back grounds etc

If you want to get really close up high resolution shots of tiny things then a macro would be useful but in reality, for web images, you can simply crop a wider image and not lose enough detail to matter.

For white backgrounds, it's always better to shoot on a white background. The Lastolite light table I mentioned is excellent for that.

For editing including the ability to create fake backgrounds of any type I'd go with the Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan. Adobe use a subscription system now so it costs about £10 per month for that plan and you get the latest versions of Photoshop and Lightroom which will do all you need and much more. Photoshop used to cost nearly £700 as a stand alone application and £200ish for Lightroom so the subscription model is better.

Hi Mark

For my website and products, I use a Canon EOS 40D and an EOS7 plus two lenses: one is a prime lens (50mm 1.8) the other my Tamron SPAF XR F2.8 17-55VC....it compared favourably with the entry level cannon L series lenses on resolution so made sense; I also use a full Elinchrome lighting studio flash set up and Courtney flash meter. You don't need to go nuts (as above) just pick any SLR which gives reasonable resolution and which you can work in RAW (if you're comfortable using RAW files) as this allows better post shot editing, be that in photoshop or just using a more basic RAW processing engine (I use Canon's own RAW DPP software and it's adequate). I don't use photoshop 1) because it is time intensive and I simply don't have that time and 2) because properly set up, you shouldn't need it to get some reasonable shots. Here's a few that I took for some of my produces without any photo-shopping....not perfect but adequate for a web product page:

RFC_FurnitureSlider_03.jpg

WC_Cables_XLR_Ref_Saturn_510.jpg

Reference-Rhapsody-driver.jpg

MG_9239.jpg

I am careful to pick lenses that maximise image quality for a reasonable outlay. Of the lenses supplied with packages, I think that Nikon probably have the edge these days, but as to which camera, just pick the one that fits best in the hand, and which you can use pretty instinctively. I also use a Manifrotto tripod. There's so little to choose between cameras these days though.

Lighting matters. I'd advise that you don't go the very basic Ebay £15 mini lighting set up...they're crap. At the very least, go for a proper light table (the lasolite mentioned above is a great place to start) for smaller set ups (about £120 all in) and I would also recommend the entry level Elinchrome sets. Avoid the cheap Chinese lighting set ups. They don't last. You definitely get what you pay for. You can get a decent starter Elinchrome set up with a few fan cooled lighting flash head units and reflectors plus the backdrop white sheet and platforms for around £600. You can buy cheaper by shopping around. If you have good natural lighting you may get away without the lighting units but I like them for the diffuse light and improved image quality as a result. After all, it's show casing what you do and what you sell.

It sounds a lot, but mine has paid for itself many times over now. Happy to point you to my website if you want to check out the results.

thanks MrC ill google the lastolite light table

Varm yes please on the link

thanks both for the info, back in the old days i use to do a lot in my own dark room, 35mm slr hansel adams etc etc but not done much since every thing went digital

Bought the eldest daughter a Canon EOS 70d with 15-55mm lens a couple of years ago. It's a good compromise of still and video features for a prosumer grade camera. The body is the cheap part though as Canon lens kit can get expensive.

If I am lucky she lets me borrow it.... sometimes.

Here's a nice video on using the Lastolite table with the added benefit of an English accent..

http://www.lastoliteschoolofphotography.com/using-the-cubelite-litetable

Ill watch that now many thanks.

Here's a nice video on using the Lastolite table with the added benefit of an English accent..

http://www.lastoliteschoolofphotography.com/using-the-cubelite-litetable

Ill watch that now many thanks.

Hi Mark

For my website and products, I use a Canon EOS 40D and an EOS7 plus two lenses: one is a prime lens (50mm 1.8) the other my Tamron SPAF XR F2.8 17-55VC....it compared favourably with the entry level cannon L series lenses on resolution so made sense; I also use a full Elinchrome lighting studio flash set up and Courtney flash meter. You don't need to go nuts (as above) just pick any SLR which gives reasonable resolution and which you can work in RAW (if you're comfortable using RAW files) as this allows better post shot editing, be that in photoshop or just using a more basic RAW processing engine (I use Canon's own RAW DPP software and it's adequate). I don't use photoshop 1) because it is time intensive and I simply don't have that time and 2) because properly set up, you shouldn't need it to get some reasonable shots. Here's a few that I took for some of my produces without any photo-shopping....not perfect but adequate for a web product page:

RFC_FurnitureSlider_03.jpg

WC_Cables_XLR_Ref_Saturn_510.jpg

Reference-Rhapsody-driver.jpg

MG_9239.jpg

I am careful to pick lenses that maximise image quality for a reasonable outlay. Of the lenses supplied with packages, I think that Nikon probably have the edge these days, but as to which camera, just pick the one that fits best in the hand, and which you can use pretty instinctively. I also use a Manifrotto tripod. There's so little to choose between cameras these days though.

Lighting matters. I'd advise that you don't go the very basic Ebay £15 mini lighting set up...they're crap. At the very least, go for a proper light table (the lasolite mentioned above is a great place to start) for smaller set ups (about £120 all in) and I would also recommend the entry level Elinchrome sets. Avoid the cheap Chinese lighting set ups. They don't last. You definitely get what you pay for. You can get a decent starter Elinchrome set up with a few fan cooled lighting flash head units and reflectors plus the backdrop white sheet and platforms for around £600. You can buy cheaper by shopping around. If you have good natural lighting you may get away without the lighting units but I like them for the diffuse light and improved image quality as a result. After all, it's show casing what you do and what you sell.

It sounds a lot, but mine has paid for itself many times over now. Happy to point you to my website if you want to check out the results.

can you remember lens used for 2nd and 3rd images down

im wanting to really decent images for my site with some close up detail images as well if that makes sense

just picked this up literally 10 mins ago from a mate

Nikon D50 Digital SLR Camera w/ Nikkor 18-55mm Lens & Accessories

£100 all in

would that be the sort of thing or go for a newer model / type

The D50 is only 6 megapixel which is probably not enough resolution if you have to crop the images. Most entry level cameras these days are at least 18 megapixels such as the Canon 1300D http://www.wexphotographic.com/canon-eos-1300d-digital-slr-camera-body-1594127/

I'd say 14 MP is an absolute minimum to give you decent results without having to buy a dozen lenses.

For the most versatility I'd go with an SLR. No need to go nuts on spec, the entry level EOS 1300D digital SLR or Nikon D3400 Digital SLR with the standard 18-55mm lens that comes with will be more than sufficient for product images where you can control the lighting.

As for lighting, for products, I'd always go with something like the Lastolite light table with a set of continuous lamps. The Interfit F5 Three-Head Fluorescent Lighting Kit is good for a reasonable price.

Unless you have experience, I'd stay away from flashes/strobes as it takes some learning to get what you want.

this in particular? http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/products/canon/eos-1300d-digital-slr-ef-s-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-dc-iii-lens-97990/show.html

cool im struggling to find the lastiolite table any where to buy unless you know of a retailer

just trying to figure out if the Canon 1300 will take a remote for shutter release for working on a tripod with no stutter

Archived