Welsh Varmint Safari

6mmBR

Well he's done it again, another great days shooting with Andy.

Last week when Ray was down Andy and I had arranged to meet up last night for a nights foxing on another keepered estate further down the coast.

Anyway the phone rang yesterday morning, it was Andy....."I've got the day off, get down early and we'll go for a mooch about"

Well into the car and off to go. We were meeting at Ians so thats just over the hour in the car.

I arrived and we jumped in my car and off we headed to the farm to set up over looking a valley with a dead tree at the bottom.

The crows and pigeons just love landing in it and its a perfectly safe shot as the ground rises up steeply behind giving an excellent back stop.

We spent some time glassing the area when a pigeon landed in another tree at 276 yards.

Andy set up his 6BR I put the drops and wind in Exbal, called out the corrections and we were set.

He squeezed the trigger and the pigeon erupted in a ball of feathers.

DSCF0248.jpg

Andy then missed a crow out of the dead tree at 400yards exploding the branch it was sitting on.

I had a shot at a crow out in a field at 642 yards I was bang on for elevation but the misjudged the wind and the round struck 6 inches right.

Never mind it happens. The rain set in and we decided to pop to the pub for a bar meal before we met up with Mark the keeper further up the coast.

We arrived at Marks around 7.30 so he took us around the shoot in the pick up so we could familiarise ourselves with the ground in daylight. Also we could have a shot at any vermin around the place and may be any foxes mooching about.

Andy was keen to show Mark how effective the 6BR is. We were glassing a steep bank and Andy spotted 2 crows feeding.

"Here's a shot for you Dave, a crow at 920 yards"

Well you've got to have a go. The wind had died of to virtually nothing, so in went the details to Exbal.

I set up for the shot, Andy and Mark watching with binoculars. I squeezed the trigger and what seemed like an age I saw the strike about a foot right. that which promotes growth and vigour that was close.

Andy said reload the bugger has landed again range 910 yards, I left the settings as they were and just held off by a foot.

I saw the round strike in the scope, I landed it right on him. Dust and feathers, the crow lifted to try and fly and collapsed.

DSCF0252.jpg

As you can imagine we were all speechless, Mark was the best he said I thought 150 yards on a fox with my .222 was a long way.

Words can not describe how I feel, but that shot was the cullmination of a lot of hard work and practice.

Precision handloading with carefully chronographed loads. Exbal giving me the guidance for the shot, lots of practice on the range and in the field in variable conditions.

A shot to remember forever, my eventual goal the 1000 yard club, which gets ever closer.

What a fantastic day but it was not over yet. Darkness fell and off in the pickup we went.

Andy said make sure you've plenty of ammo! So I popped some extra in the ruck sack in case.

Well foxes there were lots of them. Eyes lighting up all around us. Andy called and in came the first one a straight forward 80 yarder. I relaxed a bit after getting the first one in the bag.

Another pair of eyes looking at us from 120 yards this one slightly spooked by that first shot, didn't want to come anycloser. Andy lit it up and I could clearly see its head above the grass so I took the shot and down it went.

We drove around the area and we cleaned up 5 foxes, we had the dog and vixen and 3 cubs.

On we went, we failed to get on a couple due to an unsafe back stop( better safe than sorry )and heavy cover which they retreated into.

I mopped up a barren vixen the next farm over and also another cub.

A cracking nights foxing finnishing on a total of 7 foxes.

DSCF0737.jpg

Thanks again Andy for a cracking days sport.

A shot of a liftime for me on that crow and a superb nights foxing to round it off.

As ever in great company.

Thanks

Dave

Afternoon mate bet you had a late one getting home,Glad you had a good time and as you know your always welcome, A cracking picture of my pigeon (it was only 634yrds closer than your crow :rolleyes: )

Turned out to be a good night as well, as I said to you its a nice oppotunity for my to do some lamping for a change as I am usually on the rifle and it gives me a good feeling seeing someone who can do the job as well.

I hope you havent been on the phone to Ray , winding him up :lol::lol:

We gotta get a Video sorted of all this action ,it would be great to keep and show the lads ;) .

Just going to check the 243 for zero as I have another nite of it tonight down at Toms ,he has 6000 pheasants in the pens and needs the Charlies thinning out , aint it a bitch but someone has to do it :huh: .

Speak to you later mate ;)

No worries, I got home just after 4am so having a lazy day, anyway good luck tonight.

Give us a bell if you fancy some bunny bashing tomorrow.

Cheers

Dave

congrats dave, that is bloody amazing, I dont really know what to say a crow at 910 yards is insane beyond all belief, all in all that sounds like one brilliant day that wont be forgotten, good luck on getting to the 1000 yard club, you aint far away :huh: I am still aiming for the 500 yard club myself I have a long way to go yet :rolleyes: , I need to get my exbal setup and going. Congrats again Dave.

Thanks for that Craigyboy.

The feeling after that shot was so different to the feelings after getting into the 500 yard club with the 631 yard crow. It was a feeling of awe, that you can reach out and connect with pests at that kind of range. The 6BR is such an awesome little cartridge when matched with 87Vmax.

I think to move on to longer distances I think the way to go will be with my 6.5-284, but I need to spend a lot more range time with this rifle before I attempt it.

The 6BR I've had now for 4 years and it is like an old pair of slippers and I know its quirks and capabilties, having spent many hours on the range and expending many rounds of ammmunition in practice. This certainly gives you the confidence when a shot like that presents itself.

Thanks again

Dave

Awesome Dave, well done pard, hell I can't get to the 300 marker :) 910 stunning pard. I have watched guys shoot this distance at large beasts but a crow at that range is a very small target and something really worth braggin' about, good read and good on ya' pard.

Hi Dave ,

Well what can i can say but " well done buddy " hell of a shot!!! :)

Just goes to show when you get all your calculations right - / wind / angle of shot / humitity / pressure / what kind of results you can get!!!!!

Well pleased for you!!!!!

Nice one on the foxes too lads!!!! :)

Andy , well done on you pigeon too!! ;) , wish i was there with you boys - but then i should not be greedy as i had a fantastic time when i was up with you lads!!!! ;):D

As always , a cracking read / shooting / and thanks for sharing!!!

All the best.............

RAY........................ ;):D

I have just got off the phone with two Farmers Ray thats got fox trouble :) ,

So I am gonna set it up again for nxt Friday so Dave can come and have another go. ;)

Theres Always A Train UP on Friday Ray then Back to Cornwall on Saturday :)

I dont think Dave will be long until he has the 1000yrd shot , I can see that 6.5x284 comming out the cupboard ;) .

He is gona have to by a better range finder before long so he can do 1500 :D

Speak to you soon Captain ;)

Thanks for the kind replies lads.

I was just talking to Andy about it now. As Neil said where now and thats a good question.

As you push the envelope there are so many limiting factors with optics and rifle chamberings.

I think the 1000 is do able but beyond who knows.

Neil we'll be in touch when we go up the mountain so you can have a try.

I think a scope with target turrets and dials in MOA would be a great asset to your kit if you want to try out for the further stuff.

Cheers all

Dave

Hi Dave,

1000 YDS is definately do-able :) , using the 6.5-284 with those high BC .640 / Bergers will help you get there!!!!

Just got to save up for my new rig now - problem is i am looking forward to coming up to shoot with you lads again - so must put some money aside !! ;):lol: , please remember if want to come down to cornwall for a shoot / please let me know!!! ;)

Andy ,

I spoke to Dave and am hoping to get up with you in November , oh yes well done on your other post on getting one of those foxes that was causing a problem!! ;)

All the best lads..................

RAY........................... :D:D

So your thinking of comming up in november , give a few days notice so I can get things organised, would be a good time if we have some dry time then as theres an awful lot of ground we can do and can start alot earlier than we do at the moment.

Could you get up for a weekend before then,up Friday back Monday , your always welcome here.

Hope to come down very soon for a stalk with Kieth so I will give you a shout .

What a cracking shot.... well done.

Can you give us the detail of your tackle ;) , whats the rifle and what mag were you shooting on etc.

Just put in for a 243 variation, wish I had put 6mm now :) typical.

How much difference will there be in real terms between 243 and 6br with 87 gr vmax?

What a cracking shot.... well done.

Can you give us the detail of your tackle ;) , whats the rifle and what mag were you shooting on etc.

Just put in for a 243 variation, wish I had put 6mm now :) typical.

How much difference will there be in real terms between 243 and 6br with 87 gr vmax?

Hi Eldon the kit used was my RPA Interceptor in 6mmBR with a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 with the NP2-DD reticle.

The load was 30gn Vit N135, Fed Gold match primer and an 87 Vmax seated 10 thou off the lands.

This load giving an average velocity of 2900fps.

The crow was shot at 22x mag for clarity, I could still see the strike of the bullet as the recoil on a 6BR is light. The crow was ranged using a Leica 1200 Scan.

DSCF0655.jpg

Answering your question, the .243 winchester will out perform the 6BR muzzle velocity wise.

The 6BR when loaded up is knocking on .243 performance for 10+ grains powder less.

All in all the 6BR is a sweet round.

Cheers

Dave

Archived