Scope mag for deer

Looking for a new scope for my .308.Going to be used on deer primarily,maybe elk and boar,illuminated ret.out of budget(have one on my 6.5x55)Does anyone still use fixed mags ie 4x,6x?Was thinking about a S+B hungarian 6x42.Shots would be 150m max,mostly closer.regards Toby

Most people with big variables tend to use one or two mag settings only.

A fixed power from Ziess, S&B would be ideal for what you want. No need for a big lens either, I have yet to see any scope better in low light than my 3x9x36 Ziess. they have the added benifits of being light and cheaper than a variable with less to go wrong.

A

Think the chap said illuminated out of his price range on this outfit, the zenith is pretty big money compared to the fixed 6x42.

I run the 8x56 german 1 inch tube and love it. Nice and simple, point and shoot. No dials to mess with etc. I would have a 6x42 if I were to buy again a bit lighter and compact. Get a 30mm tube and light gathering isn;t that different. I reallly can't think of another scope I would buy for the money.

Looking for a new scope for my .308.Going to be used on deer primarily,maybe elk and boar,illuminated ret.out of budget(have one on my 6.5x55)Does anyone still use fixed mags ie 4x,6x?Was thinking about a S+B hungarian 6x42.Shots would be 150m max,mostly closer.regards Toby

Toby,

For woodland deerstalking where shots are seldom more than 150 m and much closer if you are a good stalker, a 6 power fixed scope will be more than adequate.

I don't think there's much advantage in 56 mm objectives, they are more money, have to be mounted higher and will need to have the cheekpiece elevated to suit.

My advice would be to buy a 6x42 in a good quality scope.

I have 4 Swarovski 6x42 (26mm tube) on various rifles and one of them, on my 270 BDL , was bought new for the rifle back in the early '70s and is still going strong. With the same handload, it gets a couple of outings per annum plus the usual range check and has never needed adjusting in all that time!.

I can recommend them. (I also have a Swaro 6x42 on a 1" tube and the low light performance is visibly not as good as the older 26mm model). I have no doubt that the equivalent in S+B with 30mm tube will be just as good. Zeiss similarly. I can also recommend Kahles.

With regard to reticles, ensure that whatever you choose, it is visible in low light and/or against a dark background.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Additional to the above suggestions.

A good scope I would recommend different and slightly cheaper is a Meopta 7x50. Mine has a 4c (?) reticle and is ideal for fox, deer and good upto reasonable ranges. I have used it a lot over the last 6 years or so and can't fault it. Rather than sell it I would move it about on different rifles. I bought it for the 308, moved it onto the 222 and will put it on my 243/6mm when I get it. Nothing to fiddle with, good clear glass and accurate adjustment.

Currently about £275 I think and I would buy again without hesitation.

Archived