ELECTRONIC EARS

Looking for a new pair of electronic hearing defenders. As my son has now reached the age where he's coming along too, he will be getting the existing Peltors.

I've heard about a company called Sordin, and wondered if any on here had any experiences with them, or would value your advice/pro's & con's of what ever you guys use.

Cheers Steve

Rather depends on what you want to spend, I have an original pair of peltor earmuffs which are industrial quality and now coming up 20yrs old, they remove all noise whether from shotgun or rifle and are completely safe, cost now about £25.00 or thereabouts, only drawback it is very difficult to have a conversation. I have two different makes of electronic ear muffs and they work, but not as well as the Peltors, but you can talk ok. I also have a pair of in the ear electronic hearing aids, these are great for stalking as you can still hear everything and they reduce the rifle shot to a low ish level, but apparently they are now nearly £1200, but are professionally fitted and tuned to your hearing. I have had mine about 8 yrs and like them ( they were £500 then) but you couldnt shoot rifle on say a range day with them, they dont cut it down enough.

I would go for one of the better set of muffs with stereo electronics in them, between £100 and £140 or so and make sure they have decent padding in them to really soak up the noise.

You are doing right giving the lad the Peltors his hearing is much easier damaged and he has a long time to regret it.

Redfox

I got a pair of comtacs a month ago. [police issued] should have bought them years ago, they are superb, around £235.

I'll second both the comtacs and the sportacs (which I think are the same, just the colour is different??). I have a pair of comtacs, and they are fantastic. Hear everything apart from the shot. Given the reports we had from fellow shooters with regard to tinnitus and deafness after years of shooting, I cannot put a price on what hearing i have left and the comtacs were cheap for my piece of mind.

best wishes

Finman

...I have two different makes of electronic ear muffs and they work, but not as well as the Peltors, but you can talk ok. I also have a pair of in the ear electronic hearing aids, these are great for stalking as you can still hear everything and they reduce the rifle shot to a low ish level, but apparently they are now nearly £1200, but are professionally fitted and tuned to your hearing. I have had mine about 8 yrs and like them ( they were £500 then) but you couldnt shoot rifle on say a range day with them, they dont cut it down enough.

I would go for one of the better set of muffs with stereo electronics in them, between £100 and £140 or so and make sure they have decent padding in them to really soak up the noise.

Redfox

The relatively cheap Peltors 6S electronic muffs def reduce the noise to a safe level and sound quality is quite OK. Minor issues: batteries are a pain to change and you have to be careful they are turned off, else they'll murder the batteries...

As for your electronic plugs, there are two possible reasons why you feel they are inadequate for extended sessions. They've either got a poor passive seal (ie, not fitting accurately enough due to the ear impression/manufacturing or just loosened over time) &/or the electronics aren't adequately pulling the peaks down.

As for the cost of custom in-the-ear devices, come to New Zealand and I'll make you some -top grade- ones for roughly 250 quid :)

Chris, NZ

Cheers guys for all the replies,

Redfox, I also bought a custom fitted pair from a company called Ultimate Ear, never again from them, one lasted literally just over a year, so hence was out of warrenty to which I thought no probelm I'll get it repaired. They wanted all but the same as the original price, just to repair one !! so you can guess my respondse :rolleyes:

Baldie/Finman, where did you get the Comtac's from ?

Spot on about not being able to put a price on your hearing.

Cheers Steve

My in ear ones are Starkey Nu-ear, Starkey are one of the worlds best makers and the chap who fitted them was the chief audioligist for two of the country's top hospitals. They work very well even now and they can be re-tuned to my hearing as it is now for about £40. The maker still fully support them too even after 8 yrs.

He did tell me that as long as the bone/skin round the ear, particularly just behind the ear is exposed you will not get as good a reduction as a muff which covers that area, as shot noise has a stong pressure wave and resonates through the skull.

If I am shooting targets or clays I just put the muffs over the top and everything is perfect, if I'm varminting or stalking the in ear ones are plenty.

Appreciate the offer Chris, only snag is the air fare out there :rolleyes: have to try to combine it with a shooting holiday as well ( you know "its costing me next to nothing with the hearing device savings dear" ) :blink:;);)

Redfox

Archived