H4350 & IMR4350

Oly

At the weekend I was told that H4350 and IMR4350 are nearly identical, with only 0.5gn difference between the two. I was just wondering if anyone can confirm this? After all, it was a salesman out of stock of IMR4350 who told me this! :lol:

The Hodgdon website shows the loads as being slightly more in some loads. :rolleyes:

If your working a load up then maybe worth thinking about but if its a known good recipe then why mess with it?

Having been in this position in the past I now just buy it when I see the stuff I use whether I need it or not.

Wife loves it, "I'll just nip in here for a look" :lol:

£100 later that didn't take long did it? :rolleyes:

It's not a known recipe, I've just been using H414 until now and thought it time to try another powder. So, what's the difference between the two?

The short answer is I dont know but the following excerpts from sierra,

We also now have a situation wherein powders having the “same” numerical designation are available from several different sources. Probably the best example of this is the slow-burning single-based rifle propellant known as 4350. Available now as the original IMR 4350, Hodgdon’s H4350 and Accurate Arms’ 4350, the potential for confusion is obvious. Other powders sharing this same situation are 4227, 4198, 4895, and 4831. Each of these powders is available from both the Hodgdon and IMR powder companies. Most of these are interchangeable with the similarly designated powder, i.e. H4895 with IMR 4895, but this is not always the case. The two 4831s, for example, are quite different and cannot be safely interchanged. For this reason, we recommend that loads be used exactly as they are shown in the manuals with no substitutions.

It it true. They can be substituted in any reasonable load. They lay adjacent to each other on the burning rate chart and their volumes are identical. If these powders weren't interchangeable I'd have done myself or my rifles some serious harm over the last 30 years. ~Andrew

Archived