Howa 1500 - scope mount

Is there a better way of mounting a scope onto a Howa 1500 which does away with the Picatinny rail thus:-

- providing a more direct mount - by removing a component - thus providing greater strength and risk of becoming loose / flex

- reduces the distance between the scope centre and bore

I've tangled with scope mounts for over 40 years and at the minute I find it hard to go past a Picatinny rail. However there are other options including -

http://www.dnzproducts.com/product/freedom-reaper/

At present I'm majoring on Picatinny rails with Burris Signature Offset rings for my rifles. Don't forget about bolt clearance versus the eyepiece of the scope.

Regards

JCS

Is there a better way of mounting a scope onto a Howa 1500 which does away with the Picatinny rail thus:-

- providing a more direct mount - by removing a component - thus providing greater strength and risk of becoming loose / flex

I think the Pic rail is one of the best things to happen to shooting - before, it was a nightmare with dozens of different combinations of rails, rings and mounts.

With actions like the Howa and Rem 700 with the massive ejection port and cut-out for the mag. I always reckon a well installed (glued on) Pic rail just might stiffen up the action a little.

One thing to. Check on the howa is how straight in line with the bore the picattiny rail will mount. My friend had a heavy varmint one which he mounted a picattiny rail to. When we tried zeroing the rifle he could only wind the scope out to about 300 yards and only wind 8 clicks to the right for the wind age. I had to calculate how much to pack the rail up to leave the scope as close to the bottom of the turns as possible thus leaving as much elevation as possible. Also remove the picatinny and milled out the back hole so that it could be set in the middle of the wind age at 100 yards. A faffing about match which took about a day to sort out. Very disorienting in a brand new rifle. The only saving grace was the rifle shot very well indeed.

Archived