20 Vartarg

Evening folks,

I am pondering about selling my 17HMR, and putting for a variation for a 20 Vartarg. Main purpose would be vermin control, more corvid/rabbit than fox, and to have some very light target fun out to about 300m.

Just wondering if anyone has experience of the calibre, or is it just one of those fashion calibres?

Kind regards,

MB

Hi MB,

What attracts you to the Vartarg matey, have you considered the .204, just has a more legs and you can also buy factory ammo should you wish, you would probably be able to sell it easier in the future though if you decided to get shut.

Failing that, the Vartarg will be a nice little cartridge out to 300 + yards in any case. ;)

Just thought id through that in there buddy.

Steve

Hi MB,

What attracts you to the Vartarg matey, have you considered the .204, just has a more legs and you can also buy factory ammo should you wish, you would probably be able to sell it easier in the future though if you decided to get shut.

Failing that, the Vartarg will be a nice little cartridge out to 300 + yards in any case. ;)

Just thought id through that in there buddy.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I hear what you are saying, just looking for a more direct substitute, and the Vartarg seems to fit the bill.

As to re-sale not really that bothered as I tend to pick and build carefully, which means I keep rifles.

Regards,

MB

Hi Steve,

I hear what you are saying, just looking for a more direct substitute, and the Vartarg seems to fit the bill.

As to re-sale not really that bothered as I tend to pick and build carefully, which means I keep rifles.

Regards,

MB

Good stuff fella. ;)

Hi MB,

Steve Kershaw has a Vartarg and absolutely loves it. He shoots phenomenally well with it. I think he loads around 17grns of powder and gets good velocities out of it........IMO an excellent cartridge for what you want.

I'm sure if you gave him a ring he'd talk you through it......really good guy and easy to chat with.

Regards, Rob.

Evening folks,

I am pondering about selling my 17HMR, and putting for a variation for a 20 Vartarg. Main purpose would be vermin control, more corvid/rabbit than fox, and to have some very light target fun out to about 300m.

Just wondering if anyone has experience of the calibre, or is it just one of those fashion calibres?

Kind regards,

MB

Todd Kindler really does paint a great picture with these cartridges and all the 20's in general. Most of us though seem to struggle to get the velocities he quotes, his performance figures quoted in his Terrific Twenties book are all based on the factory published BC's. For example the 40gr Vmax is quoted by Hornady as .275 when in reality it more like .240-.250 along with SBK's, Bergers and Noslers, as such I think his estimates on performance are optimistic to say the least.

I own a 20TAC and a 20BR, can I ask exactly what it is that is swaying you to 20 Vartarg over the other different .20 chamberings?

are all based on the factory published BC's. For example the 40gr Vmax is quoted by Hornady as .275 when in reality it more like .240-.250 along with SBK's, Bergers and Noslers, as such I think his estimates on performance are optimistic

This is because the manufacture uses G1 standard bullet BC's. This is where the problem and misconception lies. G1 bullet BC's are banned by velocity, resulting in a magic high exciting number at the Muzzle due to the lighting speeds of velocity, thus results in a high G1 bullet BC figures that relates to nothing down range as the velocitie banned bullet BC depletes quickly along with the bullets velocity.

The numbers you see floathing around for the 40 grain bullets, from my own testing, out to 600 yards off 0.230-0.245 for the 39 grain SBK. This is not a false maufacturing figure, but more off average down range figure through the various velocity banned velocities and ranges resulting in lower BC figures as velocity and bullet BC depletes or decaes.

The 39 SBK does have a bullet BC off around 0.287 at 3600 ftps + but as above it drops rapidly along with the velocity as it passes through the velocity banded boundreys.

Thus resulting in a lower real life average figure being more accurate when used in Ballistic programs.

Steve

Archived