Rifle bedding advice wanted please

Spielvogel pointers

Ended up sending a McM back to Jacksons after realising it did require bedding after all :mad: Simply could not justify £500 and then a further £300 minimum for bedding. Furthermore, the stock then would have needed correct fitting because the channel was 'raised' on one side and the action cut-out was attempted by an apprentice butcher ...McM site says their stocks don't require bedding?? - not in my experience.

The best part of all of my experience with that malarkey was Jacksons were excellent and fully understood my predicament - no quibbles.

My view would be is I wouldn't be "thinking about it" but if you already have forked out on the stock to get it bedded (and fitted) properly, by a qualified smith.

Firstly thanks to all for taking the time to reply

I've had the rifle in the stock a couple of months now and it shoots fine but the barrel doesn't sit parallel in the stocks channel so I thought that having it bedded could be a way of rectifying it "just my ocd I guess" however I'm now thinking this could be an expensive fix.

Cheers

I'd think if you keep on firing it with the barrel misaligned it won't be too long before the barrel 'falls' totally to the leaning side of the channel. Conversely, If it's managing to stay in line after numerous firings I'd expect the action to be over-tightened putting strain on the stock. You can gurantee something is wrong, apart from how it 'looks' - just my two pennith worth

Do a pictorial thread

No.

I'm giving no trade secrets, or how I do anything online anymore.

To many people who think they are gunsmiths copy it and pass the knowledge off as there own.

Not to worry dave as I wouldn't be doing the work myself anyway, I'd be taking it to kershaw as he's only 20mins from mine and to his credit he's the only smith I've personally spoken to that tell you straight and deliver on time and cost.

Oh yeah and Mrs K makes a grand pot of tea

Cheers

SP

Interesting , what gives the best accuracy improvement for your money ? new trigger /trigger job?

I'd hazard a guess it's home loading and proper load development followed by range time/practice. Learning how to properly clean your gun and keep barrel immaculately clean also helps, doesn't cost the earth and maintains consistency.

Anyone else got an opinion on this?

Cheers

Mike

Bedding gives the minimum accuracy return versus money spent

Thats not true. What if the fit was really bad or the action was really stressed, a bedding job might improve things quite significantly... and it doesnt have to cost the earth.

Thats not true. What if the fit was really bad or the action was really stressed, a bedding job might improve things quite significantly... and it doesnt have to cost the earth.

I wouldn't have bought it in the first place if the above was the case

Have to agree with bradders on this one. I've seen rifles fired, like many other folk, that are superbly accurate and consistently so with no bedding. Can't do any harm I suppose but worth the outlay? Hmmm doubtful..... A calm day, no sun, a good trigger and plenty of practice ticks the box

If you've got the spare cash to have your rifle fully bedded with pillars installed by a good smith then get it done, otherwise it will always be something in the back of your mind 'what if'. Also aesthetically it would annoy me if the barrel did not sit quite straight. It's unlucky as both the McMillans I'v put on T3's fitted like gloves. Accuracy wise for the trigger just get one Baldies Tikka springs and lighten it a bit. As others have said reloading with quality components will probably eak out the best potential or ultimately a new barrel job. A clean barrel? yeh every once in a while but unless your going for records wouldn't bother spending all that time shoving a rod down the tube.

Ben

No your right it's not but from experience I'v found good match grade barrels will hold acceptable accuracy for a good couple hundred rounds. And when your using two or three rifles for work every day cleaning them all the time just gets boring. Don't get me wrong I like looking after my kit but that's what synthetic stocks, stainless barrels and cerakote are for :)

Ben

Archived