Howa 1500 "Zeroing"

onehole

Has anyone else noticed a large amount of vertical needed when initial zeroing these actions?,,,have been using correct Leupold two piece mounts and a zero MOA rail(unknown make),,,,,I ask because my old Mini action presented with this and also my new full size Varmint in 223 is showing the same excessive need.It can be sorted of course with doped rails but was hoping not to have to with my new rifle???anyone,,,,,,,,,,O

I noticed this problem with my friends howa varminter in 223. There was so much vertical on it that I had to machine spacers under the one piece scope rail. I also made the mounts adjustable for left to right on the back section of the rings. When we had his Swarovski z6 5-30x50 there was only 5 clicks left to the left if I remember correctly. Basically we centred the windage turret to the exact middle of its travel then adjusted on the back screw until it matched at 100 yards. This meant he had elevation out to 800 yards and had his windage adjustment within 2 clicks of centre at 100 yards. I believe he has his zero at about 5 clicks from the bottom of his adjustment.

Thanks Murph,,,,I bet there are quite a few out there like this,,,,guess some would just stretch their scopes but not the way I like things to be.,,,,I,m wondering what the underlying problem is ,,,I,m guessing poor barrel to action alignment somehow and a barrel that ends up pointing slightly down and out??.......like you,,,,, fettling with mounts etc can sort it to some satisfaction......O

20 MOA Rail fitted ,,,,,pre adjusted turrets to suit ,,,very close,,,I really had lost 20 MOA ,,,touch of windage and now playng from a much more scope centered zero,,thanks Alanrhone for the Rail,,,,,,.

Some scopes can handle a 20 MOA loss in zeroing ,,,,,a 30mm scope with lowish mag may not notice but anything with only 50 to 70 MOA total travel{ie old inchers} and you aint got much left!!!!!,,,,,O

Hi Onehole. I had Mike Norris tap out the existing threads and rip off the poor Picatinny rail - after it came loose twice (no Loctite) replacing it with a one piece DNZ mount which has not shifted. Proper job.

There is a Howa issue of over tightening the screws on the mounts so that they impinge the bolt on the inside of the action !

Scope is a Nightforce SHV 5-20 x 56 which I'm liking particularly with the MOAR reticle

Hi Onehole. I had Mike Norris tap out the existing threads and rip off the poor Picatinny rail - after it came loose twice (no Loctite) replacing it with a one piece DNZ mount which has not shifted. Proper job.

There is a Howa issue of over tightening the screws on the mounts so that they impinge the bolt on the inside of the action !

Scope is a Nightforce SHV 5-20 x 56 which I'm liking particularly with the MOAR reticle

That's more people putting the rear base screws in the front, in my experience. ;):)

Yeah,,,good move,,,,,,have loctited mine but still piddly little screws supplied but we,ll see how they hold out,,,,,got the IHR in mine David but looking to get Illum MOAR eartly next year.Worked up a cracking load yesterday David seems I have a decent barrel!!,,,,Those that are interested,,,,,,23gns of Vit 135 10 thou off and this is with 69gn Sierra TMK,s,,,,,as usual take care work up but this is less than book max anyway.

Charlts,,,,,,My rail came with same length screws ,,,,rear of rail has deeper holes so all,s well ,,,,I can see how some mess up though,,,,

Would be good to hear from any gunsmiths to shed some light on how sometimes these "excessive" vertical needs are arising,,,,I,ve some clues but don,t have means to measure and prove the problem,,,,anyone??/,,,,,O ,

Archived