Lightweight Bullets and .243.............

English

If seen some 60gn .243 bullets at an RFD for .243.

Does anyone have any experience of loading such a light bullet for this round or do you have a pet load for 60gn bullets?

If so, what powder and primer do you use?

Thanks,

English

I have and still use the speer 75gr hollow point ( not the TNT one), it is extremely accurate in the 243 and reaches out a long way at over 3400 fps. I use the Hodgdon load which is 48grs H4831sc with a cci Benchrest primer and well back off the lands( .040") in my rifle. Crows and foxes definitely dont like it and I have had some very good results to over 300yds.

Redfox

LOL! Yeah, what Andrew said, too!

Seriuosly, I had really good accuracy from Win760 (not sure if you guys have that across the pond) with Sierra 60gr HP. Performance wise though, they would not expand on a coyote @75yds. Three rounds, three pencil holes. A .22LR pistol shot to the head ended its pitiful suffering. ;) (Man, I hate the sound of air whistling through shot up, fluid filled lungs! Grrrr!) Outstanding accuracy, but poor terminal performance. Never did shoot anything with the 58gr Silver Tips, but have heard good things...

Gentlemen, thanks for the encouragement, however sadly no, not a new toy! A relatively well used one (CZ 601)?

MPMI, you perhaps wont be familiar with our quirky laws but basically I have pretty much always shot 100gn JSP through my .243 against Deer and Fox, however accuracy, whilst enought to do the job has not been anything to write home about!

I have had better results with 80gns but to be honest the laws in Scotland make 100gn a requirement so thats mainly what I have used (only using a few 80gn in England).

I had never encountered any 60gn in .243 but recently some people have been posting about very high velocities and lazer flat trajectories so having seen some for the first time, I thought I would try a couple of boxes.

Hope all is well your side of the Pond.

Unfortunately Dad has just undergone major surgery for Cancer so I dont think I will be over again this year! ;)

Check your emails.......

English,

Got the e-mail (Bummer). :lol: There's a .40 S&W getting lonely in my safe... :lol:

I can't remeber, but a 100gr bullet seems to me to be on the hairy edge of stabilization for the 243 (depending on length). I would not expect stellar accuracy with the heavier, lawn dart type bullets...

IIRC, the most accurate weight for me as well (aside from the 60gr'ers) were the Barnes 85gr X bullets (solids)....which I think is what the 243 was designed for...???

Archived