New Scope.

creakindoor

First outing with my new (second-hand) scope. It’s a Swarovski 8x50 purchased off NuttySpaniel.

I Went out at midnight and had a couple of hours around the shoot. Two foxes in the bag, a big cub head shot at 90yds

and a small scruffy adult dog shot at 150yds. I am very pleased with the scope. Even with a filtered lamp I could see clearly out to 200yds.

This scope replaces a Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR. The Leupold is good, but the Swarovski is a whole lot better.

Clear and sharp optics with a reticle that’s easily seen in low light but not so thick that it hides the target.

With The Leupold I was forever messing about with the magnification and parallax,

and moving my head to get the right eye relief instead of concentrating on the shot,

and the fine reticle which was great for long range daylight shots was sometimes difficult to find in low/lamp light.

All in all a good start for the new scope.

DSC01210.jpg

DSC01216.jpg

DSC01218.jpg

Good to see you are happy with your scope :lol: A good session too by the look of it too -well done :):D

All the best..

RAY....................... :D :D

Creakindoor,

Did you do anything special to get that photo through the scope with the reticule, or did you just put the camera up to the eyepiece?

thanks

Nothing special, camera to the eyepiece and click. Photo doesn`t capture just how bright and sharp the optics are.

I would not have posted it only the pheasant (150yds) wandered into view which then made it slightly more interesting.

Often a nice roe buck on that field shame he didn`t show up.

I liked the look of that scope especially for stalking but you had it before I saw the add. I use a Swaro PVS 6x24x50 in exactly the same way you are using yours with a 170 on top of it at night mine has the light plex reticule though.

With another member here I did proove the scopes superiority against another newish Luepold in low light but my little 3x9x36 Ziess beat both of them. Your thougths on it do not surprise me.

A

Just started to use a S&B Hungarian 8X56 that i purchased s/hand ( it was as new ) . Excellent scope for all round use especially at night. The reticule is very much like the Swaro shown on the post. Ive got it on my .223 and up to now have been well pleased.

Cheers

Eddie

Fantastic mate Im glad your getting better luck than I had with it! I thought it was a bag of crap!!! Cross hairs too thick, and with the zeroing problems I had when I 1st got it I hated it. Ive now got my Meopta thanks to yourself and I love it to bits. I hope you get many more good nights with it.

Both lightforce 170 lamps are covered with insulating tape to stop any light coming back at me

which seems to happen with the filter on, also to keep the beam to the absolute minimum that is

required to spot and then shoot a fox, I hate lighting up the entire countryside especially as most

of my lamping sessions take place after midnight. I sometimes use a red filter with a hole in the middle

to give me extra reach. I like to play about with things some work some don’t.

DSC00985-1.jpg

Both lightforce 170 lamps are covered with insulating tape to stop any light coming back at me

which seems to happen with the filter on, also to keep the beam to the absolute minimum that is

required to spot and then shoot a fox, I hate lighting up the entire countryside especially as most

of my lamping sessions take place after midnight. I sometimes use a red filter with a hole in the middle

to give me extra reach. I like to play about with things some work some don’t.

DSC00985-1.jpg

thank you for that i will give it a try regards ian :blink:

A belting wat start a new scope, I will start on the foxes again real soon so I hope to be so lucky, well done pard.

Two more last night. The heavens opened and when I got home they were like red dishclothes (back of pick-up)

so I didn`t bother to take any pics.

Thanks for all the comments everybody.

Hows the scope doing? Ive just found out tonight why it was crap for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1 of the mounts was fecked!!!!!! After replacing the scope I got a new set of mounts 1" and a friend needed a set of 30mm so of they went and low and behold the rear mount was knackered!!! No bloody wonder I couldnt hit a barn door with it!!!!!! But never the less I am over the moon with the meopta!

Guest 308Panther

Bad mounts will get ya every time....

My grandfather had or had for him, installed a scope on a Win 70 (now mine)

On the frt mount wich was of the,insert and twist to lock in variation....The person used

loc-tite....alot of it...So much so that when they tried to boresight and adj the coarse settings

it bent the main tube of the scope...It was so far off that even by maxing out the scopes own adjustment

it would still print 6 inches to the left on paper...

It was no wonder that he gave up on the Win 70...and bought a Browning BAR....in .308,of course

308Panther

Hows the scope doing? Ive just found out tonight why it was crap for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1 of the mounts was fecked!!!!!! After replacing the scope I got a new set of mounts 1" and a friend needed a set of 30mm so of they went and low and behold the rear mount was knackered!!! No bloody wonder I couldnt hit a barn door with it!!!!!! But never the less I am over the moon with the meopta!

Scopes doing just fine. Five cubs last night 150-175yds. :rolleyes:

Archived