Best Magnum Sound Moderators?

Guest Tiff

What are the best sound moderators (Reflex & Non-Reflex type) for magnum rounds in the 100 grain powder class? i.e. .300RUM, .338 LM etc. Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Tiff

Hi Tiff

I got a reflex T8 magnum onmy .300 winnie and it really does the job sweetly.

Sounds good. Do you ever have fears concerning corrosion etc. with that much powder/heat in a non strippable unit? Also does the standard magnum unit work for .338, or is that more expensive, as I'm finding everything with word '.338' in the title is.....

Sounds good. Do you ever have fears concerning corrosion etc. with that much powder/heat in a non strippable unit? Also does the standard magnum unit work for .338, or is that more expensive, as I'm finding everything with word '.338' in the title is.....

I have had it on my rifle for over a year now and have no concerns with corrosion, it still works extremly well, takes all the sting out of the rifle and is still good enough to fox with - if I could afford it.

Hope to modify an A-Tec modular design to take .338 for my own 338 build soon, don't think it will be an issue so long as the hole is big enough :D

Time will tell :lol:

There is just one problem with the stealth Pete, the guy who sold them, doesn,t replace faulty one,s or refund the money he took for them. :lol:

We ordered a centrefire model, and a rimfire one.They took that long, that the customer for the rimfire one cancelled, and the money for them both was taken the day they were ordered. The centrefire one eventually turned up, and the internal thread was bent.It went back, and we haven,t heard anything since, despite numerous e mails etc.

Not holding our breath, as i believe mr Stuart Crane is now selling motor oil?

I saw an a-tec modular one on kal,s .300 wsm at the fly shoot, and it was most impressive in sound suppression.The thickness of the steel, did away with the high pitched note from most mods. The t8 magnum is also very good on a magnum.

Deal with a reputable company who will still be there tomorrow.

I think the "whats best moderator" for magnums, is something you would have to decide for yourself.

A mate has been running a T8 on a 300 Winnie for over 7 years, but it is now showing signs of wear (corrosion) in the baffles and will soon require replacing.

It still works, but you can see parts of the baffles are missing :D

Having said that, it has served him well and had thousands of rounds through it, lived on the back of a quad in all sorts of poor conditions and delivered the goods when required.

Anything having 40'000 psi of hot gases pushed through on every firing it is going to wear - I think 7 years is excellent lifespan, with the mods that you can replace the parts, one could make the lifespan as long as you own it...

I'm not sure if all the available makers cans are suitable for 30 cal mags or larger, again something you would need to check with the suppliers.

Reflex will custom make a can for larger calibres - they made one for a .408 for Rob, but it wasn't cheap and it looks like a dustbin :lol:

I haven't read the article in depth, but I know that Chris has done a test of most Mods currently available for Sporting Rifle magazine - its in this months issue.

May be worth a look just to get an idea of whats available.

FWIW, I would look for a design that is easy to maintain, robust and easy on the wallet.

You could fit a brake to the rifle in question and have a gunsmith cut a deep recessed crown, which would reduce noise a bit (the recessed crown not the brake)

The brake would obviously reduce recoil, but not blast.

Hope you find what you want....

Cheers Ronin and others.

The Reflex T8 seems to be one of the best options to choose from so far.....£226 and a 2 year guarantee.

Or is there some rust issues with this mod, considering it is non-stoppable and I will probably put around 100 + rounds a month through it....Then again stipabble units seem to cost alot more....

The SAKO brake is very good at reducing the punch, but is still very very load!

Also has anyone had any luck with the Wildcat mods on magnum rifles?

Also has anyone had any luck with the Wildcat mods on magnum rifles?

Hi Tiff

I run a Wildcat on a 6mm/284 and a 220 AI, not quite in your powder league :rolleyes: but they run 59g & 50g of N160.

I also use it on the 221 fireball, I only mention this to show that its used on three rifles, completely strippable and interchangable, (WC 200 & WC 300 used) even if required for a new rifle with a different thread you only require the rear threaded section, and probably the rear bushing.

Strip it down drop it in the ultrasonic bath, couldn't be easier. the only probem i've had with mine is that a very small amount of the external coating has started to come away. No probelm when the new Manners is fitted I will get Dura coated by Kal.

I had mine over 5 years, it's shot in excess 3000 rounds. Still going strong.

Cheers Steve

Have a look at the Brugger & Thomet suppressors from Switzerland, they will make you a calibre specific mod that is rated for full auto and with a 10,000 rnd service life. Also speak to Julian of JMS arms about the PES range as they will make one of specials which again are rated for full auto and are used by the NZ SAS.

All the best,

Nick.

Hi Nick, if only I could afford a custom £400 to 600+ Brugger & Thomet mod...............

I have owned a few PES mods and while very effective, are not easy to clean/completely non strippable on some models and are usually very heavy......

I've been on the phone to the chap at Wildcat mods and that sounds like the best option so far. Completely strippable and modular, making it very easy to clean. Also I can get a couple of spare parts and easily swop it over to my .308. Plus the option of custom expansion chamber lengths so it can run right back to the forend. All for a resonable price of £275

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated and are there any reasons why I shouldn't choose a Wildcat mod?

Cheers Tiff

Iuse a stealth on my rem mag and works great, a mate has just switched from a T8 to a Ase Compact and says its fantastic on his 300 win mag.

If you want rolls royce of mods the Brugger & Thomet is the way forward.

BUT they are an end can design and not servicable by us (they have to go for service at the factory every 10000 rounds)

Pricewise, they are not much more than any other moderator (I know what they cost) - the only difficulty you will have is they do not do a magnum model.

The UK importers list .224, 6mm and .30 cal models plus a rimfire in their inventory.

If you want rolls royce of mods the Brugger & Thomet is the way forward.

BUT they are an end can design and not servicable by us (they have to go for service at the factory every 10000 rounds)

Pricewise, they are not much more than any other moderator (I know what they cost) - the only difficulty you will have is they do not do a magnum model.

The UK importers list .224, 6mm and .30 cal models plus a rimfire in their inventory.

Hi Andy,

It was good to see you at the CLA, With regard to the B&T mods, you are right to say that they are not much more expensive than any other mod. I paid £240 for one about 12 months ago. However I have to disagree that they dont make a magnum model. B&T manufacture 338 lapua sniper rifles which they will supply with suppressors if the end user requires them and they also supplied Accuracy with suppressors for their 338 AWs. I dont see the service issue as being a problem as the mod will outlast most rifle barrels several times over. I never understand the obsession people in the uk have with stripping and cleaning centrefire suppressors.

All the best,

Nick.

Hi Andy,

It was good to see you at the CLA, With regard to the B&T mods, you are right to say that they are not much more expensive than any other mod. I paid £240 for one about 12 months ago. However I have to disagree that they dont make a magnum model. B&T manufacture 338 lapua sniper rifles which they will supply with suppressors if the end user requires them and they also supplied Accuracy with suppressors for their 338 AWs. I dont see the service issue as being a problem as the mod will outlast most rifle barrels several times over. I never understand the obsession people in the uk have with stripping and cleaning centrefire suppressors.

All the best,

Nick.

hi nick

i have to agree there is no reason to keep stripping your mod, keep using it till something goes wrong,(don't try and fix what ain't broke)

tiff

you asked what is the best, well its the B&T and it would be the one i would put on a large cal like the 338 it will pay dividends in the long run,as you will not be sending it back asking for new baffles and so on.

10,000 rounds before it needs a service,tells you what you are buying, some mods ask for the mod to be striped in 100 rounds and serviced.

go on take the plunge.

ATB

Colin :lol:

Hi Nick

I was only going off the current brochure I have from the UK importers of B&T (Viking Arms), they don't list a 338 or magnum moderator in their stocklist.

I stand corrected, and having just looked at the B&T website, I note they do moderators for not only 338, but 408 CT and 50 cal too.

Maybe this could be your solution Tiff, if you want me to make an enquiry over availability I will as I am over there in the next few days getting a HS Precision HTR to test?

Yes, it was good to catch up again at the CLA :lol:

Maybe this could be your solution Tiff, if you want me to make an enquiry over availability I will as I am over there in the next few days getting a HS Precision HTR to test?

Well I suppose I asked for the best, so better take the plunge.........

I just gave Viking Arms a call and they quoted me £550 ish for a forward mounted .338 B&T suppressor :lol: .

That I though put an end to that idea!

However, Sporting Services are able to get a type G B&T suppressor (link below) for September time for £375. So unless I'm missing something is this the right mod to go for?

http://www.altrus.com.sg/SoundSuppressorsRifleTypeG.htm

Cheers for your help so far.

Well I suppose I asked for the best, so better take the plunge.........

I just gave Viking Arms a call and they quoted me £550 ish for a forward mounted .338 B&T suppressor :lol: .

That I though put an end to that idea!

However, Sporting Services are able to get a type G B&T suppressor (link below) for September time for £375. So unless I'm missing something is this the right mod to go for?

http://www.altrus.com.sg/SoundSuppressorsRifleTypeG.htm

Cheers for your help so far.

Hi Mate,

I bought my B&T through Sporting Services, Graham is very helpful, the type G is an excellent suppressor and is on a par with american suppressor technology , it may be slightly more expensive than the competition but I dont think you will be disappointed.

Nick.

B&T are awesome build quality.

The 338LM develops quite a bit of pressure, if you need a mod for it, then this will do nicely.

I have a modular A-Tec I intend to try with my own 338, we will see how it does, pretty sure it will be fine, it just needs reaming out to the correct boresize.

Buy once and live with it.

Graham is indeed a great chap to deal with and at that price they are almost a steal...

Archived