Barrel crowns

Swarovski1

This is a gunsmith question really.a mate had a new 30 inch kreiger 308 barrel barrel fitted recently.first outing sunday.when I saw it I noticed strait away crown was flat.i thought it was the norm to have 11 degree target crown.thats old hat apparently.is this the case.i thought one of the reasons for a recessed crown was too protect it from damage . I've not looked into any other reasons.flat crowns are ment to be more accurate.ive no idea.maybe some of our resident gunsmiths or barrelologists could answer this please.atb swaro

"Hunting" rifles often/usually have rounded crowns.

Target fashion became (various) degree recessed,

Recessed flat is an option;or flat

Protection may vary,but tests show that precision/accuracy depends on the quality of the machining.

See 'Accurate Shooter' forum

gbal

The simplest crown to do is a straightforward 90 degree flat one.

Done from the centre out, there will be no burr at the bore.

Yes it can be a little vulnerable, but if you drop your rifle on its muzzle, it will need fixing no matter what crown style is on there.

It can be advantageous to recess it a bit for protection, and a 11 deg (or whatever) will do the same, but looks prettier.

There's no one way that's better than the others though, but a tapered one takes longer to set up

As long as the crown is not lop sided it matters not what style it is, rounded crowns usually found on hunting rifles are not a good example of a desirable crown.

A excellent indicator of the "straightness" of your crown for one way of putting it, is if you use a moderator you can often see equally spaced carbon deposits coinciding with the number of grooves in your barrel on the face of your crown

If they look unequal in any way then the crown is lop sided.

Ian.

The 11 degree muzzle crown came from the theory that this was the angle escaping gases left the muzzle and from there it became a fashion. I like how it looks s usually do it that way myself.

There is little if any valid research on muzzle crown profiles from what I have found that would put any one profile ahead of others in terms of accuracy. The most important aspect is that the crown is concentric to the bore and clean, some would call that sharp but essentially they mean uniform and free from any burrs that could influence the bullet as it leaves the muzzle.

If you fire say 5 shots with a rifle that has a flat crown you get a star shaped finish on the crown from carbon deposits.i guess that would depend on how may grooves the rifling has.

Google "Flat Rifle Crown-images" ...you'll get the picture (s)

g

No difference in accuracy from articles I did read.for for the standard unmoderated barrels.the recessed crown seem the best option just incase.chances are if you did hit the crown the likelihood of damaging ghe crown it pretty high I would imagine.my mate and I was out lamping a few years ago and he climbed a fence and the post broke.he went flying and rifle stuck in the ground barrel first.after we stopped laughing we found some round wire to push through the bore to get topsoil out then the bore snake went through a few times so it was ok to shoot.

Archived