Got this from Pacnor today

After a new tube for the 243 and have made a few enquiries with different suppliers. Pacnor is the first to reply. This is what they came back with.

A light Palma 28" in SS is $260.00 and shipping approx. $55.00. This blank barrel is classed as a length of Stainless Steel and has no paperwork issues. This item is on the shelf and would be dispatched straight away. Thanks for your interest, Penny

Apparently there is no export/inport issues with them and they can dispatch them straight away (if there on the shelf items). As stated they are classed as a length of stainless steel and there are no legislation attached to exporting steel.

Quite tempting as i love my pacnor i have at the moment.

Ads

It should be straight forward, I will let you know as I got confirmation yesterday that my Bartlein barrel blank has been shipped.

Only one problem he told me the barrel would/might come in under 4 1/2 pounds, shipping weight is 5.10 pounds, bang goes my medium weight stalking rifle!

Oh well will have to build another...

I know Krieger has changed their policy regarding shipping barrels overseas. Whether Pac Nor is disregarding State Dept rules, or whether they are within their right to send them as steel tubes, it is a good price for the UK market indeed.

JR

it seams a good deal and i think this probably wont last before the u s goverment clamps down on this

i am thinking about buying a new barrel for the 22-250 cutting it down to about 22" and getting it reamed out to ackly improved

also fancy getting a 6.5 barrel out with the option of 6.5 x 55 or 6.5 x 47 or 6.5 x 284 in the near future

i like the idea of the 6.5 for a stalking rifle and that would leave the 22-250 for lamping and bunny bashing

any views welcome

all the best bruxie

Bruxie,

Putting a 22" ackley improved barrel on a 22-250 is a complete waste of time. The std cartridge ideally neads at least 26" to work well....an ackley even more so.All you will do, is burn a lot of powder outside the barrel, and even if you switch to the fastest powder possible, all you will do is burn the throat out even faster.

Bruxie,

Putting a 22" ackley improved barrel on a 22-250 is a complete waste of time. The std cartridge ideally neads at least 26" to work well....an ackley even more so.All you will do, is burn a lot of powder outside the barrel, and even if you switch to the fastest powder possible, all you will do is burn the throat out even faster.

thanks for your input baldie

i can live with 26 " but dont wont it to long for lamping

will start a new thread so this one does not get lost

again many thanks bruxie

Bruxie,

baldie,

In theory yes but in real life no.

I have a 25" barrel on my 22-250 AI and i can easily achieve 4000fps with 52grn bullets.

Chris has a 1-8 twist 23 1/2" on his and he sends 69grn SMKs out at a sizzling 3500+fps, i have witnessed this rifle group 3 shots sub 1/4 moa at 730yds, Alycidon and Tikka cab vouch for that as well.

Ian.

I didn,t say it wouldn,t work Ian, or not be accurate, but i,ll put money on neither of them burning all the powder inside the tube, and if they are, i wouldn,t want the barrel life.

I cant understand people, and we get dozens in the shop, who must have the shortest gun possible.They harp on about length etc, and weight, then drop a schmidt, or nxs, with steel rings on the top, and moan about 5" of barrel.In the next breath they tell you its a long range target/varmint rifle, and will never be shot off anything other than a bipod. :D

Now the fella,s who come in ask for a truck gun for foxing i can understand.

Out of interest Ian, what powders are you and Chris using to get those kind of velocities? Have you had any "blow ups" with the 52 grainers at those speeds?

Having a reamer due in this calibre, i must admit, its starting to interest me a little. I think i would go the light bullet/slow twist route like yourself, having seen it works in a .204.

Dave,

I dont think the short barrel choice is a weight problem, more a compactibility issue with nearly everyone using mods now, if you have got a 26" barrel screw on a mod and you have, even with over barrel mods overall lengths of 30"-32".

I reckon you would really enjoy the 22-250 AI, alot of our mates round here have them, spectacular performence whether you are using light or heavy bullets.

Where Chris's cmbo excells is in longer range, recently shooting out 730yds mine was dropping into transition at that distance and accuracy was erratic but at 520yds 5 shots onto a 2"red dot were possible if i did my bit.

The biggest clang on the 730yd gong was Andy with that 6.5x47 you built for him once he got settled with the range some excellent shooting was performed.

Chris has been loading 69SMK's and 69 Nosler custom Match bullets infront of charges of Vit 160

I have recently switched to Vit 550 in order to get descent velocity without the associated pressures involved with slightly faster powder.

No blow ups for me buddy the 14 twist is perfect,. even had the 36grn Varmint grenades going at 4830fps over some heavy charges of Vit 135, was trying to get 5000fps for a laugh but a couple of popped primers put an end to that quest. :D

Ian.

I have a 25" barrel on my 22-250 AI and i can easily achieve 4000fps with 52grn bullets.

Chris has a 1-8 twist 23 1/2" on his and he sends 69grn SMKs out at a sizzling 3500+fps, i have witnessed this rifle group 3 shots sub 1/4 moa at 730yds, Alycidon and Tikka cab vouch for that as well.

Ian.

I was there, it was a remarkable bit of shooting. Mind you Tikka's 6.5 x47 put his 2 within an inch with a heavier match bullet maybe 3 inches from the other two, that put a real dent in the steel plate. I recon it would have gone through at 500 yards. Assembeld by Baldy from memory, nice one Dave.

I have had a couple of barrels over recently from Bartlein, they also have no paperwork issues at this time. Their prices are considerably more than those quoted by Pac-nor though, just over £200 plus UK taxes and carriage.

Interestingly one of my barrels was opened in customs but no problem, just had to pay the duty, vat and carriage as normal.

A

Accuracy was not particularly good at that velocity printing 5 shot groups around the 7/8"moa @ 100yds.

I have struggled to get some decent accuracy with these bullets but as of yet i cant improve on half an inch.

I still have 150 of them left so i shall experiment a bit more probably with Vit 140.

Ian.

Guest northernchris

Ian/Geoff

Yep that was a good afternoons play ;) Maybe have a re-run this sunday if anyone else is up for it????????????????????

Guest northernchris

Baldie

Its everyones own choice how they want their rifle to handle/shoot,its not the length of your weapon its the way you use it ;);)

Guest northernchris

Not sure mate ;) ,so is that something you hear alot then Dave??? ;)

I know what you mean about peeps wanting their gun as short a poss,sometimes they just get carryd away.

Not sure at present, certainly can't on Saturday, not quite sure about Sunday. Hollowell Steam festival as well, not to mention some motor race fairly close by !!. The firing point we used a few weeks ago is still covered in growing hay. My top range would only be 250 yards or so untill the hay is cut and even then they are talking of ploughing and re-seeding that field.

Might now be able to have an odd play during the week as well.

A

Archived