Full Length Resizing vs Neck Resizing

Elliott

Gary - am I bringing the 6BR on Sunday????

GP how many 6mm's do you need if they all can shoot half moa at 1k, ive read an article on the 6mm dasher,a bloke called richard schats took the world record with his dasher, 6x5 shot groups aggregate of a tad over 6 inches with no neck turned brass and a rifke 6lbs below the lightgun weight limit, GP do you neck turn for your dasher or have you a no neckturn reamer, what about 284 shehane, whats your opinion of that calibre please.

I do neck-turn for my Dasher but my 6BR is a 'no-turn' neck. I did neck-turn for my 7mmWSM.

The problem with a Dasher is case-forming. Because of the hassle, I have a tendency to run my brass for too many reloads. With a no-turn neck, what you might lose on accuracy you may get back by running new brass more often.

Personally (except for 6PPC) I'm moving away from neck-turning.

What do I think of the 284 Shehane? Well, American benchrest shooter Bill Shehane 'improved' the 284Win case a few years ago for 1000 yard benchrest shooting. "Why did ya do that Bill - surely the gain in case-capacity is minimal?"

"Nothing to do with case-capacity" says Bill "Just did it(took out the taper)to improve extraction when running the gun." So there - that's from the man himself.

Now, when the F Class guys took up with the 284 (after finding 700 rounds per barrel a bit too short with the 7mmWSM - the 284Win will easily do double that) some found that the 284 load 'window' was quite narrow and a good load would stop shooting for some reason - maybe temperature, barrel condition etc.

The Shehane version seems to offer a little more 'stability'. Maybe the slightly extra powder capacity means you aren't running your loads on the 'edge'.

Some shooters get the 284 working well, others struggle. The Shehane is probably the best option if you are a serious F Class shooter.

Just as background to Vince's Shehane detail,the "straight" 284w was introduced in 1963 in the W88 l/a and 100s/a rifles.,in response to hunters who wanted close to 270 peformance in such actions. They nearly got it,but didn't buy them.The cartridge was the first rebated US cartridge,though Britain and Europe had used this design already. With the rim diameter of the 30-06 and body diameter of the belted magnums,there was increased case capacity for a short action,light hunting rifle.....it's essentially a 280 rem for hunting ballistic purposes.

However it was pretty close to obsolete- hunting rifles never sold at all well- but was kept going as a wildcat,then resurrected by long range targeteers-as the 6.5x284 for example,who found it's virtues pretty satisfactory for purpose-the straight 284 shooters still do.

Presumably it's shorter length was seen as an advantage over the 280 rem,though that has a decent following among hunters,despite a poor reception when introduced in the 740 semi/760 pump,and even 721/5 b/a. (the wildcat 7-06 is pretty much the same). It picked up,chambered in the R700 rifles around 1980,but by then the 270w was away over the hill and still running strong.....

...though most deer shot with any of these cartridges are not (FL,Neck,or factory).

gbal

Thanks for your reply GP, I am still looking for the holy grail best alrounder,am not in anyway disapointed in my 6.5,like you say you like playing with different calibres, a 7mm cartridge will give me a little more knock down power and a bc advantage on the range, maybe near a 9 inch advantage at 1000yds over my 6.5s conservative velocities, the 7mm twist could also let me use a ligher bullet for lamping or stalking, the barrel life is yood too, somehow mine still shoots superbly after 1600 firings even 5hough it showing sign of wear, early on in the barrel life I asked the audience on here on barrel life and it seemed 1000 was predicted, it may even double that yet so the if the 7mm could do even better, my 6.5 has done alot of cof's too

The custom die sets arnt cheap either, I use standard fl and seating dies, no neck tension bushing, no neck turning, ive no fuss reloading, I guess its as complicated as you make it, not sure mine are as accurate as yours but they will be pretty close, I think my rifles out shoot me and my set up, caldwell rear bag and harris bipod, would be good to see it in action in the br platforms and rear bag.ive got my money saved ready for the rebarrel now, wont be done til my 6.5 is dead though.am in no hurry.

Archived