Cleaning routine

That PRS link is very good, every one has their own favorite chemicals, I know one guy who uses a mix of Plus Gas and a branded solvent in a mix, leaves it in all year and only swabs out when he wants to use it.

I clean after a minimum of 5 rounds, max about 40 I suppose. Always clean after a night out as a damp will get into the barrel. I use Butches Bore shine for light cleaning and getting the carbon out, TM Solution (from Sinclair) for routine cleaning and copper removal and Wipe Out if things are really bad.

I find TM better than Butch's.

A

try mpro 7 gun cleaner, this stuff is the best carbon mover I have used yet, the cooper remover is very good as well but the carbon cleaner is amazing. Also try a boretech cleaning rod, they are nearly twice the price of a dewey rod but are far better, the handle is light years ahead and there coated rods have a brass insert on the end so the coating doesnt get wore off at the very end which I found happens with dewey coated rods from removing jags and putting brushes on. Also get yourslelf a bore guide, there are a few different types out there all will do the job, stoney point, sinclair etc, I use mike lucus bore guides and find them very good.

As for regime its will depend on what works for you and your barrel, I usually start with a brush and some carbon remover, 4 strokes up and down and then 2 wet patches usually gets most carbon out for me, then a quick check with cooper remover on a patch, if there is a strong sign of cooper i.e a dark blue colour (not light blue as this is usually just a reaction from the jag and the cooper remover) I will work on it until that blue stops coming then back in with the carbon remover to see if there is any more under the cooper, this usually isnt the case for me as my latest barrel doesnt cooper at all really but my last one did. To finish up I just put about 3 dry patches down and then clean the chamber with a big patch wrapped around the jag, when I say big I mean maybe 4", put some solvent on it and give the chamber a good cleaning, followed by another big patch to dry the chamber. After that another oily patch down the bore and leave it to sit for 10 minutes and one patch to remove the bulk of the oil. Thats how I do mine anyhow.

The key to my cleaning regime is 'concentrate'.

I look at the gun, concentrate really hard, and tell it to be clean enough next time I use it. I then gently put it in the safe until the next time I use it.

thanks

rick

I have a friend with a .243, in over 20 years he can count the number of times he has cleaned the bore on the fingers of one hand. I have another keeper friend who is similar but not quite as bad but he lamps four or five nights a week every week.

A.

I have a Sako quad varmint in 17hmr, I use a bore snake to clean it when I am bunny shooting, I have found after about 30 rounds, the brass weight takes some teasing down the barrel due to build up. Has anyone else had this problem. I am using Remies at the moment and not sure if they foul the barrel more than others brands?

I have two friends that dont even know what a propper cleaning regime means. Both use gun oil on a mop twice down the bore. Good to go they thought. Yes they never missed deer or fox's. However they both want to reload, so i ordered them the kit and last week we made up some test rounds. They shot that which promotes growth and vigour, all of them. I asked when the last time they cleaned the barrel. Cant remember !!!! I took them into my mates house (on the farm) and we put a wet patch down the bore. You want to have seen the that which promotes growth and vigour that came out :P . 4 years of shite and gun oil. After that they were on there way to shooting nice groups. Just a bit of load development needed now.

Goes to show, not everyone knows they should be using a good copper/carbon fluid,brush & Jag etc etc.....

Ads

• 3 weeks later...
Guest James@Scarborough
I have two friends that dont even know what a propper cleaning regime means. Both use gun oil on a mop twice down the bore. Good to go they thought. Yes they never missed deer or fox's. However they both want to reload, so i ordered them the kit and last week we made up some test rounds. They shot that which promotes growth and vigour, all of them. I asked when the last time they cleaned the barrel. Cant remember !!!! I took them into my mates house (on the farm) and we put a wet patch down the bore. You want to have seen the that which promotes growth and vigour that came out ;) . 4 years of shite and gun oil. After that they were on there way to shooting nice groups. Just a bit of load development needed now.

Goes to show, not everyone knows they should be using a good copper/carbon fluid,brush & Jag etc etc.....

Ads

Is it not true then that high velocity bullets push the fouling into the inside surface of the barrel, causing lasting damage when a dirty gun is fired? :)

Is it not true then that high velocity bullets push the fouling into the inside surface of the barrel, causing lasting damage when a dirty gun is fired? ;)

I have been having a pm chat with silent over cleaning regimes and am sure he wont mind sharing his thoughts as he has been very detailed in our discussions

"I have tried loads of solvents over the years but for the last five years or so I have used tetra copper solvent as the only cleaner as its great, changes blue when in contact with copper so if your bore has copper in it,,it is clearly shown when you push the mop out

yes I did say mop, I try to use as little patches as poss and that means only using them to push out the tetra and washing the bore

I allways see people pushing that which promotes growth and vigour loads of patches down their bore in an effort to clean it and I see for my self whats going wrong and it comes back to the round jag in a not round bore (lands and grooves)

I use a good snug fitting wool mop as these hold solvent well and expand in the bore and aggitate the copper which is in the grooves without doing any harm

you could stroke that mop up and down the bore billions of times a day and not do any harm

my cleaning routine is to insert a bore guide, put mop on rod, soak with tetra, stroke up a down bore a dozen times,leave for ten mins then put spear tip on rod and push one tight patch down bore to remove tetra

look down bore with maglight mini set to point beam and look for copper streaks, if there is just repeat with some fresh tetra on the mop

once all streaks are gone so will all the burnt powders etc as these are first to be removed with tetra

remove the bore guide carefully keeping it central to action so not to smear solvent all over inside of action, now at this point I use a pistol cleaning rod with a parker hale jag with cut pieces of bounty tissue on it to wipe out the chamber and clean out the tetra that will have been spilt and also clean out the bore guide

you can use you cleaning rod if you dont have a pistol rod but be sure to hide the tip of the jag with tissue ie extend the tissue out before wrapping and this will prevent the jag itself from rubbing any where in the chamber or bore ( not that it would do any harm anyhows as it brass and far far softer than the steel of the bbl

repeat this chamber wipe with a patch of tissue soaked in 009 (the pear drop smelling one as mentioned before) this will wash out any more remaining tetra from the chamber , replace bore guide in wet chamber and now use a cotton patch soaked in 009 and push straight down bore followed by one dry

at this point I have mops saved in a jar specially for 009 (I also keep a jar with washed mops that have been used for tetra and they normally stain yellow) I soak a mop with 009 and give the bore a good wash out with the soaked 009 mop

remove rod, bore guide and dry both the inside of chamber, the rod and bore guide, insert guide and push down dry cotton patches to dry bore, although bore is dry the 009 has left a rust preventing film in bore and the bore will not need oil down it"

JA

Chester

Have to aggree with Craig regarding M-Pro7 products, I like emand have used them for 12 months or so.

However, just to place kitty amongst pigeons, please read the post in the link below:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthread...true#Post660103

The posters are very well respected members of that forum and know the front from the back of a rifle too :)

in my opinion and they will tell you that I say so but I think most of my mates way over clean their rifles

if chester would be so kind (as I no longer have the rest of the pm's) but I explained to him in earlier pm's about over cleaning and the amount of cleaning I do is far less these days than anyone else I know (except a friend in s.a who only has his tack driver musgrave 308 once a year (by me)

chester if you have access to the other pm's it would be great if you could post em

my 308 and 223 dont copper up so a bore snake using a bore guide normally remove most of the carbon/burnt powders

ronin the link is great and eye opening that others are finding the same as me

Ronin there are a lot of guys that need to read your link right from the begining and there are some shooting gods in there zak smith just look at his sticks and what he does, a10xrifle happens to be george gardner of GAP rifles (GA PRECISION) and many other gods

holy moly Gaymondo :) (and others)would have a fit but these guys far outshoot us in experience and ability (sorry ray) :)

no doubt he will call me a fat fe*ker for that

I have to admit I am starting to agree with the less cleaning point of view, for ages I was cleaning my barrels every time I took them out, no matter if it was 1 shot or 50 but latley I have been forcing myslef to leave it dirty at least until 30-40 rounds or if the rifle gets soaked. I am not notcing any difference in accuracy just the other day my cooper after about 3 weeks of use uncleaned turned out 2 groups under half inch at 200 yards, I have also started to wonder about running in, I picked up a brand new rem700 22-250 last week cleaned the barrel and took it straight out to the range and after 60 rounds uncleaned it was shooting half inch at 100 yards with factory sako ammo, it did take a while longer to clean when I got home but it beats cleaning evertime I use it, I really am starting to think I have been over cleaning all along, have to admit too its nice just to come home after a long night, wipe the gun down and put it in the cabinet forgotten about until I need it again.

I have to admit I am starting to agree with the less cleaning point of view, for ages I was cleaning my barrels every time I took them out, no matter if it was 1 shot or 50 but latley I have been forcing myslef to leave it dirty at least until 30-40 rounds or if the rifle gets soaked. I am not notcing any difference in accuracy just the other day my cooper after about 3 weeks of use uncleaned turned out 2 groups under half inch at 200 yards, I have also started to wonder about running in, I picked up a brand new rem700 22-250 last week cleaned the barrel and took it straight out to the range and after 60 rounds uncleaned it was shooting half inch at 100 yards with factory sako ammo, it did take a while longer to clean when I got home but it beats cleaning evertime I use it, I really am starting to think I have been over cleaning all along, have to admit too its nice just to come home after a long night, wipe the gun down and put it in the cabinet forgotten about until I need it again.

Welcome to reality. I clean my .222, .223 and Hornet seldom. I use my Hornet daily. I run a Bore Snake through it if I see dust in the barrel. Otherwise I just keep the chamber, bolt, and action clean and leave the barrel alone. It will shoot about half inch on demand. ~Andrew

Silent

precisely why I posted the link, Zak Smith, George Gardner, Frank Outlaw, etc are indeed experienced far beyond us on this side the pond.

I think in the posts someone says that more damage is done by overcleaning than by not cleaning - wise words indeed.

yeh and the amount of times I have tried telling people that over cleaning is bad and causes wear

theres an old chap at my club that has obviously seen the wanna be bench guys and clean all the time so what does he do????? shoots five rounds then cleans his gun, shoots five then cleans and thats all he does the whole day

I often catch him looking my way as I shoot bug holes from my allready dirty girls then put them away without cleaning while he struggles with his groups

the poor chap doesnt even clean them right but wants to look cool, I never see him clean the chamber out after pushing wet patch after wet patch through

I have ruined guns before because of too much cleaning

I have shot approx 400 ish through my 7.62/308 before noticing it dont shoot 1/4" at 100 and several hundred in the 223 before the same

it was about a month or more ago that they last got cleaned and I can trust them 100% to take out and give a cold bore dead centre hole on a half inch dot

I think alot of guys dont know what they are missing and get too hung up on cleaning, I think in general it can be very easy to get carried away with it all. There is so much info out there you just dont knwo what to believe. I used to spend hours weighing charges on the scales, I was spending more time reloading than I was out shooting, bought myslef a harrel measure, it throws my favorites powders at worst 0.2g variance, for my needs thats spot on, used to spend ages waiting on ultrasonic cleaners to finish cycles on brass and tumblers finishing, now they both collect dust, I just wipe the case neck with a crazy cloth and load em again, stopped trimming cases so much as well, since november I have loaded and shot over 1000 rounds for my tac20 alone, groups have improved dramatically at longer ranges not from better loading (if anything my loading has got pooer and less invloved)but from more time behind the trigger learning how to shoot a gun right, I dont rely on a front rest anymore to test ammo, I can do that just fine with a bipod and a hard hold. I must say too I have noticed that my rifles seem to shoot there best groups after about 20-30 shots, a clean barrel is no use anymore. In taking this point of view on things I have been enjoying it all alot more, I have spent far more time hunting and made my longest kills, its been a real eye opener.

Archived