A new project started

Hi all

Not sure if anyone is interested,but here goes, i have started a new project for a chap who comes on this board, SAKO he is having a TIKKA 590 re barreled and restocked (well we have not decided yet on a stock) but what we have do is put a badger ordnance bolt knob on and fluted his bolt

here is a picture of before.

IMG_08571.jpg

now here are a few picks of after, and i think you will agree it has made a big difference to the looks of the rifle.

IMG_0893.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

IMG_0889.jpg

IMG_0887.jpg

IMG_0886.jpg

well i think it looks the dogs danglers.

we have ordered the barrel,

loather Walther

1x 6mm super match grade S/S barrel

1 in 8 twist

# 1400 standard sporter

O,D (1) 0.650"O,D (2) 0.835"O.D (3) 1.120"L1 3.0"L2 7.0" Length 660mm

this is going to be turned in to a 6mm hot (aka 6-6.5x47)

ATB

Colin :lol:

Hi Col

I concur the bolt looks fantastic, Badger knobs are sexy :lol: and the fluting, can that be done to a Remmy bolt ???

Good luck with the rest of the build.

Cheers Steve

hi Steve

i can see no problem with doing the remmy, there should be enough meat on the bolt.

ATB

Looks like an interesting build Col,so what style of stock do you reakon it will get dressed in???

if it was my build, i would be trying to find a way to get her in to this

adj_htg_lg.jpg

i don't think MC M do the inlet for this action in this stock. but it will be the next one i build for my self.(if i do one :lol: )but alas its not my call,

ATB

Hi Col I think the Guy who did the bolt just done my Tikka 6mmbr :lol:

I love the Tikka action , its good quality and doesnt slop around like a Remy , gona take mine up to have the bolt handle done the same when he comes back off holiday.

The only problem I am finding is the Stock , if someone overhere started producing a synthetic for them he would be onto a winner. :lol:

Nice looking bolt Colin, I especially like the contrast between the stainless steel and the black bolt knob. Any chances of doing helical/spiral fluting in the near future? I had my Sako bolt done and it looks the business.

I have read about the 6-6.5x47 in layman's terms what is it? 6.5 necked down to 6mm?

Hi Col I think the Guy who did the bolt just done my Tikka 6mmbr :lol:

I'm guessing that'll be more work done by dasherman (who did my 7x57, 20-250 and one of my 17's).

He's just bought ia 17 Fireball reamer and done a Sako A1 in that calibre for a mate of mine. Should be interesting.

I'd have a few of my bolts fluted if he was set up to do it spirally rather than straight.

I'm seriously thinking of selling one of my 243's to free up a slot to let him build me a 6BR next.

How is yours feeding from the magazine, nemasis243?

I must say it feeds like a dream, after taking Dashermans advice of using a 22/250 for the donar action,I would recommend it to anyone, a few people have asked the question about feeding this round but in mine there is no hastle at all. :P

What 243 is it ,if your thinking of the 6mmbr have you thought about using that action as the bolt face is the same?

I must say for years I have always loved the 243 and got alovely tikka558 with a border on it and it shoots very well indeed. But now I am starting to feel that this is going to be a rifle that isnt going to be used a great deal and am thinking of getting it rebarreled in another calibre. :P 6.5x47 maybe

Nice looking bolt Colin, I especially like the contrast between the stainless steel and the black bolt knob. Any chances of doing helical/spiral fluting in the near future? I had my Sako bolt done and it looks the business.

I have read about the 6-6.5x47 in layman's terms what is it? 6.5 necked down to 6mm?

Hi Elwood

yes - the 6-6.5x47 (6mm Hot) is the 6.5x47 necked down to 6mm it is all so the lapua not the (swiss match)that uses the large primer and large flash hole.

i am working on some one to do the helical/spiral fluting but I'm not sure if there is a large enough market for it.

ATB

Colin :P

Col

always interested in any new project.

The bolt knob is a lovely fit and the transition from silver to black is perfect (IMHO)

The flutes look good but helical fluting is more attractive to me anyway (although you would possibly need 4 axis CNC mill to achieve this.

Please keep us posted on the further developments with this one - very interested.

nemasis243,

the 243 I'd most likely sell is a Sako A2. I wouldn't re-barrel it as the barrel on it has only seen 40 or 50 bullets, so it'd be a waste. Can't bring myself to change my all-weather Tikka 595 243 as it's just hassle-free and my 'go-to' stalking rifle. I suppose that with 8 Sakos in the cupboard, I should have a thin-out, but I can't bring myself to!

Hi Col looked at the ballistics of the 6x47 ,impressive bit of kit,

Do you know of any aftermarket stocks for the tikkas?

hi

MC Milan do one for them and in my opinion there is no one out there to touch them, well worth the wait

ATB

Colin :P

Archived