Would anyone with quickload run this through it please

Lapua Palmer .308 brass

Berger 200 hybrid

43.8, 44 and 44.2 grs of Varget

COAL 3.060

Primer CCI 450

Barrel 32"

Thanks

According to my version of QL, 43.8 grains gives a Pmax of 62,322psi, (max is 60,191), Fill ratio of 101.9%, and an MV of 2697fps..................I didn't bother to run the higher charges................

RePete

My version gives slightly different results.

43.8 grains of Varget Pmax is 61740 psi and 2675 fps. (SAAMI is 62,000 psi) and a fill ratio of 101.4%

44.0 is 62,598 psi and 2684 fps. Fill ratio 101.9%

44.2 is 63,470 psi and 2694 fps. Fill ratio 102.4%

You don't say what the actual bulls length is so I plugged in the latest measurement from Berger which is 0.011" shorter than given in Quickload.

Is it for your smooth bore Howa??

No its for my new toy. Thanks for that I went up to 44.5 gr and the primers still had a small round edge on them and no other signs of pressure. Load test as soon as the weather permits but I'll just go up to 44.

Bullet length is 1.489

I do find that my current batch of varget does not produce the MV that QL predicts. All other parameters including case volume checked. Hence I have reduced The powder burn rate to match actual labrador velocities. However this is for my gun and equipment so I wouldn't recommend it on an ad hoc basis!!!!!!

QL is something of a guide for the wise (perhaps believed by some others ,given the potential variance in inputs and default program values. Here's a little teaser:

Suppose-just suppose- the fire solutions from QL do not exactly predict carefully measured real firing drops in your rifle.

You can 'adjust' the input BC or MV so as to get a fit.

Which do you adjust,to fit your data,why,and what are the potential consequences if you chose the wrong one (ballistically-you will still get a fit- but it may later lead to convulsions of frustration).

If you know,consider letting this teaser run a few days,before explaining all-the topic comes up a lot,and might benefit from some head scratching first... :-)

gbal

I've had a couple of spot-on predictions with QL, and a couple of complete raspberries.................it really is just a rough guide.

RePete

• 2 weeks later...

Re-Pete-just so,it's a rough guide often-we get plenty queries about it-the input data may be at fault often,of course.

And misfits between trajectory as computed by ballistic solver and actual firing drop data.

Hence the 'trueing' or 'calibrating'of such ballistic solutions to fit actual rifle shots....usually either adjust BC or velocity...but which....

As This comesup in it's own right -it's not strictly a QL issue- my promised delayed reply is now on the post opened on Friday 27 Jan

"6.5-06 Head scratcher" which is just such a case......fast forward....

(choose the most reliablly established one of BC and MV for your rig,is the message).

gbal

Archived