What rifle should i buy ? ? ? ?

Hi there,

I am looking to buy my first rifle with fox and rabbit in mind . Can someone please advise me on what i should go for .204 , .223 or .22 250.

Regards,

Shane.

P.s I am new to this site so excuse my text and format if it is not correct.

Welcome to the site Shane.

There are so many good calibre's out there, i myself shoot a .222 as my main Foxing/Varmint rifle, and am more than happy with this round, good groups with factory ammo and even better homeloading.

Depends on what you want really, and at what ranges you intend on shooting at, i am taking bunnies at 300 yards plus with the .222.

Plenty of guys here who have other calibre's they can share their views with you :blink:

Guest northernchris

.223 and .22-250 are time proven vermin getters,ammo can be picked up from any gunshop no probs.The .223 is cheaper to run than the .22-250 ammo wise,that said the .22-250 has the legs over the .223.It all depends on what you intend to use it for,if its just for vermin either will get the job done if you want to go onto Roe north of the border or Chinkies and Munty down here i would go for .22-250.

Welcome Shane

simple is one that you like and one you can either purchase ammo for or easily reload for in your area.

My choice is 22-250, but thats personal preferance anyway, the calibres you mention are all good or your purpose - 204 may be marginal at "longer ranges".

Welcome Shane. All three of those calibre,s come under .22 centrefire [ok, the .204 is a twenty] but for firearms licensing, they are the same band, and if your land is passed for .22 centrefire, you could have any of them.

I have a .204 and a .223, and prefer the .204. The 22-250 will not do anything the .204 wont, when shot with light bullets, except make a bigger bang, but its a time proven calibre, and very good.

I have to agree with baldie, I have .204 (technically a tac20 but more or less the same as .204 ruger) and a std 22-250 and while they both shoot well, everytime I go into the cabinet for foxing or vermin shooting I am just drawn to the .204, it is just a pleausre to shoot, low recoil, quiet and accurate, also with loads for the .204 running a full 10grains less powder a KG of powder goes alot further, for foxes to 300 yards its spot on and for bunnies/crows etc 500 yard shots are by no means out of reach.

Guest brieny1000

welcome shane,

you can see there is a world of info here between all the lads.

223 means rounds that mervin has in stock "most" of the time

you could be waiting for the others.. and paulie usually has 1or2

rounds lying around!! :blink::D;)

Welcome Shane to the site,in your post you said Fox and Rabbit ,I have noticed that you have not been asked the a question are you going to be eating these rabbits ?,if so you may find that some of these calibres are a little over the top for your needs, even head shooting rabbits with a 204 causes bruising to the shoulders due to the impact,where if you were to use a 17hmr , because the velocity is slower it dosent create such trauma.

But if your looking for a round to just shoot both without needing the rabbit for dinner , the 204 ruger will do everything you want and more.

cheers Andy

Welcome Shane to the site,in your post you said Fox and Rabbit ,I have noticed that you have not been asked the a question are you going to be eating these rabbits ?,if so you may find that some of these calibres are a little over the top for your needs, even head shooting rabbits with a 204 causes bruising to the shoulders due to the impact,where if you were to use a 17hmr , because the velocity is slower it dosent create such trauma.

But if your looking for a round to just shoot both without needing the rabbit for dinner , the 204 ruger will do everything you want and more.

cheers Andy

hi shane a 22.250 you will want to have stalking or be a member or a rilfe range your best bet is a 223 ammo is priced ok you could look at a swift but also ammo is going to cost more

For your first gun you would be better off buying a 22 rimfire. I know that that wasn't the question but you will learn a lot and save yourself a lot of money. Shooting subs there is no noise issues. This may keep your police force happy as well.

If the budget allows get a 22 c/f as well or get the ticket and later apply for one.

I have a 222 but for ease, cost and popularity I think the 223 fits your bill.

:A big thank you to everybody who replied to my post. I will take all of your info. on board and try make the right decision over the next few weeks, and most likely will be back with more questions over the next few months.

Thanks again,

Shane.T

The questions you need to ask yourself are - Do I want to see you bullet's impact ?, am I prepared to reload?, how far do I need to reach?.

I have sold a 22.250 recently as I did not see many impacts on rabbits, and was it just LOUD without a moddy, it is though a great killer and no mistake. The replacement will be a 20 caliber wildcat that needs carefull reloading, it should though reach a very long way with fairly minimal recoil so you get the whole film show through the scope.

If you dont wish to reload go for .204, Craigyboy uses a 20 caliber beside a 22.250 and what does he prefer !. The 20 will shoot the same weight bullet faster, flatter and with less drift than a .22. If you reload then it uses less powder than a 22.250 as well.

First centerfire, use a 204.

A

Geoff

I think there may be an issue with reloading where Shane is based so its down to factory offerings.I`d personally say go for the 223 for the reasons that John`s stated or secondly the 204 which will probably be a little more expensive to run but seems to have a slight advantage ballistic wise

• 2 weeks later...

a 223 would be perfect loads of rifle makers in 223,cheap ammo,easy to get hold of, and will go to 300 yards plus easy with pratice. just got to get some targets up and pratice then you will no how many clicks to give the turret when going at longer range.

Shane, as a first rifle either hornet or 223 would be an option.

223 has cheaper ammo and a bit more oomph.

22-250 could be difficult to get because it's classified as a deer rifle and

the super will need to have a closer look at you. Funny a swift is

not a deer rifle?? and can be bought or licenced like a shotgun.

The swift is fairly hefty though with a hell of a bang and expensive ammo.

I'm just selling my 22-250 if you want to have a look at it, but as said

a 223 might be better.

edi

I have .223 as first cf and find it a good fox and vermin buster. I can see impact, factory ammo is relatively cheap, although i reload now. Acuracy is bang on. I`ve even taken head shot rabbits for the table as there was no damage to the meat.

Archived