RCBS Universal Handprimer not seating primers

hunter686

As above, my hand primer won't seat my primers properly.

As you are seating the primers i feel the resistance then its like the primer disappears as the handle makes contact with the body of press. When i check the primers most of them protrude from the case base. It's like the plunging rod is too short and the and runs out of travel before it seats the prime fully. No matter how many squeezes of the handle i give it the handle always makes contact with the body first with no contact after the initial press.

I have the right priming rod size and the pockets are uniform so there is nothing funny in that department.

I have attached a picture to show you how far the pins actually protrudes at full travel (or doesn't)

Any suggestions on what is the problem?

cheers

post-14013-0-55873900-1483905548_thumb.jpg

Hunter,

My first thought would be 'how old is it and is it worn a bit?'

T

Maby a year old. It's been like that since it's inception, unitll i decided it wasn't right. I decided to google it to see other's results and the concensus was that you could really bottom a primer out with good feel. I get no where near that before it runs out of travle

Well then, it looks like there is a mismatch between the pin protrusion and the position of the brass ( which is determined by the shell holder).

Sure it's the correct shellholder?

Well then, it looks like there is a mismatch between the pin protrusion and the position of the brass ( which is determined by the shell holder).

Sure it's the correct shellholder?

Hi Chris,

It's the universal holder so it doesn't use shell holders.

Which cases are you struggling to prime? 270 Win or 204 Ruger? Regards JCS

Hi John,

204 is the most noticeable. I've only done one lot of 270 a few months backs, but i can't remember off the top of my head how it primed as i thought it was bottoming out first deliberately. Safely feature or something.

I've got a traditional RCBS hand primer, so it's not quite the same as yours. My understanding is the plunger and plunger holder need to be changed depending on whether large primers or small primers are being used.

http://www.rcbs.com/Products/Priming/Tools/Universal-Hand-Priming-Tool.aspx seems to indicate some change is required when moving from small to large primers.

I only use large primers, but if I ever dabbled in small primers, I would get an additional priming tool to avoid re-configuring the tool each time I change from large to small primers and back again.

Regards

JCS

That's correct! As mentioned in the OP the small plunger has been fitted. Only takes 15seconds to swap them over. Also - for note - both long and short priming plungers are the same length.

Just looked at mine and it's the same as yours, only about 2mm of the seating rod is above the body at full travel but it seats perfectly. Is the top black plate fully tightened down?, when it's fully up can the rod be pressed down into the body?, mine is rock solid.

As the bottom of the case should be in contact with the main body there's more than enough protrusion on the rod to fully seat a primer.

Just a thought, when changing primer rods you haven't let the handle fly out?, this does something to the cam mechanism that breaks it?

Just looked at mine and it's the same as yours, only about 2mm of the seating rod is above the body at full travel but it seats perfectly. Is the top black plate fully tightened down?, when it's fully up can the rod be pressed down into the body?, mine is rock solid.

As the bottom of the case should be in contact with the main body there's more than enough protrusion on the rod to fully seat a primer.

Just a thought, when changing primer rods you haven't let the handle fly out?, this does something to the cam mechanism that breaks it?

Bolts are tight! I don't think i have let it swing out..... All that part of it seems ok. Nothing funny going on.

Does your case have as much clearance as this?

post-14013-0-60914000-1483958624_thumb.jpg

Are you sure the jaws are working correctly and there's nothing stopping the jaws centring the case over the primer rod? As per the previous post, does the primer rod move freely into the primer pocket when no primer is selected?

Regards

JCS

Jaws are spring-loaded and well lubed so have no issue with centring. Plunger moves in and out freely with/without primer fitted.

It looks like your case has significantly less gap between the bottom of the case and the face where the rod comes out. My plunger makes contact with the primer but that's about it before the handle can't go any further.

Do you still have travel left in you handle once the primer is seated to it's max?

No, I seat to the full travel of the handle which seems to be spot on.

Just had a look at the gap, I can get a piece of 80gsm paper folded to 6 layers thick into the gap under the case, this measures about 24 thou" or .6mm

As a test lock the handle in the fully closed position and try and feed a case into the holders, you shouldn't be able to slide it into place.

Hi Hunter, your jaw assembly is sitting way too far from the face of the hole the primer rod comes out of. The cases should be a sliding fit under the jaws thats why your primers are not seated properly. Try taking the jaw assembly off and checking that its all fitting together properly and no parts have been reversed. If thats all ok you need a priming rod about 60thou longer than the ones you are using, but you shouldn't need to be doing that so something is amiss.

Mike

No, I seat to the full travel of the handle which seems to be spot on.

Just had a look at the gap, I can get a piece of 80gsm paper folded to 6 layers thick into the gap under the case, this measures about 24 thou" or .6mm

As a test lock the handle in the fully closed position and try and feed a case into the holders, you shouldn't be able to slide it into place.

I'll try this and see what i come up with

Hi Hunter, your jaw assembly is sitting way too far from the face of the hole the primer rod comes out of. The cases should be a sliding fit under the jaws thats why your primers are not seated properly. Try taking the jaw assembly off and checking that its all fitting together properly and no parts have been reversed. If thats all ok you need a priming rod about 60thou longer than the ones you are using, but you shouldn't need to be doing that so something is amiss.

Mike

Here is a picture of a shell fitted with the plunger at full travel. I have pulled it apart and put it back together.

I agree that it looks like it is sitting hight. but as you can see the angles match the indent in the case (Not upside down) and the plates are flush with holder and can not move any further down. Hopefully the picture shows this.

post-14013-0-06004600-1483966159_thumb.jpg

That looks like mine, there's no gap between the priming rod and the case bottom.

Just tried to measure the gap under the holder plates, it's just under 5/64" as I can't get a drill bit that size to fit, using the end of my digital calipers it comes out at 2.1 to 2mm.

How far out are the primers after you seat them?, if it's more than a few thou I'd be inclined to look at the primer pockets again.

https://ballistictools.com/articles/primer-pocket-depth-and-diameter.php

That looks like mine, there's no gap between the priming rod and the case bottom.

Just tried to measure the gap under the holder plates, it's just under 5/64" as I can't get a drill bit that size to fit, using the end of my digital calipers it comes out at 2.1 to 2mm.

How far out are the primers after you seat them?, if it's more than a few thou I'd be inclined to look at the primer pockets again.

https://ballistictools.com/articles/primer-pocket-depth-and-diameter.php

That's how much paper i can get under the case (when it's on the jaws) and the top face where the plunger comes out without the plunger actually being engaged. As for protrusion i will go get my ammo box and take a picture. I'd say 0.001-2

Just checked the primer pocket depth: 0.137 to the flash hole and 0.127 to the edge of the pocket

Also, from face to the top of the plunger is the size 0.050 (1.24mm) total protrusion.

post-14013-0-14194600-1483966939_thumb.jpg

Archived