Results of using Lovex SO70 in 6.5x47L

Catch-22

Dunno if anyone here has tried Lovex SO70 in their 6.5x47L,so I thought I'd share my experience of using it.

In short, I don't think it has the legs that some other comparable powders do unfortunately.

I bought SO70 as its formally Accurate 4350, which I felt could be a similar substitute (not exact, but maybe same ball park) as H4350. As availability and price was a lot better than H4350, plus it's a single base powder (I don't want to prematurely toast my barrel if I can help it), so I thought I was worth a go.

Loading with 123g Matchkings and Scenars in my 24" barrel, I was getting compressed charges at around 41.6 grains - I literally couldn't fit more in the case.

With CCI450 primers, I chronographed the following speeds;

41.3g, 2630fps

41.6g, 2650fps

I was disappointed to say the least as I've heard other people getting around 2900fps with 123g bullets and a similar/comparable charge of H4350. Accuracy and consistency was fairly good, hovering around the 0.5/0.6" mark at 100m, but the velocity was low.

I don't actually know what the energy of SO70 is compared to H4350? Does anyone know?

Reading Laurie's posts on VARGET, I wonder if H4350 also has a relatively high energy rating for a single base compared to others in its class, like VARGET with its 4,050 joules energy - high for its type?!?

Maybe SO70 is just well short of matching H4350's performance in this respect?

Or maybe I need to be using the 139/140g heads with SO70. Does a heavier head help build the pressure better than a lighter head, allowing the slower powders to reach full burn/velocity better?

Regardless, I've decided to settle on N140, pushing a 123g Scenar at 2930fps. Zero pressure, good accuracy and consistency and almost no vertical found.

Sorry for the long post, just thought my experience with it might be helpful. If anyone has had a different time with this powder, I'd be keen to know.

Thanks

Archived