copper fouling in a new rifle

mtb

A mate asked me for advice on how to run a rifle barrel in as I was going out today anyway I told her to fetch the rifle round and we could do it together , before we set off I decided to put a patch through it to make sure it was free of any oil in the bore , a patch with kg 1 was put through and came out filthy with a lot of blue copper fouling a further 20 patches were used with kg 1 and kg 12 before the barrel was showing signs of coming clean ,so my question is should a supposedly brand new rifle have that much copper fouling in it any thoughts on this would be appreciated, the rifle is a t3 in 6.5x55

rgds mike

My take is be really careful and don't believe any of the broccoli on the web

Follow the guidance of the Manufacturers on here - I'm sure you will get some feedback

I put 75 rounds through a new 223 cleaning it every 1 then 5 then 30 rds - screwed it up and had to buy a new barrel - but then I did stuff a fishing rod tip down the barrel to clear an oversized patch !!

Lesson I learned - counter-intuitively (given that you send a plug of jacket lead down it at Mark 3) the barrel is a fussy mistress!

Good luck

A while back I used a supposedly gods bits bore cleaner and it always came out blue. Blu patch after blue patch for ever and ever. It turned out the the cleaner was reacting with the brass jag. Odd or what?

The barrel will have at least five shots by Tikka for their 5 shot sub MOA test, plus proofing shots. I'm sure they clean it before shipping to the dealer but I doubt they totally scrub out all the copper as it's a factory rifle not a custom build.

20 patches seems excessive but then I've recently discovered that KG isn't the best stuff available. It may have only taken a couple with Butch's or Sweets.

I use alloy jags on my rifles brillo so that you know if there's copper present I know what your saying regarding brass jags though that's the reason I changed I just thought it was odd that a new rifle would be so badly fouled

I didn't think the KG copper cleaner went blue from copper? Anyway, I hate the stuff; always left a really soapy residue that I had to wash out with brake cleaner. I use the Sinclair stuff and foams now and this seems to do the trick, I also found on factory barrels (Winchester and Remmington) that the barrels seem to get dirtier when new. With custom barrels they dont seem to be as difficult.

A mate asked me for advice on how to run a rifle barrel in as I was going out today anyway I told her to fetch the rifle round and we could do it together , before we set off I decided to put a patch through it to make sure it was free of any oil in the bore , a patch with kg 1 was put through and came out filthy with a lot of blue copper fouling a further 20 patches were used with kg 1 and kg 12 before the barrel was showing signs of coming clean ,so my question is should a supposedly brand new rifle have that much copper fouling in it any thoughts on this would be appreciated, the rifle is a t3 in 6.5x55

rgds mike

Always amazes me how much copper you can get from two proof rounds - but perfectly normal.

Archived