510 Yard Goat In New Zealand

Jager SA

Back from my travels abroad, but whilst I was in New Zealand we were asked to have a crack at culling some feral Goats, I didn’t need a second invitation...!

Anyways we were in a place called Bluff Station, at small modest place...41,500 acres... :lol: So we were put to work.

We came across the odd pocket mob of Goats with plenty of Billy’s mooching around hasn’t to add they all got the good news pretty smartish. :lol: (I will do a write up asap) That’s how it went through the day until later in the afternoon we went for drive and a walk and found a big mob with probably 20-30 Goatys all happily feeding and mooching...not for long! We waded through the first mob, which thinned out quite nicely and then moved over the ridge, which then spread out, to a big valley with high cliff faces all around.

All of a sudden a Goat was spotted at 502 high on the other side of the valley, "Indians spotted" piped up the guide, Indians I thought, what the #### is he on about, then it dawned...it was the Goats. It turns out its a game they play called cowboys and Indians, guess who were the Cowboys...! :lol:

All of a sudden the valley was moving with all manner of colour of Goat so I got the Leica out and started to range, ballacks, there was nowhere I could get into a right prone position due to the sloping ground, all I could do was get into a left hand prone position, hmm not good! Nevertheless here we go, "someone spot for me please" I asked...510 yards made the adjustment on the scope, deep breath, nice and settled, homed in on the big Billy. Nicely squeeze the trigger and pop...down goes the Goaty. ;)

Now we were rocking, the buzz was awesome, I then moved to the next and then the next and so on, anyway all of a sudden Arron the guide screamed "get the big ginger one hes high up on the cliff face" of course I couldn’t see the bloody thing then I picked him up...Got Mr Leica...488 yards, take off a click or 2 settled down, the pressure was on, he was moving and I was expected to make him take a tumble.

He stopped, right on the edge of the cliff watching his mates, BIG mistake, pop, he leant forwards and fell straight off the cliff several hundred feet to the bottom of the valley...there were screams of joy, falling indians, hah hah, falling Indians!!!! We thought Arron had gone mad!

Well to say it was fun was an understatement, but it wasn’t easy and took some doing. All in all I shot 12 Goats off the cliffs between 488 and 510 yards and at the end of the day the tally was 30.

It was a great experience and to be able to shoot as much ammo as you can carry was fun.

So theres my entry into the 500+yard club... ;)

Well done Kal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes::lol:

Really looking forward to your writeup too!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

All the very best........................

RAY......................................... :lol: :lol:

Way to go James, nice to see the 300 WSM was shooting well, (who was it that fettled it again) :rolleyes:

Need pictures!!!!

so you got 30 how did Bambi fair up to the long range indians ??

looking forward to the pics I do fancy NZ

Well if you had a section for long range running shots I recon' I would be a top contender, :lol: but it might up set some people. :lol:

That 9 shot mag' was down to the last round on one mob, the guy next to me with a Sako's was empty and he just had to watch as I was dropping goats. :rolleyes: It was fast and furious culling, but we got a bollocking off the guild because one got away out of that mob. :lol: Well we were trying our hardest to drop them all for him. :lol:

I can see why some of the Kiwi's like a semi autos for goats.

Best rgds

B-b

Archived