When is it time to ditch your brass?

foxyloxy

As per the title basically folks.

I just started into prepping 4 times fired Lapua 260 brass & some of the primer pockets provided very little resistance to seating the primers. Actually 2 of the pockets wouldn't hold the primers at all. Obviously these were dumped.

Would it be safe to say that so long as the brass looks visually ok, there is no stiff bolt on opening & the primer pockets hold the primers etc, then the brass is good for another firing?

Thanks in advance.

FL

Loose primer pockets - bin and reduce load

Very tight fit in shell holder - bin

Run a probe up the inside of the case, if you feel an indentation near the base - bin

If you are not sure - bin

Brass is cheap and replaceable

I've reloaded .308 and .260 for several years now, and I've never lost a case due to neck splitting, primer pocket expansion or head separation.

Stick to loads sanctioned by the manuals (or lower...), keep your brass clean and use good techniques and lubes and you'll be fine.

As Chanonry says above, if you're worried about incipient case head separation, straighten out a paper clip or similar piece of wire and put a 90° bend about 1 to 2 mm from the end. Insert into the case and draw the bent end up the inside wall of the case, If you feel a "tick" as the end travels up or down, it's a thinned ring where the case is about to separate. Bin it.

maxresdefault.jpg

maximus otter

If your brass is showing slack primer pockets after only 4 loads then I would seriously review your load pressures.....Lap brass should go 3 or 4 times that easily.

Thanks very much for the invaluable information as always folks. I hadn't considered the paper clip trick & yes a couple of pieces were tight to slide into the shellholder.

As for only 4 firings on Lapua brass - yes I thought I should have got more out of them. I'm shooting a 260 Ackley & off course not being in my reloading manuals, I was working a bit blind.

I started at max load for the the 260 rem (45.5 grains if I recall) and worked up in 0.3 grain intervals. I settled on 47.1 grains of H4831SC behind a 139 gr Lapua Scenar showing no pressure signs. Granted it is a compressed load, but I had read about other shooters running at 48 grains with the same recipe!

I'm getting 2820fps out of a 22" barrel

What do you think guys? Too hot?

Thanks in advance.

FL

foxloxy

Your load sounds pretty hot. I've some Nosler brass for the 260 Rem currently going through its twelfth firing. I bought Nosler brass before the Lapua brass became available and suspect I've got a bit of life in the Nosler brass yet.

Regards

JCS

...behind a 139 gr Lapua Scenar showing no pressure signs. Granted it is a compressed load, but I had read about other shooters running at 48 grains with the same recipe!

I'm getting 2820fps out of a 22" barrel

What do you think guys? Too hot?

I'm loading for a .260 Remington out of a 28" 1:8.5 Border Archer barrel. The maximum book load with a 139 gr. Scenar of Vihtavuori N160 (43.4 grains?) gives me 2,783 fps.

You be the judge...

maximus otter

260Rem factory loadings (SAAMI) 24 inch barrel:

Nosler 140 Partition 2800 fps

Federal 140 Sierra GK 2700

Rem 140 Core Lokt UB 2750

Rem 140 SP 2750

Nosler 130 Accubond 2800

Nosler 125 Partition 2950

Fed 120 Nosler BT 2950

gbal

Archived