Suspending steel gongs

What is the best way to suspend gongs? I am using chain and D shackles but seem to break the chain or shackles frustratingly often. Any better ways that might save me a 1200m round trip or two?

I use old hi-ab or ratchet straps that hauliers have chucked.....chainlink doesn't like bullets. Bullets for the most part pass straight through strapping.

Glad it isn't just me having this problem. Will find some old webbing as that sounds like a good idea. Keep the suggestions coming

yes,chain and shackles are vulnerable to bullet strikes-heavier chain/shackles obviously better,but will get busted eventually-maybe first shot-PITA

Conveyor belt strapping is much more resilient-or industrial webbing belt and the like.

Ditto metal frames-old tyres work well,but portability comes in too.Longer range=more issues,aand/or more exercise....:-)

I used balloons for sighting in-once you hit them, move onto target gongs-less likely to bash up the target holders.That's less likely,no guarantee-try flour in the balloons for novelty/encouragement,and they are light to carry.

gbal

13403830_282367812106489_522836370901101

Only issue I've had is on the single hole'd gongs is they can rotate, and sometimes do to a point where you cannot hit them, barstewards!

I'm going need to find a way to stop them rotating. However, on gongs with more than one hole, perfect.

If you keep an eye out on the roads you'll see them at the roadside all the time, constantly falling off lorries.....

Or just ask a friendly driver ;)

13403830_282367812106489_522836370901101

Only issue I've had is on the single hole'd gongs is they can rotate, and sometimes do to a point where you cannot hit them, barstewards!

I'm going need to find a way to stop them rotating. However, on gongs with more than one hole, perfect.

That looks just the ticket!! Now to search the highways for cast offs !!

Straps, seatbelts or fire hose work well and are lightweight. I tend to use convertor belt, as it lasts a bit longer and the added rigidity helps hold the plate square; especially when it's only held by one high tensile (8.8 or higher) bolt.

Also it is worth adding a spacer onto the fixing bolt, between the plate and the belt (a couple of 1/2" nuts or similar). This angles the plate slightly downwards (helping with wear and safety) and also means the splash doesn't cut the belt at all.

Archived