hi all

i have got a laminated stock to finish off,

do i have to seal it???

if so what should i use, so i can still see the laminated colour

and what type of lacquer is the best, i will be using satin finish

ATB

Colin :)

Hi Col

I have a laminate stock on my F Class rifle, ive sealed it with Ronseal quick dry clear gloss varnish (about 20 thin coats) looks pretty good and is hard durable finish.

Cost about a fiver for a small tin.

Seems quite nice and if you sand with 800 bettween coats it gives a lovely finish.

Col, you want some cellulose sanding sealer.Apply a coat, then sand down with fine steel wool.Then another coat, and sand again.Then a couple of coats of birchwood casey truoil, sanded inbetween. Its simple, its clear, and its hi gloss , that leaves the true colour of the wood showing through.

I,ve just finished that red one from Joel, and will hopefully have some pics tomorrow.If you cant get this stuff, let me know, and i,ll sort it.

Col, you want some cellulose sanding sealer.Apply a coat, then sand down with fine steel wool.Then another coat, and sand again.Then a couple of coats of birchwood casey truoil, sanded inbetween. Its simple, its clear, and its hi gloss , that leaves the true colour of the wood showing through.

I,ve just finished that red one from Joel, and will hopefully have some pics tomorrow.If you cant get this stuff, let me know, and i,ll sort it.

hi Dave

i am having it sprayed. and the customer as asked for it to be satin, any ideas

ATB

Colin

Yep, get it sprayed in straightforward 2 pack car laquer.Then wet flat with 1200 grit, and buff to a dull sheen. Its a great finish if you have a mate who does cars etc.

Yep, get it sprayed in straightforward 2 pack car laquer.Then wet flat with 1200 grit, and buff to a dull sheen. Its a great finish if you have a mate who does cars etc.

sounds like a goer bud.

if i manage to get the first one done tomorrow i will put some picks up.

ATB

Colin :)

Archived