I have an older TR rifle which is a conversion of a No.4; the conversion was done by Geoff Hart (Cheltenham) included fitting a Brindles trigger.

The trigger has an allen key adjustment for trigger pull and is prone to slacking off giving a very light pull. Having heard and read contradictory advice on the use of Loctite 290 I thought I would ask for an opinion on here?

Loctite 290 is the green, wicking version. I would apply it very judiciously to a trigger screw as it might wick into the internals and really stuff things up. I would have thought that medium strength (blue) or low strength (purple) would have been better choices.

I use it for FSBs on ARs because of its wicking properties, although I have currently started using an alternative, Truloc 355 as it is available in smaller quantities

My question, are you more concerned with it coming loose or getting it loose?

I use it for FSBs on ARs because of its wicking properties, although I have currently started using an alternative, Truloc 355 as it is available in smaller quantities

My question, are you more concerned with it coming loose or getting it loose?

Coming loose Mark, which it does with regularity.

Whilst we don't tend to test triggers in HBSA/NRA historic competitions it would give me a secure feeling I am legal regarding allowed trigger weights.

Then glue it up

If you need to borrow some, let me know and I'll fetch some down to Bisley next week.

You won't have any problems with it

Alternatively, nail varnish

Thanks Mark, I do have some (green variety) but had seen various views on it's use.

Thanks Shuggy, I didn't know it came in different wicking grades.

Thanks Mark, I do have some (green variety) but had seen various views on it's use.

It has a capillary action and its main use if for screws that are already done up, thats why we use it to set FSBs

No, the blue and purple grades are not wicking. To use these grades you would have to fully remove the screw, degrease and apply. If you can't remove the screw, it would have to be the green variety. But be very careful and only apply a little!

Archived