Quick mounting of torch onto scope

simonl

I'm looking for some hardware to mount a torch on a scope so that I can scan with the torch, then attach to the scope to shoot.

Requirements are:-

1. Detachable. Minimal hardware left on scope so it still fits in cabinet / car seat etc.

2. Quick to attach, in the dark

3. Quiet to attach/detach

4. Capable of withstanding moderate recoil

30mm scope tube, 50mm objective

25mm torch tube, 70mm head

It'll never see daylight, so functionality sits a long way above cosmetics.

What's out there?

The nearest thing to your requirements I can come up with is yes two torches

Prices for gun mounted torches have fallen significantly since the arrival of the t series torches t20 & t67 I have both scan with thet67 shoot with the t20 you don't specify range you require but I have shot foxes out to 150 yards with the t20 eye shine further ,the traditional lightforce scope mounted lamp attaches fairly rapidly but your back to the Devils work cables batteries etc I also have a culite pistol type torch which I really like they can be had for around 50 quid for the t series torches see skany on the sight sponsors

The only one I haven't looked at lightforce predator ?

Lee

I've got oodles of torches. In fact I'll confess to having too many. (therapy over!)

It's more about finding a solution which makes the rifle less unwieldy. With a torch mounted permanently (or semi permanent) my rifle gets top heavy and sits awkwardly on the passenger seat/footwell. Invariably when I lift it out the torch has swung around to a new position. I could clamp it on tighter but them I'm not comfortable about the forces being applied to the scope.

post-11763-0-45477700-1447364217.jpg Currently use 2 of these

Considering the very finest China has to offer....

One of these post-11763-0-93854800-1447364337.jpg

with one of thesepost-11763-0-04191600-1447364365.jpg

But I'm not too confident about how many of my criteria this solution will meet.

Or buy another torch to scan with and leave one mounted on the rifle

This would be by far your best solution, by the time you've scanned a field, identified your quarry, mounted your torch, faffed about aligned it with the scope what ever it is your after will be long gone.

If your rifle is difficult to manouver with the torch sat on top have you tried side mounting it or use a vehicle mounted lamp?

Or buy another torch to scan with and leave one mounted on the rifle

This would be by far your best solution, by the time you've scanned a field, identified your quarry, mounted your torch, faffed about aligned it with the scope what ever it is your after will be long gone.

If your rifle is difficult to manouver with the torch sat on top have you tried side mounting it or use a vehicle mounted lamp?

you've reminded me - I forgot to add 'instant alignment' to my wish list! I also didn't mention that that I walk a couple of miles most nights with the rifle & don't like having the torch attached then either.

I've always got a second torch with me for scanning. Keeping a torch mounted on top the rifle just doesn't work, for me, hence the ask. I might try side mounting though - I see there are oodles of 45 deg Picatinny rails.

If you want instant alignment then the items in your last two pictures are all you'll need. I use a similar set up for my laser and its always aligned with the scope when i attach it.

As Andy says-i have this set up on my.17fb for walking.

I mount mine Under the fore stock on the Picatinny rail wit ha QD Scope mount its out of the way and doesn't shine on the barrel ;) Not in teh way either ( i hate Torches on top of the Scope messes with hte GofG and gets caught up on everything in the dark

( i hate Torches on top of the Scope messes with hte GofG and gets caught up on everything in the dark

I was feeling so alone until you said that!

Is your solution viable for wing mirror shooting?

I was feeling so alone until you said that!

Is your solution viable for wing mirror shooting?

Dunno i don't shoot wing Mirrors to crunchy ;)

Possibly depending if you can get the torch mounted fwds of where you rest on the mirror

all my rifles are to short for that and my Truck Mirror is to high as a rest any way

a top scope Picatinny rail would give an option for that situation then switch back when carrying about

Heres the NVD kit on the Airgun

wirelesssetA700.jpgwirelesssetb400.jpg

and the 17HMR

22827_10205292698255061_3342823977725765

I basically fir a picatinny rail to the fore stock of all my Rifles so can fit any of several Bipods or Lamps to any Rifle

Thanks for that.

I'm using an AICS, so your solution is very pertinent to me, and viable. any chance, sometime, of a photo of how you've mounted the front rail?

And what's the big black lump under the mod.

(And I did shoot out the wing mirror on my golf many years ago!)

I use these on all my rifles including a 300wm

recoil is not a problem

change the height of the ring to accomodate a T20-t67

radial adjustment and the heads on these can be rotated to square up the beam

cheap, work well

Considering the very finest China has to offer....

One of these attachicon.gifscope picatinny rail.JPG

But I'm not too confident about how many of my criteria this solution will meet.

Archived