308 loads

auquhollie

I have a friend that contracts for the commision, he has just picked up a new Blauser rifle in 308. He is looking for an accurate load and was asking me if i knew of any he could start off with. Just to give him a starting point.

Now, he would like to run the 125 grain heads as apposed to the 150 grainers (to gain max FPS). He is also after any info on factory loads that shoot really well in this rifle/cal.

Any of you lads out there have a Blauser in 308 or any 308 for that matter ? if so what loads are you shooting ?.

Any info welcomed.

ATB

Ads :lol:

I have used 125gn Noslers in my .308 and Brian who shoots with me uses them to great effect in his Howa.

Tha load is 45gns N135 125gn Nosler ballistic tip set ar SAAMI 2.800"

This load is very accurate in his Howa and shot superbly in a Steyr SSG I had.

Cheers

Dave

Crist that was quick.

Sounds good, thanks for that. Ill let him know. Do you know what speed that was doing ??.

Keep em coming. :lol:

ATB

Ads

Sorry should have mentioned velocity was around 3000fps out of a 24" barrel.

This load is not a max load and there is room for more but best accurracy was found at this point.

I tried slower powders with this bullet but it didn't work so well it seemed to suit the faster burning rate of N135.

Cheers

Dave

Sorry should have mentioned velocity was around 3000fps out of a 24" barrel.

This load is not a max load and there is room for more but best accurracy was found at this point.

I tried slower powders with this bullet but it didn't work so well it seemed to suit the faster burning rate of N135.

Cheers

Dave

Perfect, Sounds like a sweet load.

Cheers again.

Ads

I'm not really interested in anything lighter than 150gr sooooo,

I was very happy about this cheapy load,

Hornady 150gr SP interlock (13 Euro/100) and either 42gr H335 or 44gr N140 COL 70.44mm CCI BR Rem brass at 50.86mm shoots

into an inch square all day. Not hot. (tried them hot with 46.0 gr Varget = 1.5" in my rifle)

Exactly the same zero as the 150's are (in my rifle)

165 SST, 45gr Varget, Lapua, CCI BR, COL 71.35mm (0.3" - 0.5" 3shot)

155 A max, 44.0 N140, Rem brass, CCI BR, COL 71.40mm (always good in my rifle also with 42.0gr H335 )

Different zero: (or didn't test em with my zero now)

165 Nos BT, 45.0gr N140, Lapua, CCI BR, COL 71.25mm. (10mm 3 shot)

edi

As ejg,

44grs V140 with a 150 head has shot well in both my 308's. Maxed at about 46 grs but not as good a shooter as 44.

130 speer h/ps with some RE7 shot good as well. Think it was 39 grs but it was a while since.

Hi here is another vote for the Nosler 125 grain BT, I use H414 but I can't remember exactly what weight of charge and i'm not near my bench so rather than give the wrong info i'll keep quiet. I have also recently bought a consierable quantity of Sako 123 grn factory loads for work, they cost £16.60/20 and are every bit as accurate as my hand loads and the bullet performance is good. JC

• 4 weeks later...

Due to Reloading Solutions having run out of 155 Nosler custom comps, i've just loaded some 125 Berger flat based over 45.5 grns Benchmark.

cci br & remmy cases. As soon as i've had the chance to group test at 200 yards, i'll post the results for you.. They should be doing a nats cock over 3000 fps.

Any of you lads out there have a Blauser in 308 or any 308 for that matter ? if so what loads are you shooting ?.

Any info welcomed.

Ads,

Not really a 'load' answer; but assuming it's an R93 your pal has & having owned (note past tense!) blasers, I would recommend that your pal is careful to full length resize (rather than just neck size) taking care to move the shoulder back to factory ammo spec -or he'll get an increase in misfires due to light strikes.

Not really a 'load' answer; but assuming it's an R93 your pal has & having owned (note past tense!) blasers, I would recommend that your pal is careful to full length resize (rather than just neck size) taking care to move the shoulder back to factory ammo spec -or he'll get an increase in misfires due to light strikes.

Very good advise that ( friend owns one) also tell him to be careful of the OAL as if they get too long they won't feed or even go into the mag

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. Following my try out of Berger 125 FB match over 45.5 grns Benchmark, here are the results.

I dont own a crony so i had no idea of the muz vel..

The best i could do with them was a 2.5" vertical string at 200 yds. The width of the group was 1".

Upon inspection of the cases, powder residue travelled down as far as the base of the shoulder. The Fed No. 210 primers showed no sign of flattening at all.

From this i gleaned that pressures were well down as the case neck would not expand enough to seal the throat and prevent the shoulder soiling.

Below is Hodgdons recommended powder charge for Benchmark & a 125 grn pill. As you can see, i was far from the minimum.

125 GR. SIE SP Hodgdon Benchmark .308" 2.700" 43.0 2821 40,600 CUP 47.5 3070 50,700 CUP

The potential is there and i believe with a rise in charge of .5 to 1 grain would prob do the trick. Unfortunately i'm out of Benchmark to continue the test.

My local dealer is charging £44 for a tub ( stuff that ) and Reloading solutions is out of stock.

As my fave powder Varget is all i have left, i'll continue the bullet test with that instead.. I'll post the results as & when..

I have a friend that contracts for the commision, he has just picked up a new Blauser rifle in 308. He is looking for an accurate load and was asking me if i knew of any he could start off with. Just to give him a starting point.

Now, he would like to run the 125 grain heads as apposed to the 150 grainers (to gain max FPS). He is also after any info on factory loads that shoot really well in this rifle/cal.

Any info welcomed.

ATB

Ads :)

I run Speer SP BT 150grn, Lapua brass, CCI primer, 46.5grns Viht 140, 3770fps, no pressure problems and decent accuracy from a 21" barrel. This load is for stalking only, not sure what it would be like 300yds+.

Pete.

Rel 15 is a very good powder for the 308, ive used it for years with 150g bullets. I also used Varget which another very good powder, and used 125g bullets and 165g.

The 125g im sure are a varmint bullet in the nosler range and are very explosive, that said the sierra pro hunter were pretty much the same. I gave up on these some years back, although I did use them for Hind culling and neck shooting with the 125g was very good.

Using the 150g in the .308 should be more than ample for Deer here, the load would be very accurate with the powders mentioned here.

Hi here is another vote for the Nosler 125 grain BT, I use H414 but I can't remember exactly what weight of charge and i'm not near my bench so rather than give the wrong info i'll keep quiet. I have also recently bought a consierable quantity of Sako 123 grn factory loads for work, they cost £16.60/20 and are every bit as accurate as my hand loads and the bullet performance is good. JC

I find it really interesting that the Sako catalogue mentions the powder charges for their ammo : .308 123gn 47.8gn N-140 925m/s.

Personally I would use N-135 for the 125gn Noslers & N-140 if I were using 150 (45.5gn N-140 - 870 m/s)

Or 165gn bullets (42.4gn N-140 - 825 m/s)

Like I say got these loads from the 2007 catalogue,& I take it they would know a thing or two about making ammo that's suitable for as many rifles as possible.

lovely load i use is 44 grains of varget in a lapau case with cci br2 primer behind either a 150 grain hornady soft point or a nosler bt ,also use 46 grains of varget in same case and primer behind a 125 grain sierra soft point .

also working up a 110 grain vmax load specifically for foxes 47 grains of varget is sub 1" at 150 yds need to push a few ths more to find perfect load i think but ran out of br2s .

all shot through a remmy 700 p with 25" barrel and wildcat predator 12 moderator

Archived