Ranges in Northern England

Is there anywhere in the North, or indeed in the UK, where you can just pitch up, show your FAC and then shoot? I don't want to join a club but I'm keen to do a bit more load development than I'm getting shooting paper targets in a field. I also want to work on longer ranges.

I've been to Minsterley ranges a few times, just rocked up and shot. That was a few years ago not sure if any things changed. I'll keep an eye on this thread as I'm looking out for the same thing.

It's a shame Diggle can't offer this!

The clubs I belong to allow guests or visitors to shoot a handful of times for a fee, but then you have to join, after all there're run for the benefit of members not casual visitors. I think there is a tunnel range near Ilkley or Burley in Wharfedale, run for profit that may suit you better, where I assume you rock up, pay the fee and shoot, but I'm sure it's only 100 yards. I also heard about a similar range in Lancashire/Merseyside but can't remember the location or facilities. Maybe someone else on the forum could pitch in.

Richard.

The clubs I belong to allow guests or visitors to shoot a handful of times for a fee, but then you have to join, after all there're run for the benefit of members not casual visitors. I think there is a tunnel range near Ilkley or Burley in Wharfedale, run for profit that may suit you better, where I assume you rock up, pay the fee and shoot, but I'm sure it's only 100 yards. I also heard about a similar range in Lancashire/Merseyside but can't remember the location or facilities. Maybe someone else on the forum could pitch in.

Richard.

Stead Hall RPC is the tunnel range near Burley in Wharfedale - as Richard says it is 100m and I think you can shoot as a guest (though contact John in advance to check).

Diggle ranges near Oldham. Check out their website and the shooting calendar. Turn up with your FAC pay £15 I think for a visitors pass and shoot. As a courtesy you can contact Gunpimp on this site who runs most of the competitions at Diggle. You can shoot between 100yds up to 1000yds depending on the competition. You cannot just turn up and shoot at any range on your own obviously.

Diggle ranges near Oldham. Check out their website and the shooting calendar. Turn up with your FAC pay £15 I think for a visitors pass and shoot. As a courtesy you can contact Gunpimp on this site who runs most of the competitions at Diggle. You can shoot between 100yds up to 1000yds depending on the competition. You cannot just turn up and shoot at any range on your own obviously.

Unless things have changed at Minsterley in the 3 or 4 years you can shoot on your own, I've been there on more than one occasion shooting on the 100 yard range by myself.

Archived