Kinetic hammer or bullet puller?

Elwood

Like a dumb ass I have used the wrong primers in a load of 50 cases and now need to pull the lot, a cardinal sin in not consulting my load data and presuming I used Federal before, which of course I hadn't.

So which is quicker the kinetic hammer which I have, but the thought of taking 50 rounds apart with this doesn't thrill me, or I'm guessing that the press operated bullet puller will be quicker but will the heads come out undamaged?

Guest varmartin

When you say `wrong` are they just from a different manufacture or did you use a magnum etc etc....... ?

Why wouldn't you fire them ?

Just curious !

When you say `wrong` are they just from a different manufacture or did you use a magnum etc etc....... ?

Why wouldn't you fire them ?

Just curious !

I did Martin, just the one was enough! They should of had CCI BR's but by mistake (if you can call it that) I used Federals, when people say primers make a difference to pressure you'd better believe them. No harm done this time! but very careless and sloppy on my behalf.

Use the hammer, pullers mark the bullet surface.

Not noticed much difference bettween CCI BR and Fed Match unless the loads are "warm" when the Feds start to "pop" .......

Use the hammer, pullers mark the bullet surface.

I didn't want to hear that Andy, but thanks for the heads up. Oh well time to sit on the kitchen floor with my hammer in one hand and a cereal bowl for powder in the other.

It was a max load of 41 grains of H380 in my 22.250, the CCI BR primers show signs of pressure building, the Federals left me in absolutely no doubt.

I will see if I can't get a few close up photo's of a very flattened primer

I have never liked the kinetic pullers, you only need a stressed primer and you would have a real mess.

I have both the hornady and the rcbs collet pullers and they dont mark the bullets unless you really overtighten them which is totally unnecessary anyway, a light grip is all that is needed with homeloads which are not crimped.

In any case when you fire the round the bullet is projected up a tube which is rifled and smaller than the bullet, now that really marks them!.

I have pulled and re-used bullets many times and never yet seen any loss of accuracy.

But wacking them out usually damages the point anyway etc.

Redfox

I have both the hornady and the rcbs collet pullers and they dont mark the bullets unless you really overtighten them which is totally unnecessary anyway, a light grip is all that is needed with homeloads which are not crimped.

I have pulled and re-used bullets many times and never yet seen any loss of accuracy. ..

Redfox

Totally agreed, same experience . The evidence is clear that slight imperfections at the front have a negligible effect on accuracy but even the slightest ding on the base is disastrous. I remember reading a systematic test on this exact issue and it was astounding how much rough pruning bullets could take up front and still shoot OK. A collet puller leaves totally symmetric marks anyway.

At the very least, you can use the "marked" bullets as foulers, etc. The odd batch I've done on deer rifles still performed perfectly on paper and deer

Chris, NZ

Guest varmartin
I didn't want to hear that Andy, but thanks for the heads up. Oh well time to sit on the kitchen floor with my hammer in one hand and a cereal bowl for powder in the other.

It was a max load of 41 grains of H380 in my 22.250, the CCI BR primers show signs of pressure building, the Federals left me in absolutely no doubt.

I will see if I can't get a few close up photo's of a very flattened primer

Would be interesting to see a pic.

I have used both primers and found the cci to be hotter and giving more velocity....

the feds are a softer cup ( or thinner ) and `show` pressure sooner....

I guess its the signs we go by to indicate pressure ,but i would have though the actual pressure would have been the same or higher with the cci`s

From right to left, what a seated primer looks like, a fired primer showing slight over pressure, but without any noticeable bolt stick, third one very flat primer showing signs of dangerous pressure and extremely hard bolt lift.

cases1.jpg

This is a better angle to see the flattened primer from, it's the one on the right, the case on the left is from a different load, click on the enlarge icon to get a much better idea

cases3.jpg

This is a better angle to see the flattened primer from, it's the one on the right,...

Nah, this is a properly flattened primer ;)

http://s316.photobucket.com/albums/mm343/C...t=Hot22-250.jpg

Got it in a batch of "collector's cartridges"- I'd guess it's a solid 5K psi and possibly even 10K over the one pictured.

God knows what the guy loading these was up to..

Chris-NZ

Archived