.22LR or .22WMR ??

I have a slot for a .22RF. I therefore have a choice and am erring towards .22LR for the reason:-

- Had the calibre previously - sold it to have a .17HMR. Sold that due to the acknowledged ammunition issues

- Cheap to run

- Easy to suppress and virtually silent

- Fits my need for 30 - 100 yard vermin and fox around stabled areas and a permission with foxes near an urban situation so discretion is paramount - as is safety.

Or a .22WMR which I no experience of.

Is there a good reason why I should consider the WMR ??

I have a slot for a .22RF. I therefore have a choice and am erring towards .22LR for the reason:-

- Had the calibre previously - sold it to have a .17HMR. Sold that due to the acknowledged ammunition issues

- Cheap to run

- Easy to suppress and virtually silent

- Fits my need for 30 - 100 yard vermin and fox around stabled areas and a permission with foxes near an urban situation so discretion is paramount - as is safety.

Or a .22WMR which I no experience of.

Is there a good reason why I should consider the WMR ??

I have .22LR (Sako Quad and Ruger 10/22) also a WMR barrel for the Sako - good fun at 100m metres, but ammo is just too expensive for the WMR (about £12.50 for 50). Honestly wish I hadn't bought the WMR barrel and put the cost to something else. However for your reason it would be fine.

David: the 22lr is a good choice-as you know .it will be just fine-not much else is better- for small pests and rabbit size out to 75y....yes,some say a lot more,even over 100y but that is pushing things into the 'sometimes miss' zone,which is not acceptable for live quarry (it really means 'sometimes don't kill'.

Your shooting is sub 100y,so OK: fox though might be a bit marginal at such distances-if that applies.

That would be the case for the 22WRM.Cost should not be a criterion when shooting live quarry,but I agree with Geek that you could consider at least the Sako Quad rifle.

It's as good a 22rf as you will likely get . It allows separate easy change barrels,in 22WRM,17HMR,and the lesser 17Mach 2. You can buy the barrels at any time,so it keeps some options open-you never know,17HMR might get some decent ammo in the future. The 22Mag has just more clout than 22rf-eg at 150 yards the 22RFM delivers around 120 ft lb,while the 22rf gives only around half that (in standard and sub sonic,and around 75 in Hi Vel....some slight variations with brands).150y drops will be around 15 inches with sub sonic lr,about 10 with Hi Vel,but only 5 inches with WRM (all based on 100y zero). The 17Mach 2 is just standard 22rf performance,the 17HMR is 100ft lb,3 inch drop at 150.)

There is a clear case for the WRM on 100y fox-it's still not ideal,but with the extra power comes a bit more noise,even suppressed. As above,£12.50 for 50 fox should not deter!

There is seldom a 'one cartridge/rifle does it all solution',and you are rightly aware of the local conditions-no one else can be exactly. It's likely that the majority of shots will be suitable for the 22rf,with only occasional short range fox? If so,an accurate 22rf is indicated-Sako is that,but allows you to extend to 22WRM or 17HMR if you must,without excessive costs-a barrel is cheaper than a rifle!

22rfs don't really wear out,so a good used rifle might help on budget,bringing the Sako in,as it's not the cheapest option (quality never is).Get a good moderator. Good shooting.

gbal

Totally different beasts

I have a quad with five barrels

The wmr was my go to urban fox rifle for a long time

Cheap to feed and never lost a fox

Don't expect untouched rabbit carcasses, it's still pretty punchy but get the right one and they are very accurate

Mine ragged holes at 100yds with 33gr remington accutip

.22lr is a silent weapon

No point trying to run them fast imo, the ammo is much worse in HV form

I shot a fox with it not three days ago though, silly thing came in to 45 yds

Accurate, silent, minimal da,age for butcher ready rabbits

Unless you will be shooting bigger quarry than rabbits stick to the lr

If you can cope with more noise and damage get the wmr

Hi David

I sold my HMR for similar reasons, and stuck with the LR. I fitted it Z5 bt, zeroed at 50, 75, 100 and 125 meters. It is spot on at these ranges, subject to the wind. I am not a target shooter, so dont work wind meters and the like, but the rifle is literally zeroed at these ranges and spot on shooting off the bipod. So much so a couple of pals have splashed out on z5 and z6 for their .22. I accept it is overkill price wise for the rifle, but suits our needs perfectly and years of chopping and changing scopes have wasted time and money, and this does exactly what we wont. I use it for rabbits, and use centre fire for foxes, and have no experience of shooting them with the .22, but if you know what range the LR will take them to, then a similar scope will hit the dot every time.

cheers

Dave

I have both, they each have their own merits and their place. The WMR is a great 100 yards tool and I've just got some new 30 gr CCI ammo to try in it. If I survive this bloody flu that is!

I wonder where you guys are getting your 22WMR ammo! We haven't seen anything but the odd few boxes in years -and then it seldom the 'premium' variety. When it does show up they want $20+ per box of fifty. I have seven 22WMRs and love the round. My CZ is especially accurate and tolerant of different ammo brands. Unfortunately, I don't shoot it much due to ammo shortages and cost. I can shoot my Hornet cheaper.

Too bad.~Andrew

I find ammo to be expensive for what it is , accuracy so so , and thats in good select guns/ammo , I moved to the Hornet & am happy with that choice , I tryed to make the 22mag work for me , But in the end , it just did not make sense to me .

Archived