OCW Help analyze results

stephentri

I'd say 25.5......I found SMK 69's worked best when pushed hard. What MV's are you getting?

RePete

I don't think you can draw many conclusions from 4 shots, other than possibly excluding a load with flier(s) if you're confident they weren't human error. It's not about finding the best group - it's about finding a good range in which you can further efforts.

24.9 & 25.2, when superimposed would for one reasonable 8 shot group. That means you can probably load anywhere in that range & get good results - I would try more in that area (maybe in the middle) but with say 8 shot groups..

Absolutely forget about changing seating depth based on 4 shot groups to determine charge. You will never reach a sound conclusion - or if you do then you're very lucky.

Remember that your best groups could be 4 very bad fliers that happened to land in the same place!

Thinking about it, I would re-run the OCW to build up confidence before making a decision on powder recipe.

I don't think you can draw many conclusions from 4 shots, other than possibly excluding a load with flier(s) if you're confident they weren't human error. It's not about finding the best group - it's about finding a good range in which you can further efforts.

24.9 & 25.2, when superimposed would for one reasonable 8 shot group. That means you can probably load anywhere in that range & get good results - I would try more in that area (maybe in the middle) but with say 8 shot groups..

Absolutely forget about changing seating depth based on 4 shot groups to determine charge. You will never reach a sound conclusion - or if you do then you're very lucky.

This. ~Andrew

I'd say 25.5......I found SMK 69's worked best when pushed hard. What MV's are you getting?

RePete

Plus 1 on this. You will see a very definite accuracy node with these around the 3100 fps mark. Anywhere between 25.4. - 26.4 g. This all depends on the pressure signs on your brass. I used h335 with mine which easily reaches 3100fps but I tried another .2 grains in it and it decreased the velocity with more powder. This told me that this load is at the optimal burn for my chamber.

Plus 1 on this. You will see a very definite accuracy node with these around the 3100 fps mark. Anywhere between 25.4. - 26.4 g.

Not doubing your results, but surely you're not expecting accuracy nodes for another gun to follow your experience?

• 2 weeks later...

W

Not doubing your results, but surely you're not expecting accuracy nodes for another gun to follow your experience?

Well I had very similar results with my own and 2 of my friends 223s using this bullets. Maybe it was luck with 2 guns , but 3 I don't know. They both hit accuracy nodes within 50fps of what my gun was reading.

Archived