Powder choice for the 223 heavies

sean223

Hi guys. What powder do you guys recommend for the 75gr amax or similar weight 223 bullets? Was also looking at the 80gr stuff but then I saw somewhere that a 1:8 dosnt stabilise the 80gr. Has any of you guys tried them and what way did it go. Cheers.

Hiya Sean,

I shoot the 80 grain Amax out of my .223 AI using N140, but my barrel is a 1:7 twist.

Might be worth just trying some 80's first before you buy a load ;)

Steve

I switched from N140 to RS52. With 80grain Sierra SMK's it's an excellent combination, and with a 30" 8 twist barrel, will reach out to 1000yds.

H/man

Cheers. I'll see if I can get some to try a few first. Have you loaded any 75amx with the n140?

No I didn't bother in the end Sean, the 80 Amax was so accurate in my rifle I didn't bother exploring, especially as the 80 Amax is a better long range bullet in terms of BC and long range capability.

Steve.

I use n140 in my 24 inch 1 in 8 twist .223 tried it with 75grain amax but I now use 77gr sierra tipped matchking 24.3 grains is getting me 2810fps with great accuracy.

Stephen

Mine is also 1:8. Did you try any of the 80gr amax in yours??

Was also looking at the 80gr stuff but then I saw somewhere that a 1:8 dosnt stabilise the 80gr.

Not so. Many of us shot 80s for years in 1-8" twist barrels, out to 1,000 yards even. The American Hi-Power Service Rifle people use these bullets in their 8 inch twist competition AR-15s for the 600 yard stage - have done so for 20 years and still do.

It's true that some of the longer newer models ideally need a slightly faster twist to get to the recently adopted optimum Sg (stability coefficient) value of 1.5, but they run at 1.35-1.4, the latter being the advised figure for years and years. The Berger 80.5gn Fullbore for instance is right on the 1.40 mark at 2,800 fps in an eight inch twist under standard ballistic conditions (59-deg F / 29.92 inches mercury air pressure). According to Berger you'll lose 3% of the BC value because of the marginally slow twist rate .... but that bullet will be stabilised and shoot good groups at all distances in this combination.

The older 80s, primarily the Sierra MK and Nosler CC are slightly shorter bullets and have the full 1.5 Sg in 8-inch twist barrels at 2,800 fps. Although not as high BC as some of the VLDs or the 80.5, it's still a lot better than the 77s in this respect.

So far as powder goes, 223/80 isn't a finicky combination the usual suspects being N140, Re15, VarGet. As VarGet works very well, Reload Swiss RS52 is almost guaranteed to as well. Many US SR shooters used N135 or H4895 too for years although they're just a tad fast burning. Ramshot TAC and Wild Boar also perform well and the recently introduced Hodgdon CFE 223 ball powder should too, likewise newly arrived here IMR-4166.

Not so. Many of us shot 80s for years in 1-8" twist barrels, out to 1,000 yards even. The American Hi-Power Service Rifle people use these bullets in their 8 inch twist competition AR-15s for the 600 yard stage - have done so for 20 years and still do.

It's true that some of the longer newer models ideally need a slightly faster twist to get to the recently adopted optimum Sg (stability coefficient) value of 1.5, but they run at 1.35-1.4, the latter being the advised figure for years and years. The Berger 80.5gn Fullbore for instance is right on the 1.40 mark at 2,800 fps in an eight inch twist under standard ballistic conditions (59-deg F / 29.92 inches mercury air pressure). According to Berger you'll lose 3% of the BC value because of the marginally slow twist rate .... but that bullet will be stabilised and shoot good groups at all distances in this combination.

The older 80s, primarily the Sierra MK and Nosler CC are slightly shorter bullets and have the full 1.5 Sg in 8-inch twist barrels at 2,800 fps. Although not as high BC as some of the VLDs or the 80.5, it's still a lot better than the 77s in this respect.

So far as powder goes, 223/80 isn't a finicky combination the usual suspects being N140, Re15, VarGet. As VarGet works very well, Reload Swiss RS52 is almost guaranteed to as well. Many US SR shooters used N135 or H4895 too for years although they're just a tad fast burning. Ramshot TAC and Wild Boar also perform well and the recently introduced Hodgdon CFE 223 ball powder should too, likewise newly arrived here IMR-4166.

Been phoning around and got some reloader 15 and can get 80gr amax so I'll give it a go and see how I get on. Cheers.

Archived