BUSHNELL...(Sweet & Sour) Chinese Scopes ?

coolforgot

I rest my case!

I rest my rant ! Regards, Mike

Well if Chinese optics are as good as you say, why dont Bushnell proudly tell their customers about it on their advertising ? and why dont they put their name or logo on the Made in China scopes ?

Probably because most sensible people don't give a stuff as to where the scopes are produced, as long as they are good scopes.

I've had Jap scopes that aren't great. I've got Chinese ones that are excellent. I don't remember seeing Bushnell ever saying that they only sell scopes made in Japan. I do know that Gary and Sammie Cooper built a great business on well designed, Chinese manufactured scopes.

I really don't know why you've got your knickers knotted over this.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably because most sensible people don't give a stuff as to where the scopes are produced, as long as they are good scopes.

I've had Jap scopes that aren't great. I've got Chinese ones that are excellent. I don't remember seeing Bushnell ever saying that they only sell scopes made in Japan. I do know that Gary and Sammie Cooper built a great business on well designed, Chinese manufactured scopes.

I really don't know why you've got your knickers knotted over this.

"I do know that Gary and Sammie Cooper built a great business on well designed, Chinese manufactured scopes" WHY ,becase they TELL you first, just my point.

If you dont "really know why I've got my knickers knotted over this" and you really dont care where things come from as long as they're good ?

your logic means that if you had a "sweet & sour" chicken & rice from your local chinese take away, you would'nt care if it was actually CAT as long as it tasted good ? Bon appetit !! lol

"

Cool-if only!- I thought the case rested,but a couple of points: Mark's question is a good one: did you actually give the scope a fair trial.

Secondly,your attempted analogy with the menu is false- not because the food would not be made in China-despite being labelled(?) chinese,but because if it said 'chicken' and was 'cat' it's a trade description offence.If it says chicken,you have to get chicken (taste etc are actually irrelevant to legality.)If it had just said 'meat' then it could be some/any animal -even made in China!

If a product makes no claim about origin,it's not an offence per se (caveat emptor-buyer beware-is a phrase used-but unbranded does not equal poor value etc (price is some guide too)-the real question is; was the scope of acceptable quality for the price?

Well,considered coolly,was it?

Then,by all means ,let this RIP,rather than rant-most would see your point,but the onus is really on you to know what you are buying-it might beOK-'Bushnell' is just an increased probability that the product is not substandard at the price level.Helpful to make others aware,though.As would be an assessment of it's realistic price/quality.

Hope it isn't a big disappointment.

gbal

Bottom line: in the scope/optics business there no such thing as a free meal or a great bargain...you get what you pay for. The scope was a Bushnell, but was cheap, hence, there must have been a catch somewhere (and there was...). Marketing at its best ;)

But, then again as gbal points out, we still don't know how the scope performs. It may yet prove all this conversation redundant and make all of us eat our words...

Best of luck

Finman

Cool-if only!- I thought the case rested,but a couple of points: Mark's question is a good one: did you actually give the scope a fair trial.

Secondly,your attempted analogy with the menu is false- not because the food would not be made in China-despite being labelled(?) chinese,but because if it said 'chicken' and was 'cat' it's a trade description offence.If it says chicken,you have to get chicken (taste etc are actually irrelevant to legality.)If it had just said 'meat' then it could be some/any animal -even made in China!

If a product makes no claim about origin,it's not an offence per se (caveat emptor-buyer beware-is a phrase used-but unbranded does not equal poor value etc (price is some guide too)-the real question is; was the scope of acceptable quality for the price?

Well,considered coolly,was it?

Then,by all means ,let this RIP,rather than rant-most would see your point,but the onus is really on you to know what you are buying-it might beOK-'Bushnell' is just an increased probability that the product is not substandard at the price level.Helpful to make others aware,though.As would be an assessment of it's realistic price/quality.

Hope it isn't a big disappointment.

gbal

It is just a matter of transparency here, we go to the Big names,because we trust their reputation, and I dont want to have to be a detective to find the important facts of a product, it should be clear, made in China made in Japan (important) I can choose to buy or not.

I do care where scopes are made,whether they (initially) work well or not, I would not expect a Chinese lens to out perform a Japanese lens over time.

I have a Rolex watch (not chinese made) and I would certainly rather have it,than a Chinese 'Rolex' which may look the same and keep good time !

All I've learnt from this purchase is Trust NO ONE big name or not, they may ALL be out to dupe you ,reputation means nothing and search between the lines/small print,to find the facts you need before deciding to buy.

it is too 'early' to tell you if the scope works well,does it's Chinese job etc, only time will tell, but instead of feeling confident, I now can only hope to be 'lucky'

OK,I think you have made your point (again!).I imagine the Rolex cost a bit more than an explicit copy,but I can see you would have no yen to own such.

Let's hope the scope gives decent value for money-that is a key point too-and if you are tempted by a Ming Dynasty vase,under £3 million,beware-it's probably a copy,probably not chinese,even if it says it is. :-)

gbal

It is just a matter of transparency here, we go to the Big names,because we trust their reputation, and I dont want to have to be a detective to find the important facts of a product, it should be clear, made in China made in Japan (important) I can choose to buy or not.

I do care where scopes are made,whether they (initially) work well or not, I would not expect a Chinese lens to out perform a Japanese lens over time.

I have a Rolex watch (not chinese made) and I would certainly rather have it,than a Chinese 'Rolex' which may look the same and keep good time !

All I've learnt from this purchase is Trust NO ONE big name or not, they may ALL be out to dupe you ,reputation means nothing and search between the lines/small print,to find the facts you need before deciding to buy.

it is too 'early' to tell you if the scope works well,does it's Chinese job etc, only time will tell, but instead of feeling confident, I now can only hope to be 'lucky'

Blimey....

Archived