duracoted rifle

Guest bert

Looks like a great deal Bert.

Is that price for the Stock, Barreled action / moderator and scope in the two colours shown (Black and green)?

Barreled action , moderator ,bolt, sun shade, scope rings, and bases great guy to deal with, and a first class job as you can see, very pleased with the job ;)

Looks like a bargain Dave :)

your right there james and at the right price to, so we are all happy and £90 better off..................

Dave, if you work out what I quoted you for the whole rifle, the price you have paid is the same...you just cant help some folk. :)

A bit of competition can only be a good thing for the consumer, i wonder how much his kits will be?

Ian.

On another wind up Ian?

Before we start let me just give you the low down on this...

It is highly illegal to sell Duracoat on a retail basis in the EU, this is due to the Health and Safety info on the product being in the US format.

Now the only way to get around this is to have all the info transfered to the EU SARS and REACH format by a Chemist, which costs £1000s to do, however, once done the product info is then incorporated into the company (Who is retailing it) name and is registered as the legal retailer.

I have spent the £1000s and have all the correct H&S info to accompany the product, now perhaps you will understand why the product costs what it does, or am I still taking the p*ss?

Feel free to research all the info as you please, just in case im making it up. :)

Guest northernchris

Dave

It looks like Wayne made a good job on your boom stick ;)

James

So your saying the "product" in this case Duracoat needs H+S doc to retail out ??????,but this isnt this the case for most if not all products that are possibly hazardous,ie if you retail engine oil you will/should have all H+S docs on the product and have copys avalible for the public.

Have you have had ALL the different Duracoat products " transfered to the EU SARS and REACH format by a Chemist"

Not having a go just trying to get the full picture.

Dave

It looks like Wayne made a good job on your boom stick B)

James

So your saying the "product" in this case Duracoat needs H+S doc to retail out ??????,but this isnt this the case for most if not all products that are possibly hazardous,ie if you retail engine oil you will/should have all H+S docs on the product and have copys avalible for the public.

Have you have had ALL the different Duracoat products " transfered to the EU SARS and REACH format by a Chemist"

Not having a go just trying to get the full picture.

Chris

Does the engine oil come from the USA and are you importing it? What is the HAZCAM classification for the product?

Yes I have all the paperwork transfered across for the products im retailing and yes it requires this H&S paperwork to be retailed.

Not sure why you need the full picture Chris, but you have your reasons.

F*ck me what is it with all you people, cant anyone make a living, or is it just to hard to grasp that things cost money! ;)

The thing is so does everything else (cost money that is), fuel,food basic costs of living so when people nowadays are spending money o toys they want it as cheap as poss. Its just the way Britain is going. ;)

Ads

Kal

just so ive got this right (in my limited mind)

If someone sells the Duracoat Kit - without UK (Euro) Hazard Warnings they commit an offence under H&S Regs?

That could indeed be very expensive for them....

However if someone coats a rifle using Duracoat from a non certified source (ie they dont get it from you in the UK) that is ok as the product has been applied by a third party and the end user doesnt come into contact with the chemicals in a "hazardous state".

Ive just looked on the Lauer Custom Rifles site (who manufacture Duracoat), and notice when I scroll through the "Certified Finishers" that there is only one such company in the UK - your own. (have to say there are 100's in the states)

Given the fact that you spent a couple of weeks (I think) at Lauers doing their course to become a Certified Finisher and know the product backwards - if someone were to buy Duracoat from another source (other than Lauers) and import / start using it in the UK, what guarantees would be upheld by Lauer if the product came off or was applied incorrectly.

I guess that there would be none.

Other than any guarantee supplied with the company who applied the product in the first place. ;)

Quote "However if someone coats a rifle using Duracoat from a non certified source (ie they dont get it from you in the UK) that is ok as the product has been applied by a third party and the end user doesnt come into contact with the chemicals in a "hazardous state"." Quote

I would imagine even if it was done as you say the person/persons doing the coating would have to have Coshh & MSDS sheets for that particular chemical. If the person doing the job was a company anyway.

Ads

Kal

If someone sells the Duracoat Kit - without UK (Euro) Hazard Warnings they commit an offence under H&S Regs?

However if someone coats a rifle using Duracoat from a non certified source (ie they dont get it from you in the UK) that is ok as the product has been applied by a third party and the end user doesnt come into contact with the chemicals in a "hazardous state".

Ive just looked on the Lauer Custom Rifles site (who manufacture Duracoat), and notice when I scroll through the "Certified Finishers" that there is only one such company in the UK - your own. (have to say there are 100's in the states)

Given the fact that you spent a couple of weeks (I think) at Lauers doing their course to become a Certified Finisher and know the product backwards - if someone were to buy Duracoat from another source (other than Lauers) and import / start using it in the UK, what guarantees would be upheld by Lauer if the product came off or was applied incorrectly.

Other than any guarantee supplied with the company who applied the product in the first place. ;)

Yes, if the product is sold without the relevant MSDS then a breach of H&S would be in play.

Yes, if anyone gets Duracoat from another source they can apply it, however, if it isnt shipped in the correct manner, ie with all the relevant HAZMAT forms completed then the person sending and recieving would be breaking the law. This is a serious breach of H&S in this country and in the EU thats why it has cost £1000s to register the product enabling me to retail it.

There are some very nasty chemicals in this product, more than I realised and the effects of some of them are permanant.

Product warranty is down to whoever applies it I guess, yes its not that difficult to apply but that the easy part, there are lots of tricks and to learn in the process though.

The difficult bit is when it goes wrong and you have just coated a £1500 S&B or £2500 custom rifle.

I was kind of hoping that people would see all this as a good product and service, but as soon as you attempt to make a living out of it the sour grapes kick in...human nature I guess.

Kal

Other than any guarantee supplied with the company who applied the product in the first place. :)

dcfaq.gif

As an average gun owner, can I properly apply DuraCoat products without training? Absolutely! DuraCoat is extremely easy to apply. Anyone can do it. DuraCoat was designed for the average gun owner. Preheating, baking and blasting are not required. Expensive, space consuming equipment is not needed. Simply clean and degrease the surface prior to application. If you don't have access to an airbrush, HVLP spray gun or conventional spray gun, our EZ Airbrush (#1SAB) is all the equipment needed and sells for less than $25.00.

If I have a problem applying DuraCoat, what can I do? If you need assistance of any kind, call 1-800-830-6677 Monday through Friday 6:00AM to 8:00PM (CST) and Saturday 10:00AM to 6:00PM (CST). A team of DuraCoat technicians are available to assist you with all aspects of the DuraCoat process. From selecting the most suitable DuraCoat product, color or pattern for your application to troubleshooting prep or finishing situations, we are here to help you.

How durable is DuraCoat? DuraCoat is permanent. With normal use, a firearm finished with DuraCoat will last several lifetimes.

What is DuraCoat? DuraCoat is a two part chemical coating. Unlike other firearm finishes, DuraCoat was created specifically for firearms. Other firearm finishes are "spin-off's" from other industries.

Is DuraCoat Teflon based? No. Teflon is a lubricating coating which is great for internals, but will not wear as well as DuraCoat on the exterior surface of a firearm. DuraCoat's combination of elasticity and hardness creates a finish impervious to impact, scratching and the elements. Some users say DuraCoat displays some lubricating qualities, but this phenomenon was never intended when DuraCoat was created.

Do I have to be a certified finisher to purchase DuraCoat products? Absolutely not! DuraCoat can be purchased by anyone. DuraCoat was designed for gun owners with little or no firearm finishing skills.

How do I apply DuraCoat? DuraCoat can be applied by airbrush, conventional spray gun, or HVLP spray gun.

Can DuraCoat be brushed on? No, absolutely not. DuraCoat is for spray application only.

If DuraCoat is so easy to apply, why do you offer workshops? The workshops focus on special prep and application techniques for the commercial DuraCoat finisher.

Will DuraCoat adhere to hard coat anodizing and Parkerizing? DuraCoat loves hard coat anodizing and Parkerizing as a base. Both processes leave a good rooting surface for DuraCoat.

How much DuraCoat is needed to finish one rifle? A 4 oz. container of DuraCoat will coat 1-2 long guns or 2-4 handguns.

Are the Peel 'n Spray templates reusable? Yes. Most patterns can be used up to 6 times. The MirageFlage pattern is difficult to reuse because of the many angles. To reuse the template, remove from the firearm and place on wax paper for future use.

Do I need a special degreaser? Yes. Some degreasers, especially those used in the automotive industry, can leave a residue. This residue will form a barrier between the surface and DuraCoat causing a coating failure. We manufacture TruStrip degreaser solely for the firearms industry. TruStrip is capable of cleaning the contaminates commonly found on and in firearms and will not leave a residue.

Do I need a special solvent to clean my airbrush or spray gun? Lacquer thinner will work, but clean your equipment with DuraCoat reducer occasionally. This will keep your airbrush or spray gun in top working condition.

Is reducing DuraCoat required? Depending on your spray equipment, spray technique, climate and environment your DuraCoat may or may not need reducing. If your DuraCoat does not lay down smooth on the surface of your firearm, it most likely needs to be reduced. Always have some DuraCoat Reducer on hand as it may be required on given days due to weather conditions. DuraCoat Retarder Reducer cures problems normally occurring in high humidity weather. One of these high humidity problems called "blushing" makes the DuraCoat appear cloudy. Another called "dry spray" occurs when some of the DuraCoat dries before it reaches the firearm and causes a rough or dusty surface.

Can I blend DuraCoat colors together? Yes. All DuraCoat colors can be intermixed. With a handful of standard DuraCoat colors, you can create an infinite number of colors by blending them.

When is DuraCoat fully cured? DuraCoat is dry to the touch in 20 minutes, can be handled in 1 hour and is ready for use overnight. Although DuraCoat will gain most of its final hardness, elasticity and chemical resistance over a 2-3 week period, time will continue to enhance DuraCoat's characteristics over a lifetime. DuraCoat, like fine wine, gets better with age. As we say, "DuraCoat wears in, not out."

How do I apply DuraCoat to wood? Degrease and lightly sand wood surfaces. Use DuraFil to remove any scratches and dings, then apply DuraCoat. Allow to dry overnight. Do not bake.

I hunt along saltwater. Will DuraCoat withstand the salty environment? Certainly. DuraCoat is well suited for salty environments. One of DuraCoat's attributes is its extreme ability to resist salt corrosion. A firearm coated with DuraCoat simply will not rust...EVER!

What is the shelf life of DuraCoat? The shelf life of DuraCoat is 12-18 months if properly sealed and stored in a cool, dark place. The shelf life of DuraCoat hardener is 6 months, but can be extended by sealing it in a zip lock bag and placing it in a refrigerator.

Will DuraCoat burn off my barrel? DuraCoat can withstand temperatures as high has 500-600 degrees F. With "normal" shooting, your barrel will never get close to being that hot. If you are fortunate enough to own a transferable machine gun, or if you like to "blaze" with your semi-auto, do not put DuraCoat on your barrel, as your barrel temperature will rise to over 1,000 degrees F. In those cases, use DuraHeat. Our DuraHeat coating can handle temperatures up to 1,800 degrees F.

How easy is DuraCoat removed? Not easy at all. The elastic nature of DuraCoat resists blasting. A qualified individual, with the proper blast media, can safely remove DuraCoat without damaging the surface of the firearm. Be careful. In most cases, we recommend lightly blasting the surface, being cautious not to remove any DuraCoat. Just "beat up" the DuraCoat giving it "tooth" so your new application of DuraCoat has something to adhere to.

Which is more durable, DuraCoat or DuraBake? Both DuraCoat and DuraBake are extremely durable. The advantage of DuraBake is its availability in a convenient aerosol can. The advantage of DuraCoat is it does not have to be baked and is available in an incredible number of colors.

How come other firearm finish manufacturers boast hardness, but make no mention of elasticity? In the case of firearm finishes, a common misconception is "harder is better". This is faulty "old school thinking". Hardness means brittle and brittle means chipping. DuraCoat, being elastic, will not chip. If your DuraCoat chips, it means you have a preparation problem. Most likely, the surface was not clean. Elasticity provides protection by "giving" when confronted with impact. Elasticity also helps prevent scratches and mars.

How do I become a certified DuraCoat finisher? Generally you must attend one or more DuraCoat workshops.

Why are some certified finishers listed on your website? Most certified DuraCoat finishers are employed by manufacturers and gun shops or have contracts or working relationships with various entities. The certified finishers listed on our website are hoping to acquire DuraCoat finishing work by having a presence on the DuraCoat site.

Does LCW still offer finishing service? Yes, call 1-800-830-6677 for a quote.

What is the turnaround time if I send a firearm to LCW to be refinished? Generally the turnaround time is 2-3 weeks. At times, we get extremely busy and the time gets extended. When this happens, we notify our customers.

How can I qualify for Dealer Pricing? Send us your FFL if you are a firearms dealer. Send us your business license if you operate a business other than firearms sales.

Does LCW offer Law Enforcement Pricing on DuraCoat Products? Yes, send a department letterhead requesting Law Enforcement Pricing.

http://www.lauerweaponry.com/

i have highlighted the bits of interest.

ATB

Colin ;)

Cheers Col

I had read that but thought that the "sales to anyone" referred to continental US rather than to Europe as the shipping regs are different to the US.

Obviously I am not knocking the free market and any competition in an economy is good for the end user,

BUT if the competitors are not 100% in application / back up of the product, then "buy cheap buy twice" springs to mind.

For example, I wouldn't even think of buying a DIY kit off Kal, when he does such a good job at reasonable cost and I know that if there is any issue with the finish, it will be sorted no question.

Now we have two people doing the Duracoat finishing at reasonable cost ;)

Plus when were are having rifles and scopes worth literally £1000's of pounds in value coated, I want it done by someone who has at least full knowledge of his product.

Don't think for one minute I am knocking the work done on Berts rifle, it is probably a great job (it certainly looks it), the true test will be to see the same gun in 12 months time and see how its stood up to frequent use.

I have a mate who uses a fully coated rifle / scope/ stock every week in competitions over here and abroad, the finish is still 100% 12 months on.

Its a big step to trust someone to take away a custom rifle and re-finish it. :)

Just for the record

I,ve been watching this one a bit and its me that did daves rifle

And I,m well aware of all the haz mat procedures and nasty stuff storidge as we have all the chemicals for blueing and chrome plating around the place IE Cyanide ,hydrochloric acid , sulfuric acid , nitric acid , amonium hydrosulfide and lots of other nasty stuff

So we are well aware of the procedures with this stuff and its done in a 2,ooo sq foot industrial premesies used for matal finishing wich one of us has been doing for the last 20 years so no probs there then

Wayne & Col

Archived