Induction annealing - anyone seen this?

Mick Miller

Looks great, not sure if I'd want to be getting support from Poland if and when it went wrong though. Interestingly, whilst 'Googling' I also found this video on a more familiar technique - the comments below made for some thought provoking reading....

"Aaron Abbott

The only thing I see done 'Correctly' is the temp paint,Which doing one case at a time is required with each case.Open flame changes chemical property of the brass,Which probably doesn't matter with extremely small batch processing since they will fail from other improper handling.Electrical induction heating, with brass sitting in a heat sink, water or tight fitting dies, will keep thermal transfer creep from happening and softening the case walls so they don't separate.Induction heating won't introduce hydrocarbons into the brass, or burn away metallic components in the brass.Induction also controls heat uniformly through out the brass, not overheating the exterior."

Check out the "Annealing Made Perfect" approach and rationale (electromagnetic emmission control).

This machine can be set up for specific cartridges,and brand of brass (they differ metalurgically-perhaps one flame/current does not fit all!)

gbal

"Anealing Made Perfect" is the company-New Zealand from accents,just Google it.There is info and a demo video. I didn't see any independent validation of their point about brass differences,but it's the kind of detail some get excited about,and it may extend case life.....

Bargain! As every other man and his dog has been annealing by flame, without any obvious issues if sensible precautions are observed and adhered to, I think I'll do the same. At least until the price drops to a point whereby it actually becomes viable to use inductions without requiring that you shoot 2000 rounds every quarter.

I'm just getting all the parts together to make an induction coil annealing machine.
Watch this space

If I can make this
www.minimcqueen.com

I can surely make the annealing machine

I'm lucky enough to have access to a custom inductive system in the NZ Hunter workshop. It's based on an American commercial unit but the big difference is it's had a variable timer unit added by my now-deceased gunsmith who was originally an electrical fitter. The coil is mounted inverted above a reloading press ram so the brass is consistently positioned each time. The rather counter-intuitive thing is smaller brass takes a longer time to heat up that bigger cartridges, probably a proximity thing to the coil.

I ran all my 6x47L brass through it recently and it does a great job. Gas obviously works but mains power is easier..

I bought Second hand mini ductor from the states

http://www.amazon.com/Induction-Innovations-ICT-MD-700-Mini-Ductor-Magnetic/dp/B008XN9HO6/ref=pd_bxgy_263_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0HXGB9NH5PEJ4J29FKD5

Cost me $90!

Never got round to using it, not as simple to set up a case feeder for continuous use

There is a video on YouTube showing it in use

Simple

Archived