410 Hushpower advice

Hi folks , got a 410 and my mate says cant use plastic wads thru it ? Well i did , seems fine , may have some plastic bits in the moderator but as long as i clean it surly itl be fine . Also does the moderator just unscrew ? I plan to reload this once iv shot all cartridges 350 odd . I seen the lee hand kit , any tips on any reloading or kit please tell . Thanks .

For reloading shotgun cartridges the Lee Loadall will be fine but the MEC 600 is a better made press in my opinion also more expensive. If you think you are going to load a lot then consider the MEC.

If you are just starting reloading get a good book first and read it then read it again, the Lyman shotshell manual 5th edition is good as is the BPI advantages manual. Then you need to find a recipe that you can get components for, best if these are available local to you, posting powders and primers is expensive. Do some internet searches for UK suppliers they quite often have load recipes available I use Clay & Game but there is also Folkestone Engineering both are good plus there are a few others.

I don't own or shoot a 410 so just an overview of what I have learn't with 12 gauge.

One last thing not sure about plastic wads and moderators, be safe ask a gunsmith or contact importers.

Thanks guys , shuggy does the moderator come off at all ? Its a pedretti single , lovlee little gun , ok it quite basic and the cheaquring is comical . A joy to use tho , atb

• 1 month later...

You can use plastic wads just fine. The moderator doesn't unscrew - I just use a bore-snake.

Plastic was is not advisable due to the petals on the wad opening up in the last 6" of the baffle chamber. I have one or two with plastic caught up in the baffles. It can be used but check barrle in between shots. It then becomes a pain in the bum, fibre wad is recommended

Yes the mod does unscrew hehe.

I love it when some says one thing and then the link to says the opposite. Lol. Oh I'm such a child.lol

I can confirm it does unscrew , u did it on mine and it wasn't as dirty as id expected !

• 3 weeks later...

I have got a couple of them, one a baikal single barrel and the other a mossberg 500 the best things to use are fibre wad eley or cork wad cheddite, the reason that they dont recommend plastic wads is becuse the plastic wads can catch on the baffles and they dont look pretty if that has happened, your choice but i would stick to what is advised

Plastic was is not advisable due to the petals on the wad opening up in the last 6" of the baffle chamber. I have one or two with plastic caught up in the baffles. It can be used but check barrle in between shots. It then becomes a pain in the bum, fibre wad is recommended

Yes the mod does unscrew hehe.

I love it when some says one thing and then the link to says the opposite. Lol. Oh I'm such a child.lol

That will teach me to read more carefully! :)

Archived