Ladder Test

blaser308

Recently carried out a Ladder test at 600y starting from 44.7g up to 47.3g in .3g Increments i noticed shots 1 2 and 3 formed a round robin effect group of 1.25 inches also noticed the same with shots 4 5 & 6 this group printed 3 inches higher than 1st group also noticed same effect abet with larger round robin group 2 inches with shots 9 10 and 11 8 inches higher from 2nd group However shot 11 was quarter inch lower than shot 9? does this signify anything maybe end of node or possible start with new node.

Recently carried out a Ladder test at 600y starting from 44.7g up to 47.3g in .3g Increments i noticed shots 1 2 and 3 formed a round robin effect group of 1.25 inches also noticed the same with shots 4 5 & 6 this group printed 3 inches higher than 1st group also noticed same effect abet with larger round robin group 2 inches with shots 9 10 and 11 8 inches higher from 2nd group However shot 11 was quarter inch lower than shot 9? does this signify anything maybe end of node or possible start with new node.

At the distance you're shooting (600yds) , are you 100% that you're seeing the distinct groups that you believe? Such tiny groups, with such a tiny gap between them (around 1.5" between group edges in what you describe), have you considered whether you're reading a result into what's actually normal random group dispersion.

I'd (unseen) hazard a guess that most of your shots 1 to 6 are actually one cluster.

Did you run the test more than once (ie was it repeatable?) Do you have a picture of the groups?

("Shot 11 quarter inch lower than shot 9" - take a step back and consider the group size you might expect at 600yds with a perfect load. Is quarter inch meaningful - or a glimpse into the realities of normal group dispersion)

I'm inclien to agree with either/both TGP and BD-or maybe I don't understand quite what you did.Perhaps you can confirm-but 1 shot per powder load isn't really going to tell much at any distance,let alone 600y with shot dispersal factors.But let's be clearer about procedure first:

From 44.7 to 47.3 in .3 g increments is 10 powder loads (actually to 47.4,but accept).A 'round robin' would mean usually firing one loading from each of these ten,then repeating again,and again -so that each load would have three shots fired (three generally taken as minimum for any plausible interpretation,to be then verified by at least some 5 shot groups later).

The order is maintained-thus fire one 44.7 ,then one 50.0,then so on til last round at 47.3.Then repeat,in the same order,twice. This minimises any fatigue ,barrel heating etc differnces. 3x10 sots fired ie 30 total.

But you report only 11 shots (eleven-with ten powder weights?),and shots 7 and 8 are not mentioned??

Something a bit odd there?

You would have to plot these shot impacts carefully as they are fired.It would not be unexpected to see vertical climbing with substantial powder increases,though clearly BD's comment that shot 11 was described as 1/4 lower than shots 9&10 in the "high group" is spurious-

unless TGP has indeed called it-this is a most remarkable rifle!

It's more suggestive of some misunderstanding of shot dispersal at distance,perhaps-confounded by the very small number of shots (one per powder load!) at least as I read your account.

What you could do-having confirmed what you did-is shoot a couple of 5 shot groups with say a 46g load,and see just what dispersal you get (group size) for each of the two 5 shot groups-that would be a ten shot test of that powder load,and we would have some rather more useful information to base any interpretation on. Good luck/shooting-I think we can't confidently conclude much as yet.

gbal

Picture of 600y Ladder test seeking possible accuracy nodes for Long range shooting, Note shot 2B which was Varget accuracy Load thinking i should have tried 10 shot group loaded with shot 9 or 10 which seems to be running at same velocity, Interestingly i loaded string with shot 5 charge however verticals were tad disappointing at 1000y

any reason for shot 11 to be below both shot 10 and 9.

post-12915-0-15075500-1441135544_thumb.jpg

Archived